Author Topic: Balester to depart Syracuse, convert to reliever  (Read 18214 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I'll sort through this and split out the Lannan talk after the game tonight but for now I'd like to ask everyone (myself included) to keep this thread on-topic.  Hope Bally turns into a kick-ass pen arm :thumbs:

It seems every topic turns into Lannan discussion now a days (let alone offtopic)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Every day in the majors is a day of service, whether on the mound or in between starts or in the pen. Collin, just keep throwing strikes, you have a heck of a support system.

It sure doesn't hurt that Bally is a model Rizzo-type player.

As is Lannan. I don't hate Lannan or think he sucks. How many times do I need to say it? I just wanted to bring up the roster management idea, because armchair GM is my favorite aspect of the game.

This organization is in turmoil because it has a huge influx of top talent for the very first time. No Josh Karps or Kory Casto's at the top of the rankings. And guys like Bally and Lannan and Stammen that do have major league skills need to find their niche.

But a class act with 2 really good pitches and a healthy arm should stick around. As should a lefty with a heck of a pitching intellect.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Every day in the majors is a day of service, whether on the mound or in between starts or in the pen. Collin, just keep throwing strikes, you have a heck of a support system.

It sure doesn't hurt that Bally is a model Rizzo-type player.

As is Lannan. I don't hate Lannan or think he sucks. How many times do I need to say it? I just wanted to bring up the roster management idea, because armchair GM is my favorite aspect of the game.

This organization is in turmoil because it has a huge influx of top talent for the very first time. No Josh Karps or Kory Casto's at the top of the rankings. And guys like Bally and Lannan and Stammen that do have major league skills need to find their niche.

But a class act with 2 really good pitches and a healthy arm should stick around. As should a lefty with a heck of a pitching intellect.
Very good point about Bally being a Rizzo guy. Bally is a Rizzo guy only from a power right handed arm out of the bullpen. Not as a Starter. Stammen, Lannan is more the Rizzo type mold they are looking for in a Starter. Yes, Strasburg is a power pitcher and he is something special and he will be our ACE for years to come. With Balester, It will good to have another young power arm in the pen other than Capps.

Offline PANatsFan

Actually, that's a super cool point that I didn't mean to make :lol: Fastball/Curve from Bally is something to look forward to.

But I meant he's the class-act, high character, Strasburg/Kennedy/Zim type.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Very good point about Bally being a Rizzo guy. Bally is a Rizzo guy only from a power right handed arm out of the bullpen. Not as a Starter. Stammen, Lannan is more the Rizzo type mold they are looking for in a Starter. Yes, Strasburg is a power pitcher and he is something special and he will be our ACE for years to come. With Balester, It will good to have another young power arm in the pen other than Capps.

That kind of combo works.  Pitch to contact groundball pitchers can go deeper into games, and power arms generate swings and misses in higher leverage situations late.  That is a nice combo.  Hope things work for Bally.  If he turns into Manny Delcarmen or even JJ Putz, we'll be extremely happy.  good luck, and don't forget us when you get your awards.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Collin has three really good pitches. His Fastball, Curve and Change up. I wouldn't want him to learn a slider or fork ball. To me it puts too much stress on an elbow. He can get guys out effectively on those three pitches when he faces guys once during a game.
We all feel his career is ready to take off after the learning curve the Nats are putting him through. The Nats are looking into the future as the look back to what they have already in their system.

Offline PANatsFan

Collin has three really good pitches. His Fastball, Curve and Change up.

I don't remember his change up. He'll have to hurry to the majors to remind me what it looks like :lol:

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Nice to have the surfer back!

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
If Bally takes to the transition well he could be an option at mid season. The bullpen could look like...
 Clippard, Storen, Capps, Balester, Slaten,Burnett,Walker and a rotation of
 Lannan, Strasburg, Wang, Hernandez,Olsen with Atilano, J Zimmermann and Detwiler ready in the Minors.
 Marquis on the DL.   This team could be in a playoff hunt after the All-star break.  

