Author Topic: OT--Why the hell am I here? (An explanation)  (Read 2278 times)

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
OT--Why the hell am I here? (An explanation)
« Topic Start: September 24, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
When I reappeared at this message board a few weeks ago, I know I surprised some fans. In the past, I've mostly posted at this other Nats message board and kept away from here. There wasn't anything I disliked about this board---I just liked the other one. But something recently happened and I want to discuss it briefly, but AWAY from all the talk about what the Nats might do in the postseason.

The night the Nats clinched the NL East, I made a terrible mistake although I didn't realize it at the time, and couldn't have realized in advance. After the game was over, I posted something along the lines of "Wow! Watching the Nats clinch a division title in their stadium could drive some Braves fans to drink! Hopefully someone will get a designated driver---wouldn't want them to drive off a cliff!" One of the long-time posters went ballistic on me for my comments. I was puzzled, but immediately apologized. That poster apologized and then said that they were going through some personal issues since a relative died.

A light bulb suddenly flashed in my brain. This poster had mentioned this before, but I had assumed that the person in question had died a natural death. Now I figured out that that wasn't the case. I apologized again, and posted my e-mail. That poster contacted me and confirmed my suspicions---that their loved one died in the way I had joked about on the message board.

(Just for the record, in real life, I didn't make a joke about drunk driving, but I'm not taking the chance that that person might have recently joined this forum. If that's the case, I don't want to trigger any new trauma.)

That should have been the end of it, but the poster told me that they were going to stay away from the board because the other people were making that person feel unwelcome. I couldn't believe it, so I went back to the thread and discovered that these other idiots had jumped on the poster in my "defense." I was furious, and I put my foot down. I posted that even though I didn't mean offense, what I posted was wrong and that they shouldn't have attacked the poster. If they had only bothered to read what the poster had written, they would know why that poster was upset. Finally, if they were going to scare off the best person---bar none---to post on that board, I wanted no part of it. So I left.

I'd like to think that if they knew the truth, they would have immediately did a 180 and posted an apology. But I didn't want to cause more hurt nor reveal confidential information that the poster was unwilling to do so publicly. There are other message boards where you are allowed to send private messages to people. I think this is one of them, but the other one isn't. So they just think that poster is being silly and I'm being a stuck-in-the-mud.

That's about it. If the moderator thinks this message shouldn't be here, I understand if it gets deleted. But I learned the lesson the hard way not to get too carried away with Nats' victories.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: OT--Why the hell am I here? (An explanation)
« Reply #1: September 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Are you talking about the board with all the horny old guys whose homely wives haven't put out in five years?  The one with all the Al Bundy-wannabe keyboard warriors?  Yeah, they're losers.

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #2: September 24, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Are you talking about the board with all the horny old guys whose homely wives haven't put out in five years?  The one with all the Al Bundy-wannabe keyboard warriors?  Yeah, they're losers.

Maybe, but I am not going to name names. If the board you're thinking about tends to be extremely bitter---even when the Nats are playing well---yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #3: September 24, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
BippyChee?

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #4: September 24, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
I don't want to turn this thread into speculation as to WHICH board I left, nor bashing all of the members. It was just a few who posted, and considering that I was the one who made the thoughtless comment that started it all, I'm not in a position to throw stones at anybody.

Does anybody here ever had an instance where somebody said something that seemed innocuous at the time, but triggered something in somebody else who got really upset as a result?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #5: September 24, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
I don't want to turn this thread into speculation as to WHICH board I left, nor bashing all of the members. It was just a few who posted, and considering that I was the one who made the thoughtless comment that started it all, I'm not in a position to throw stones at anybody.

Does anybody here ever had an instance where somebody said something that seemed innocuous at the time, but triggered something in somebody else who got really upset as a result?

I'd hazard a guess that most, if not all, have at some point. It's life and how you deal with those errors can define you as a person. I think you went about it the right way.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: September 24, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »
When I reappeared at this message board a few weeks ago, I know I surprised some fans. In the past, I've mostly posted at this other Nats message board and kept away from here. There wasn't anything I disliked about this board---I just liked the other one. But something recently happened and I want to discuss it briefly, but AWAY from all the talk about what the Nats might do in the postseason.

The night the Nats clinched the NL East, I made a terrible mistake although I didn't realize it at the time, and couldn't have realized in advance. After the game was over, I posted something along the lines of "Wow! Watching the Nats clinch a division title in their stadium could drive some Braves fans to drink! Hopefully someone will get a designated driver---wouldn't want them to drive off a cliff!" One of the long-time posters went ballistic on me for my comments. I was puzzled, but immediately apologized. That poster apologized and then said that they were going through some personal issues since a relative died.

A light bulb suddenly flashed in my brain. This poster had mentioned this before, but I had assumed that the person in question had died a natural death. Now I figured out that that wasn't the case. I apologized again, and posted my e-mail. That poster contacted me and confirmed my suspicions---that their loved one died in the way I had joked about on the message board.

(Just for the record, in real life, I didn't make a joke about drunk driving, but I'm not taking the chance that that person might have recently joined this forum. If that's the case, I don't want to trigger any new trauma.)

That should have been the end of it, but the poster told me that they were going to stay away from the board because the other people were making that person feel unwelcome. I couldn't believe it, so I went back to the thread and discovered that these other idiots had jumped on the poster in my "defense." I was furious, and I put my foot down. I posted that even though I didn't mean offense, what I posted was wrong and that they shouldn't have attacked the poster. If they had only bothered to read what the poster had written, they would know why that poster was upset. Finally, if they were going to scare off the best person---bar none---to post on that board, I wanted no part of it. So I left.

I'd like to think that if they knew the truth, they would have immediately did a 180 and posted an apology. But I didn't want to cause more hurt nor reveal confidential information that the poster was unwilling to do so publicly. There are other message boards where you are allowed to send private messages to people. I think this is one of them, but the other one isn't. So they just think that poster is being silly and I'm being a stuck-in-the-mud.

That's about it. If the moderator thinks this message shouldn't be here, I understand if it gets deleted. But I learned the lesson the hard way not to get too carried away with Nats' victories.

Eddie.  I used to post over there under another name. It's more fun here and most do not take themselves too seriously. There are some bitter old guys over there and it was just no fun anymore.
It sounds like you didn't do anything intentionally and the person offended realizes that. If others used that to attack that person it's not your fault.  That's their problem.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #7: September 24, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
Eddie.  I used to post over there under another name. It's more fun here and most do not take themselves too seriously. There are some bitter old guys over there and it was just no fun anymore.
Our old guys here are really cool.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: September 24, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »
eddie - please think about whether you want this much detail about the incident on any board.  We probably have participants from the other board here, so what you did not want to say there is now probably known.

Whatever reason prompted you to contribute here, we are glad to have you with us.  No 'splaining needed.  We aren't Ricky and you aren't Lucy. ;)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: September 24, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »

What was the saying when we did that age poll?  "WNFF:  where 18-24 year olds come to talk with 50-60 year olds" or something like that?  :lol:

Don't know where that leaves me now :?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: September 24, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
I like to think of myself as mature rather than old.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: September 24, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
That might be a first in all of human history outside the realms of family, employment, religious practices, and formal education.
What was the saying when we did that age poll?  "WNFF:  where 18-24 year olds come to talk with 50-60 year olds" or something like that?  :lol:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #12: September 24, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
Here is the offending quote from the MLB board, it was Sofie230 who reacted poorly. 

Two little Braves sitting in the sun
One got frizzled up and then there were one

One little Brave left all alone
She went and hanged herself and then THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS ARE 2014 NL EAST CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

http://www.forums.mlb.com/discussions/Washington_Nationals/_/_/ml-washington/41942.61

(Stupid MLB board now requires that I shorten my user name to ten characters or less, I'd rather have ISIL take my head than those freaks take my 69.)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #13: September 24, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
Eddie, you didn't mean to hurt anyone, that is obvious. If others piled on that's their fault, not yours. Most folks on here (ahem) are pretty sensible and even have a good sense of humor about some of the unpleasant stuff we share. Welcome.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #14: September 24, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »
(Stupid MLB board now requires that I shorten my user name to ten characters or less, I'd rather have ISIL take my head than those freaks take my 69.)

:lmao:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: September 24, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
Do folks on that board believe it was wrong to shut down Strasburg?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: September 24, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »
Sofie230 needs some medication, because that is INSPIRED
Here is the offending quote from the MLB board, it was Sofie230 who reacted poorly. 

http://www.forums.mlb.com/discussions/Washington_Nationals/_/_/ml-washington/41942.61

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #17: September 24, 2014, 08:24:21 PM »
Maybe, but I am not going to name names. If the board you're thinking about tends to be extremely bitter---even when the Nats are playing well---yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

Wait isn't that WNFF?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #19: September 24, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »
Why do I keep thinking, "Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention"?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #20: September 24, 2014, 08:52:54 PM »
Wait isn't that WNFF?

I'd like to find the bizarro board where everyone is happy for the team no matter how we play.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: September 24, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
I'd like to find the bizarro board where everyone is happy for the team no matter how we play.

Cubs...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: September 24, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

:old:   Get off my lawn!    :old:

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #23: September 24, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
Thanks a lot guys! These last few posts gave me a laugh which I sorely needed!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: September 24, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
Do folks on that board believe it was wrong to shut down Strasburg?
What do they think about bunting?