Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50081 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Book Thread
« Reply #600: August 31, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
:spit:
If Trump becomes President he may get a cabinet post.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #601: August 31, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
Very nice VaRK  ...   Did ya mention WNFF?    :)   If ya did, that's probably what pissed him off and made him do it.

:crackup: thanks for the laugh and the pics VaRK, so funny :lol:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #602: February 01, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
While I was layed up with a stress fracture in my leg last year I dusted off my library card and was ripping thru the WEB Griffin series of books. Awesome stuff.  I've read all those so I'm well into Baldacci's books.   :thumbs:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #603: February 01, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
While I was layed up with a stress fracture in my leg last year I dusted off my library card and was ripping thru the WEB Griffin series of books. Awesome stuff.  I've read all those so I'm well into Baldacci's books.   :thumbs:

Glad you found and bumped this thread.    Hope you're mendin'.     A book was recommended to me titled "Playing Through the Whistle  ...  Steel, Football and an American Town".    It's a fair description of the mills, culture, social changes and football (Ditka, Ty Law, Revis, Sean Gilbert, the Dorsett family, etc.) of Aliquippa, PA.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #604: February 01, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
Hope you're mendin'.

Thanks. Was off work for 3 (glorious) months, went back to work, a month later the leg started hurting again. So I went from working 2 jobs down to 1. Quit the one that involved so much standing (getting too old for that stuff).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #605: February 01, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »
Thanks. Was off work for 3 (glorious) months, went back to work, a month later the leg started hurting again. So I went from working 2 jobs down to 1. Quit the one that involved so much standing (getting too old for that stuff).

:thumbs:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #606: February 04, 2017, 12:18:31 AM »
I've seen those books a lot but never read any Griffin. Tell me more? I read on my Kindle mostly. Also I know nothing of Baldacci. If you haven't read it, I suggest 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I love King and this is one of his best. The series on HULU was excellent.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #607: February 04, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
If you're looking for easy reading series with good characters (detectives/police), try John Sanford's Lucas Danvenport and Virgil Flowers series. Entertaining, humorous, fast reading. If you want something a little darker, with more damaged - but realistic - characters, it's hard to beat Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and  Mick Haller.

You'll want to live John Sanford's characters' lives. Connelly's characters' internal struggles will ring familiar to most of us. :)

Scott Pratt has a pretty good series that are published on Kindle (and so much cheaper). Mark Gimenez does too. Gimenez has a style that can be annoying if you read too many in a row.

If you can find any of George Pelecanos' book "on sale" on Kindle, you might like him too. Gritty, realistic.

I've seen those books a lot but never read any Griffin. Tell me more? I read on my Kindle mostly. Also I know nothing of Baldacci. If you haven't read it, I suggest 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I love King and this is one of his best. The series on HULU was excellent.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #608: February 04, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »

Almost all of Griffin's books are in a series.  You can start with the first in the series or pick one and it's still a great read.  One series will follow some characters in the Marines during WWII and then onto Korea.  Another series is about the Army during the same timeframe.  Another is about the exploits of the OSS in Argentina during the war.  Another is about the OSS in post WWII Europe.  Another is about the Philadelphia PD. All fiction and the main character in each series comes from an old money family.  All terrific reads.

Baldacci is a NoVa guy so he writes murder/CIA/mysteries that take place mostly in the DC area.  It's funny reading a spy thriller where someone goes to the Amphorra Restaurant in Vienna or the Inn at Little Washington.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #609: February 04, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »
still workomg my way through wheel of time, Im thinking this turms into a multi year project

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #610: February 04, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
W
If you're looking for easy reading series with good characters (detectives/police), try John Sanford's Lucas Danvenport and Virgil Flowers series. Entertaining, humorous, fast reading. If you want something a little darker, with more damaged - but realistic - characters, it's hard to beat Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and  Mick Haller.

You'll want to live John Sanford's characters' lives. Connelly's characters' internal struggles will ring familiar to most of us. :)

Scott Pratt has a pretty good series that are published on Kindle (and so much cheaper). Mark Gimenez does too. Gimenez has a style that can be annoying if you read too many in a row.

If you can find any of George Pelecanos' book "on sale" on Kindle, you might like him too. Gritty, realistic.

Watched the series Bosch and really like it. I'm gonna have to check out the books.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #611: February 05, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
I watched it too. The books are so much better. Well, it's rare that I don't think that, I guess.

WWatched the series Bosch and really like it. I'm gonna have to check out the books.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #612: May 19, 2017, 11:00:05 AM »
Just recently finished reading a book that many here should be interested in. I don't know if it has been mentioned before or not. Probably it has and everyone has moved on from it.
You Gotta Have Heart: A History of Washington Baseball From 1859 to the 2012 National League East Champions by Frederic J. Frommer

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17386861-you-gotta-have-heart

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #613: June 03, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
I just finished My Losing Season by Pat Conroy.  A bit long but still a pretty good read.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #614: January 04, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
Got 3 for Christmas - The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert, a story about Eustace Conway (look him up, remarkable character).  Finished already.