Offline CJames0569

Bally get here soon, we can't take anymore of Bruney blowing the game.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
One thing about Balester he won't be afraid to challenge the hitters. He is concentrating on one thing now... OUTS! He's ready for the challenge and he's ready to take the next step! Good Luck, Balester!

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
As a starter, back in 2008 ,Balester took a 6-1 lead into the 8th inning against the Fish and the Nats ended up losing 8-7 after the bullpen tanked. Collin remembers that feeling he had and he doesn't want to have the starters have that feeling when he is relieving them. His experience as a starter will be so valuable to the Nats now.

Bullpen pitching is a different mindset. You can throw what your best pitches are and you don't have to worry about holding stuff back for the second time through the lineup.  Slaten/Walker mid to long relief, Bally/Brunett in the 7th, Clippard/Storen in the 8th and Capps/Storen to close it out in the 9th. Now I'm starting to get excited!  :woop:

Offline PANatsFan

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Marquis to DL is after Allstar break if his rehab doesn't go well. I'm just doing certain scenerios.

Offline PANatsFan

Marquis to DL is after Allstar break if his rehab doesn't go well. I'm just doing certain scenerios.

It's just a tough situation at that point. I don't think Marquis is even allowed to be traded due to a veteran multi-year deal. Livo or Lannan will bring a nice return. You can't get rid of Olsen. Or maybe you trade Olsen for something really good.

Just giving you a hard time by singling out like 3 words from a huge paragraph.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Balester's first relief appearance... in Orlando against the Braves Minor league club,

2 innings, 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 BB's, 0 k's, 0 errors  0.00 ERA

Thats a good start to his transition, even though they look at him as a Reliever and a Starter within the Nats organization. He could be a valuable commodity for the Nats if Marquis is out till next year.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Is he still rocking the epic mustache?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Is he still rocking the epic mustache?

how the heck did it take 4 pages for someone to ask about the stache?

http://twitter.com/thestacheobally

No updates since January, I'm worried.

Offline cachemoney

He was still rockin' it during Strasburgs first start last week.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Balester to pitch another two innings today. This is after two days rest. He says his arm feels so strong. He wants to put it together as soon as possible. They are building his arm for every two to three days work out of the pen. After today he pitches on Monday again. They put him in to pitch the 4th and 5th innings then two days later the 6th and 7th innings. They will use him in the bigs in long relief or a 7th inning guy. Just keeping the board informed as to his progress. Should be at AAA first of June. Then possibly in the bigs in July if things go well at AAA. If not, he will continue to learn his new craft in AAA and be ready whenever they seem fit to call on him. :thumbs:
http://twitter.com/ballystar40

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Sounds great, Spinman. Thanks for the updates.

Offline UMDNats

ballystar40
2 innings 3 hits 1 run 0 walks 3 strikeouts. Felt great today. Arms bouncing back great. Ready for my next outing in returning to the cuse.

Offline PANatsFan

Wow, that was a short stay in FL. Strike em out CB.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Balester's line on todays game in FL pitching in the 6th and 7th innings... 2 innings, 1 run, 3 hits (singles), 0 BB's, 3K's.
Bally's numbers so far into the transition... 4 innings, 1 run, 3 hits, 0BB's, 3K's, ERA 2.25
       Spin Williams to come next week for evaluation on Bally's next outing and to check out the progress of  J Zimmermann, Wang and Detwiler. I'm lovin' the way the Nats are handling these guys. The Nats have fresh troops getting ready when they are needed. This is an awesome sign as to the quality of the Nats depth thanks in part to the way Rizzo is handling the organization. :clap:

Offline Dave B

The team needs every win it can get till Strasburg and Co. arrive. Divisional wins are worth more than any other win because they help with tiebreakers

i know this is secondary to this topic, but did i miss something and mlb institute tiebreakers instead of one game playoffs?