Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 57138 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #600: September 15, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
Depends on where I'd like to play, but the main thing would be hitting for me. Guessing the rook league would be guys throwing the hard stuff, but offspeed stuff would be where I need the work.

I'd probably be using a 33"/32 oz - 34 oz balanced. Also haven't taken a cut with a wooden bat in ages either, so that should be fun to work with.

Barnstable Bat Co.  Official bat maker for the Cape League.  I have the 110 and the 243 in Birch.  My son calls the 243 the "Boom Stick."

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #601: September 15, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
Barnstable Bat Co.  Official bat maker for the Cape League.  I have the 110 and the 243 in Birch.  My son calls the 243 the "Boom Stick."

You hit in the cage with that or use metal?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #602: September 15, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
So .... odd ... when I played baseball, I preferred pitches a little higher than my waist and on the outer half of the plate.

Your swing must've been as long as Zimmerman's.  Did you only hit .214 too?   :lol:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #603: September 15, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »
Your swing must've been as long as Zimmerman's.  Did you only hit .214 too?   :lol:

Pssh... Slate wishes he had a leg kick like Zimmerman's.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #604: September 15, 2016, 11:04:18 AM »

You're encouraged to use birch in the cages because the more you make contact the more compact the wood becomes - over time it acts more like maple.

I would recommend ash or birch for longevitey of bat life.  Birch is really expensive but you usually get a long life out of it (unless you keep swinging and making contact with the handle of the bat...).

I will admit to getting nervous in cages and swinging aluminum - especially early in the winter workouts until I get my mechanics right again.

https://barnstablebat.com/

I couldn't be happier with my purchases. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #605: September 15, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
Most people aren't generally comfortable with 90+ mph getting close to you. And I liked my extension :lol:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #606: September 15, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
What team?  I played in the NABA for the River Dogs in 1999-2000-2001.
In the NABA, we were the Giants.

We moved to the MSBL when the 30+ division dropped to 5 teams and renamed ourselves the Mud City Manglers.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #607: September 16, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »
You're encouraged to use birch in the cages because the more you make contact the more compact the wood becomes - over time it acts more like maple.

I would recommend ash or birch for longevitey of bat life.  Birch is really expensive but you usually get a long life out of it (unless you keep swinging and making contact with the handle of the bat...).

I will admit to getting nervous in cages and swinging aluminum - especially early in the winter workouts until I get my mechanics right again.

https://barnstablebat.com/

I couldn't be happier with my purchases. 

Nice. Sounds like a good company to keep in mind if I do get a wooden bat.

It'd be fun to DIY a bat on a lathe.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #608: September 16, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
Nice. Sounds like a good company to keep in mind if I do get a wooden bat.

It'd be fun to DIY a bat on a lathe.

My hometown so I'll admit to being a bit biased...  :lol:

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #609: September 16, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »

Most cage places here let you rent the tunnel and if you want to hit off the machine you can if you're alone or with a friend and no one wants to throw BP to each other. Usually I will go with a friend or two and rent it for 45 minutes and we warm up for 5 minutes then throw BP to each other with baseballs instead of hitting off the machine with those rubber balls that destroys bats.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #610: September 27, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
We're in the playoffs and the team we were playing couldn't throw it back to the pitcher, just balloon after balloon. In the third inning, every time we had a runner on first and second base open we went. We scored six runs that inning. I even stole home on him. Poor guy had no idea what he was doing back there. They switched catchers the next inning.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #611: September 27, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
We're in the playoffs and the team we were playing couldn't throw it back to the pitcher, just balloon after balloon. In the third inning, every time we had a runner on first and second base open we went. We scored six runs that inning. I even stole home on him. Poor guy had no idea what he was doing back there. They switched catchers the next inning.

Ouch. Nice job getting the :w: , but that team's probably going to cut that bum this morning!!!!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #612: September 27, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
Ouch. Nice job getting the :w: , but that team's probably going to cut that bum this morning!!!!
We'll see if he's on the squad next year. It's a church team, and they've struggled to find players consistently the past couple of years, so unless we just ran the fun right out of him, he might be back.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #613: September 27, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
We'll see if he's on the squad next year. It's a church team, and they've struggled to find players consistently the past couple of years, so unless we just ran the fun right out of him, he might be back.

That's another easy :w: next season then. Maybe they can get Ramos...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #614: November 17, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »
Beginning to look like I'll be playing in the Florida tournament again in January.  This time it will be held on the Houston Astros S.T. complex.

:clap:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #615: November 17, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
Beginning to look like I'll be playing in the Florida tournament again in January.  This time it will be held on the Houston Astros S.T. complex.

The new one?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #616: November 17, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »
The new one?

SADLY no.  The Osceola Baseball Complex.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #617: November 17, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
SADLY no.  The Osceola Baseball Complex.
Sounds like fun either way. Have a good time.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #618: November 17, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
Sounds like fun either way. Have a good time.

Hoping to.  Prospects look promising right now!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #619: November 17, 2016, 07:45:28 PM »

BADASS!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #620: November 28, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
Just sent the forms in to play!  I'm to the point where I have to make sure that the wife and kids can join me so I can go and play guilt-free!   :lol:

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #621: February 01, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
Letting Mint down. Was gonna try and play, but sticking to softball again this spring.

Offline whytev

« Reply #622: February 02, 2017, 01:42:56 AM »
Our league was such a hit we're able to expand to twice the number of teams!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #623: February 02, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
Letting Mint down. Was gonna try and play, but sticking to softball again this spring.

Take the chance.  You won't regret it!

Our league was such a hit we're able to expand to twice the number of teams!

That's awesome.  Make sure the league controls its growth.  Don't have more teams than you have players for.  Forfeits suck.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #624: February 02, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »
Take the chance.  You won't regret it!

Work is gonna take up too much time on the evening/weekends (in a good way!), and I'm still out of shape.  :hysterical: