Author Topic: Texas school challenges ump with lawsuit  (Read 510 times)

Offline houston-nat

Texas school challenges ump with lawsuit
« Topic Start: May 19, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
A judge Friday thwarted an attempt by South San High School's baseball team to stay in the playoffs by challenging an umpire's controversial call to the legal system.

“Even though I don't like what happened — the umpire probably made some mistakes in this case — I don't see a reason to grant an injunction,” state District Judge David Berchelmann said as South San players and parents sat in the presiding courtroom gallery at the Bexar County Courthouse.

South San Antonio Independent School District trustees unanimously voted Thursday to seek a temporary restraining order against North East ISD and the University Interscholastic League following a loss last Saturday to Johnson High School in the Class 5A baseball playoffs.

The order could have delayed Johnson's Friday playoff game until the matter was settled in court. The judge's ruling ends the case, South San school board President Connie Prado said after the hearing.

The dispute centered on a UIL regulation that limits high school pitchers to 10 innings per day. South San officials have argued the rule doesn't apply to postseason play.

South San's Eric Garcia was in the middle of his 11th inning pitching, in the second game of a doubleheader, when NEISD's athletic director walked onto the field with a UIL official on the phone and handed it to the umpire, lawyers told the judge Friday. The umpire then reversed a prior decision to let Garcia continue pitching, taking him off the mound and erasing two outs that South San had already made, they said. Johnson ended up beating South San 5-4, with one of the runs scored during the disputed inning.

Phil Marzec, an attorney for South San ISD, said it was wrong for NEISD “to interfere with the process of the umpire's responsibility for calling the game as he sees fit.”

Full story

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Texas school challenges ump with lawsuit
« Reply #1: May 19, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
All I took from that story is that those two schools have Coladaritis of the names.  Seriously, when even the acronym of your school's name is awkward and unpronouncable, you need to rethink things.

:mg:

And yeah, that's pretty effed up.  Hopefully the Advil school gets handed its ass in the playoffs.

Offline houston-nat

Re: Texas school challenges ump with lawsuit
« Reply #2: May 19, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
All I took from that story is that those two schools have Coladaritis of the names.  Seriously, when even the acronym of your school's name is awkward and unpronouncable, you need to rethink things.

The worst is the high school my little bro graduated from, in Boerne, TX. They wanted to name it after a guy named Samuel V. Champion, but they also wanted everyone to know it was in Boerne, so ultimately they went with "Boerne--Samuel V. Champion High School" and sportswriters have to call it "Boerne--Champion." Or BSVCHS I guess.