River of Doubt - Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey, by Candice Millard.  Love this one, am about 1/3 of the way in and they've just now shoved off on the downstream side, it's about to get nasty.    :nervous:

The Great Halifax Explosion: A World War I Story of Treachery, Tragedy, and Extraordinary Heroism
by John U. Bacon

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #615: January 04, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »
Got 3 for Christmas - The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert, a story about Eustace Conway (look him up, remarkable character).  Finished already.

River of Doubt - Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey, by Candice Millard.  Love this one, am about 1/3 of the way in and they've just now shoved off on the downstream side, it's about to get nasty.    :nervous:

The Great Halifax Explosion: A World War I Story of Treachery, Tragedy, and Extraordinary Heroism
by John U. Bacon

I’ll be interested to hear about the Bacon book. Interestingly from our convo on the other thread, he wrote the definitive history of the Rich Rod years at Michigan. It was called “Three and Out.”  Gave me a different perspective and made me realize he had no chance from the beginning. He also wrote a book on the resurgence of the program. He’s a very good writer.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #616: January 04, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
Reading "Lafayette" by Harlow Unger.    Wanna read "Contentment, The Life and Times of Jacob Hertzler Pioneer Amish Bishop 1703-1786" by William McGrath.      Jacob is an ancestor and I wanna check his life out in a little more detail.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #617: January 04, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
  Wanna read "Contentment, The Life and Times of Jacob Hertzler Pioneer Amish Bishop 1703-1786" by William McGrath.      Jacob is an ancestor and I wanna check his life out in a little more detail.

You're Amish? :shock:  :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #618: January 04, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
You're Amish? :shock:  :mg:

Several of my Amish lines go back to the 17 hundreds in North America.    My line ended up in Western PA.   :)    I believe my GGrandmother kind of fell away from the order even though her parents are buried in the Old Amish Cemetery in New Wilmington, PA.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #619: January 04, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
Several of my Amish lines go back to the 17 hundreds in North America   ....   Hertzlers, Kauffmans, etc.    My line ended up in Western PA.   :)    I believe my GGrandmother kind of fell away from the order even though her parents are buried in the Old Amish Cemetery in New Wilmington, PA.

that is so cool to know your family history like that!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #620: January 04, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »

There's a lot of history to know.    I've got a whole room of stuff.     Did I tell you I'm a distant cousin of Halle Berry (through her mom)?     Got some common genes.    That's why we're so good lookin'.     :)      Missus sez I got short changed.

Offline wj73

« Reply #621: January 04, 2018, 05:21:06 PM »
I’ve gotten a lot of reading done this year.

Just finished “Bluebird Bluebird”. Very taut murder mystery - Black Texas Ranger investigating two murders in small town in East Texas where the Aryan Brotherhood is quite active and there are long-hidden secrets, all of which makes things very very dicey.  I couldn’t put it down.

“American War” was very dark reading. I stopped reading a few times because it was so dark, but then I’d get curious about the characters and their world (the US about 150 years in the future during the Second American Civil War) and kept going back to it.

“Being Mortal” was an excellent overview of the process of aging and death in the US, how those experiences have become so medicalized, and ideas on how those experiences can be improved.

I liked “Lincoln in the Bardo” but I think it’s one of those book you either love or hate.

Loved “Code Girls” - the forgotten story of the hundreds of women recruited and trained to break German and Japanese codes during WWII.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #622: January 04, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
I’ve gotten a lot of reading done this year.

Just finished “Bluebird Bluebird”. Very taut murder mystery - Black Texas Ranger investigating two murders in small town in East Texas where the Aryan Brotherhood is quite active and there are long-hidden secrets, all of which makes things very very dicey.  I couldn’t put it down.

“American War” was very dark reading. I stopped reading a few times because it was so dark, but then I’d get curious about the characters and their world (the US about 150 years in the future during the Second American Civil War) and kept going back to it.

“Being Mortal” was an excellent overview of the process of aging and death in the US, how those experiences have become so medicalized, and ideas on how those experiences can be improved.

I liked “Lincoln in the Bardo” but I think it’s one of those book you either love or hate.

Loved “Code Girls” - the forgotten story of the hundreds of women recruited and trained to break German and Japanese codes during WWII.

“American War” was great. I read it in 3 days. But it’s incredibly dark. And for the most part not completely implausible.

Offline wj73

« Reply #623: January 04, 2018, 06:03:50 PM »
“American War” was great. I read it in 3 days. But it’s incredibly dark. And for the most part not completely implausible.

I think the plausibility is what scared me.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #624: January 04, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »

He was there for most of it...