Author Topic: Free Agency Rating System  (Read 425 times)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Free Agency Rating System
« Topic Start: November 29, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101126&content_id=16214992&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Considering how bad the current system is at times, what would you do to fix it?

I'm thinking batters get rated by OBP, SLG, UZR & WAR and pitchers by K/BB, FIP, WHIP & WAR.

Not sure how I'd group the various positions.  Maybe MI/CF/C, CI/COF, SP, RP?

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Free Agency Rating System
« Reply #1: November 29, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
I like the list, but I'd add AB and IP with huge weight going to IP so that relievers don't get screwed. 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #2: November 29, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
I like the list, but I'd add AB and IP with huge weight going to IP so that relievers don't get screwed. 

Like that a lot.  Maybe PA instead of AB for batters.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: November 29, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101126&content_id=16214992&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Considering how bad the current system is at times, what would you do to fix it?

I'm thinking batters get rated by OBP, SLG, UZR & WAR and pitchers by K/BB, FIP, WHIP & WAR.

Not sure how I'd group the various positions.  Maybe MI/CF/C, CI/COF, SP, RP?
I don't like using WAR along with its components.  It is a meta-stat based on some of the others like UZR for fielders and FIP for pitchers.  FIP in turn is based on K rates and BB rates, so that is not as good as the component measures, methinks. WAR includes a playing time element b/c it is a counting stat.

I do think defense should be weighted in, but I'd look for multiple systems like DRS and total zone and average the ratings.  I'd use something like OPS+ rather than the OPS components to correct for park effects and to have something that is scaled to league average.  PAs are important, and some sort weighting of these factors.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #4: November 29, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
WAR/150 then?