Author Topic: Rosenblatt gone post 2010 - New Stadium replace - Now another new one  (Read 12175 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense.

Tear down a well loved site of the College World Series.
Build a bigger one in the city.
Now they want ANOTHER NEW stadium (in this economy), because the one that will be opening for the College World Series will be too big!  PUH LEESE!   :shock:

http://www.examiner.com/a-1723243~Omaha_Royals_moving_forward_on_suburban_stadium.html

Offline DPMOmaha

Yep, it's a little ridiculous.  But, the new stadium (and Rosenblatt) are not what the Royals need and the city was completely unwilling to work with the Royals to keep them, both in town and in the new building which could very likely sit idle for the better part of 50 weeks out of the year, though the revenues the CWS generates would offset the cost of building the new stadium.  The city can't afford to lose the event.  This other stadium would be build in the suburbs and techincally not in Omaha, it's in Sarpy County which borders Otown and I'd say the most likely location is in LaVista.  The ORoyals have said they'd be willing to ponie up some of the cash so the tax burden on the community shouldn't be too much.  Hopefully a private entity will partner in the plans and potentially keep any tax burden off the community.  I think the community would be foolish to not snatch up the team, the potential return for their economy, I think outweighs the initial investment which for this community isn't insignificant.  This area has been fairly insulated from the downturn in the econony.  I expect it to hit before too much longer, everything gets to Nebraska later than everywhere else, my grandfather still wears a suit from the 70's.  It's not a bad move for the Royals or LaVista, it's Omaha that dropped the proverbial ball on this one.

Offline DPMOmaha

Also keep in mind that this is just a "memorandum of understanding" between the ORoyals and the county to give the county the exclusive first opportunity to negotiate with the team.  This is not a contract to build or move though I fully expect it to get there, that's not what this is.  This is the first step of negotiations for where the Royals will be when Rosenblatt is torn down. 

Offline CALSGR8

So do the Royals play at Rosenblatt in the mean time or is their stay contingent on getting a new park and getting it soon?

Offline DPMOmaha

The Royals have always played at Rosenblatt and they have a contract there through 2010 I believe, maybe 2011.  They will not be playing at the new park unless there are some serious concessions made by the city that they have been very vocal about saying they will not extend.  The Royals GM has not closed the door on the possibility of playing at the new park, but it's all posturing at this point.  It will either be at this new park or they will skip town. 

Offline natsdad

The new stadium was part odf the deal with the NCAA to keep the baseball finals in Omaha.  This is old news.

Offline DPMOmaha

But the second park in the suburbs is not.  Most people thought it was a log shot for them to even get the opportunity to negotiate with the team.  Now that they do it changes the whole scope of the situation.  I'm not sure that what happens with at AAA team in suburban Omaha has much impact on the Nats or the DC area, but it is an interesting situation.

Offline CALSGR8

I thought "The FARM" meant all minor league discussion which is why I put the post here.  Mainly because I thought if they have a perfectly good new stadium already going in for the College WS, why insist on a new one for a minor league team also!  The College WS, while a wonderful event that I hope to attend some day is only ___ weeks a year?  Where as if the Omaha Royals used the same stadium, it would at least be used 3 months a year.  I'm not sure if the Omaha team is a short season team or not.

You could certainly have the Royals on the Road when the College WS is in town. 

Offline DPMOmaha

The ORoyals are the AAA affiliate for Kansas City.  The College World Series takes up about 2 and a half weeks in June.  And the Royals are on the road for that entire time, typically it's about a 16-18 day road trip.  Frankly, the Royals have been dying to get out of Rosenblatt for a long time.  It's not really fair to ask them to go on the road for that long, no one else does that on a consistent basis.  It was one thing for the Braves to do it when the Olympics came to Atlanta, that was a one time deal.  The ORoyals have to do it every year.  The Royals have been saying for nearly a decade that Rosenblatt does not meet their needs (and as far as AAA stadiums go, it's not very good) and that this new stadium will essentially be a more modern version of the 'Blatt.  Think if you will back to that game in Florida where there were maybe 1,500 people at the game and it looked like there was litterally nobody there.  That's what the ORoyals face every day.  Rosenblatt is in a bad location, away from most of the population base of the community, closer to downtown so it's hard to draw people back down there consistently.  It's closer to a major league stadium than it is a minor league stadium right now and that just doesn't work for minor league baseball which is all about athmosphere and entertainment than it is about who wins and who loses, at least from a fan perspective.  The Royals weren't necessarily looking for a second stadium.  They just wanted the city to work with them and the city was very unwilling to do that. 

Offline ronnynat

I'm still trying to understand the thread title. :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

I just bought tickets to the last game at Rosenblatt Stadium.  Not sure how I am supposed to feel about this.  Gonna try really hard to get tickets to the last College World Series game there too.  That's going to be a TOUGH ticket. 

Offline CALSGR8

SO is the last game rhw CWS or the last Royals game?

Offline DPMOmaha

Offline DPMOmaha

Likely the final baseball game at Rosenblatt tonight.

Offline Obed_Marsh

:'(

I will miss this stadium. For years I went there with friends and family. Be it a CWS or the Royals it was a great place for a game. For concerts, not so much.

Offline DPMOmaha

A few images from last night: The final pitch, a view of the stadium, the flyover (which was flown by my cousin).

Offline DPMOmaha

There were at least 3 Nats fans there last night: myself, Busta Mines and This guy.  The back of the jersey said "Rosenblatt".  Didn't get a great shot of that.

Offline Coladar

Uhh, yeah, that's Dan Rosenblatt. He was probably wearing his curly W cap with the DR60 on the back, which you'll often see me wearing around once every three or four home games. Our 81 game season tickets are right next to each other, second row behind Nats Dugout. I'm going up to watch the game in Pittsburgh with him tomorrow, no clue why on earth he was there at the game, much less why he was anywhere in the same state. I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

Why do I have an odd feeling that his father is the ex-Mayor who the stadium was named after? Wow. Sit with a guy for 200ish games and know him extraordinarily well, and I had no clue. Neat.

Offline DPMOmaha

Very interesting.  I doubt he's the son of Johnny Rosenblatt.  His son, Steve was there and is in his mid 70's, but he could very well be a grandson or something like that. 

Small world.  There were a lot of people that came into town just for this game, so he could have come just for the occasion, especially if he is of some relation to Johnny.

Offline CALSGR8

Maybe he was once in the CWS?

Offline DPMOmaha

so, I finally made it to Werner Park, the new home of the AAA affiliate of the Royals.  It's a really nice place to watch a ball game.  It honestly feels closer to a AA park than a AAA park, but it's really nice.

TD Ameritrade, where they now hold the CWS is phenomenal, too.  I wanted to hate it so much, but they did a great job with it.

Offline PatsNats28

Wait so they built two stadiums in Omaha?

Offline DPMOmaha

Offline RD

I went to school in Vermillion. Ever make it out that way DPM?

When I was at USD, we played UNO. Didnt do a whole lot in Omaha, but went to a bar call Brewsky's(sp?) once. Had to drive the 2 hours to watch the USC-UCLA game that year.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
so, I finally made it to Werner Park, the new home of the AAA affiliate of the Royals.  It's a really nice place to watch a ball game.  It honestly feels closer to a AA park than a AAA park, but it's really nice.

TD Ameritrade, where they now hold the CWS is phenomenal, too.  I wanted to hate it so much, but they did a great job with it.

Dang that is a small AAA park.