Author Topic: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 3  (Read 24979 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 3
« Reply #650: May 21, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »
are you serious?  i'm not a kearns or nieves fan.  they sucked, but what do you expect neither of them are on a winning team.  and wow was hanrahan bad. 

Yes, I'm dog-dead serious.  Still we had twenty LOB as a team.  Again, Hanrahan was bad, but not THE reason we lost.  He was just one of the many factors that contributed to losing.

In Game 2's GDT, everyone jumped all over sportsfan for claiming that Dunn's homer was meaningless.  His critics said, "ARE YOU freakING INSANE?  HIS RUN DIRECTLY LED TO THE TYING OF THE GAME!  THE HOMER DIDN'T TIE THE GAME BUT IT LED TO THE TIE!  YOU'RE A freakING MORON!!!!!!"  So then, where o where are those same people who called him a moron this morning to say, "you know, if Nieves or Kearns hadn't GIDPed or if Dunn, Nieves, Zimmerman and Kearns didn't collectively leave 14 runners on base - IF WE COULD'VE BOUGHT EVEN ONE freakING TIMELY HIT FROM ANYONE IN THE LINEUP AT ANY POINT IN TIME MAYBE, JUST MAYBE HANRAHAN CAN ALLOW A RUN AND WE'D STILL WIN THE freakING GAME!"  But no.  It's all Hanrahan's fault - the offense is completely absolved from blame even though they only managed one run against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

You're right.  I'm way off base. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #651: May 21, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »
It's all Hanrahan's fault - the offense is completely absolved from blame even though they only managed one run against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

You're right.  I'm way off base. 

um i just blamed kearns and nieves they both hurt us - those two wouldn't be on a winning team - but hanrahan just continues to be bad too and you lose the game on a wild pitch ... unacceptable.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #652: May 21, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
Today there wasn't much to be pissed off about other than that Joel Hanrahan.  The offense had plenty of chances (Austin Kearns is still here b/c why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) but Joel cost us the game. 

That's what you said.  Right there you said, "Joel cost us the game." 

I'm saying it's preposterous to say he did it alone.  His wild pitch led to the winning run, but if the offense had at all done what it's supposed to do he wouldn't have been in that position.  This, by the way, is the claim that people were making in GDT Game 2 when they said Dunn's homer was important.  If in one game you're going to claim that earlier actions led to the outcome in the end (tying the game for Joel to blow it) then you need to hold them accountable for the lack of production which led to losing the game.

That's all.  Joel threw the wild pitch that lost the game.  But if the offense had five runs, that run doesn't matter.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #653: May 21, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
That's what you said.  Right there you said, "Joel cost us the game." 

I'm saying it's preposterous to say he did it alone.  His wild pitch led to the winning run, but if the offense had at all done what it's supposed to do he wouldn't have been in that position.  This, by the way, is the claim that people were making in GDT Game 2 when they said Dunn's homer was important.  If in one game you're going to claim that earlier actions led to the outcome in the end (tying the game for Joel to blow it) then you need to hold them accountable for the lack of production which led to losing the game.

That's all.  Joel threw the wild pitch that lost the game.  But if the offense had five runs, that run doesn't matter.

stop dragging game 2 into this.  dunn's homer was a big long ball for us the other day and helped the team get back into it.  in the end joel lost the game with the wild pitch.  sure josh willingham could've tied it but he didn't get all of it.  sure it would've helped if kearns and nieves could actually hit.  plenty of blame to go around, but joel messed up at the end and there goes the game.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #654: May 21, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »
You cannot hang this solely on Hanrahan.  He came into a game which was tied and allowed one run on a wild pitch.  If the offense had managed to scrape across two runs anywhere along the way we win that game.  If Zimmerman goes 4-for-5 last night and drives in four runs and we win 5-2 (even with Joel's WP) none of this matters.

EDIT:

This was supposed to be in response to Chief but he deleted his post.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #655: May 21, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
stop dragging game 2 into this.  dunn's homer was a big long ball for us the other day and helped the team get back into it.

So then where was it in game three when it mattered?  How about a clutch hit from "Kid Clutch?"  How about anything but a DP from "Rally Killer" Kearns or Nieves?  ANYTHING helps.  You refuse to lay the blame on the offense because right now you believe they're infalliable.  Last night the offense could've done their part to win the game.  They didn't.  Yes, Hanrahan threw the WP that lost the game, but the offense scored one run and Nieves didn't do the job a freaking paid professional catcher is expected to do.

sure josh willingham could've tied it but he didn't get all of it.  sure it would've helped if kearns and nieves could actually hit.  plenty of blame to go around, but joel messed up at the end and there goes the game.

Willingham was bad luck.  And no matter what you think you're saying, you still think Hanrahan cost us that game.  He didn't do it by himself.  I guess it would just be too much to ask of you to criticize your pet players though.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #656: May 21, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »
EDIT:

This was supposed to be in response to Chief but he deleted his post.

Sorry, I didn't see the point (of my post)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #657: May 21, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
Sorry, I didn't see the point (of my post)

'sall good.  I just didn't want hammondsnats to think I was responding to him.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #658: May 21, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
I'm just pissed 'cause now I'm 0-1 in the GDT's    >:(

Offline blue911

« Reply #659: May 21, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »
Two more errors last night. Yeah the bullpen blows but the defense is just as bad. One could even argue that the defense is worse than the bullpen (using stats and what not). Last year the Nationals were one of the worst scoring teams in baseball. But there were signs that the bullpen was ready to explode. And the Nationals only made cosmetic changes in the staff (Olsen & Cabrera for Redding & Perez). Great they signed Adam Dunn, but offense really wasn't the biggest problem, is was just the easiest to fix. Now the Nationals will overlook their piss poor defense and probably sign a couple of relievers but the team won't get better. They'll just keep pushing the pile of crap from one corner to the next.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #660: May 21, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
So then where was it in game three when it mattered?  How about a clutch hit from "Kid Clutch?"  How about anything but a DP from "Rally Killer" Kearns or Nieves?  ANYTHING helps.  You refuse to lay the blame on the offense because right now you believe they're infalliable.  Last night the offense could've done their part to win the game.  They didn't.  Yes, Hanrahan threw the WP that lost the game, but the offense scored one run and Nieves didn't do the job a freaking paid professional catcher is expected to do.

Willingham was bad luck.  And no matter what you think you're saying, you still think Hanrahan cost us that game.  He didn't do it by himself.  I guess it would just be too much to ask of you to criticize your pet players though.

LOL Minty picking a fight just to pick one.  I think it's a hilarious premise. 

Again blame could go around and around, but it was the fact that in a tie game, Hanrahan made his own bed than crap in it and there went the tie.  Our offense had been scoring five runs a game in its past 10 and last night they had a bad night.  Kearns deserves blame, sure, we're used to him not coming through in the clutch.  Nieves is nothing but a backup catcher (I would love a better option to throw out there than him).  But again it's Hanrahan coming in - game on the line or no pressure situation - and he blows it. 

I don't see why he's on the team anymore.  Owner of a 0-2 record, 6.87 ERA, 3 blown saves ... 14 earned runs in 18.1 innings.

Whatever I'm done talking about this.  the Nats are 11-28 and it's only gonna get worse.