Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 90450 times)

Offline Hogie

Brian Goodwin has ruined everything. He's clearly going to by our starting CF by 2014 so now we're not going to sign one this winter and we can't trade for any OF now.

I NEED big time moves. Just winning isn't enough for me. I need blockbuster trades or big free agent signings!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Shields would be awesome. 

Offline hammondsnats

Brian Goodwin has ruined everything. He's clearly going to by our starting CF by 2014 so now we're not going to sign one this winter and we can't trade for any OF now.

I NEED big time moves. Just winning isn't enough for me. I need blockbuster trades or big free agent signings!

i know me too. 

need some noobs on this team.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Since the average career length is just shy of 6 years (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/sports/baseball/15careers.html) you should know if someone has a decent glove about halfway through- so good stat to argue player x belongs in the hall, worthless to look at current players

Only until they change their methodology or the pre-UZR guys are all gone... :stir:

Offline hammondsnats

Quote from: @JonHeymanCBS
#nationals said trying hard on dempster. #braves in, & #tigers may be, too. 1 gm still thinks #dodgers still favorite tho

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
What would Dempster cost? He's pitching so much better than his career average.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
James Shields would be awesome to have. I really like him and if we could trade to get him then we would have the BEST rotation in baseball if you ask me.

Offline Hogie

With all these teams after Dempster, I really wonder how much less he's actually going to cost than Greinke/Hamels (not that Philly would trade Hamels to us).

If it's any legit prospects like Meyer or Goodwin, then hell no. I'd much rather give up legit prospects plus Detwiler for a guy still in his 20s who can help a team for years if we resign him.

Offline hammondsnats

demp wasn't great last year, in '10 he was decent ... in '08 and '09 he was pretty friggin awesome.

this year he's been flat out amazing.

not sure, since he's a rental and the dodgers/braves/tigers are interested.  i think he ends up in LA.

Offline hammondsnats

i want shields or liriano.  i just don't think rays will trade shields.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
i want shields or liriano.  i just don't think rays will trade shields.
mlbtraderumors is saying the Rays want a catcher, a hitter, and a young pitcher for shields.

Solano, Bernadina, and Purke? Doubt they would go for that.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Why would they want a fourth string catcher, a 4th outfielder and a injury prone lefty

Offline hammondsnats

i'd also be interested in hellickson...surprised they'd deal him. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
If it's any legit prospects like Meyer or Goodwin, then hell no. I'd much rather give up legit prospects plus Detwiler for a guy still in his 20s who can help a team for years if we resign him.

Agreed.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Let's say we acquire Dempster - and it doesn't cost us Detwiler. It's obvious what his value is AFTER we shut down Strasburg - but how would we use him until then.

If we trade him, and it doesn costs us Detwiler (bad move, IMO), that still leaves us short a starter in Septmeber.

Offline Hogie

Dempster has already been on the DL twice this year.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I don't look at Dempster as an absolute necessity. Aren't playoffs usually 4 man rotations anyway?

Gio-ZNN-EJax is extremely solid for your top 3 and then if you need a 4th guy Detwiler isn't bad.

Offline hammondsnats

I don't look at Dempster as an absolute necessity. Aren't playoffs usually 4 man rotations anyway?

Gio-ZNN-EJax is extremely solid for your top 3 and then if you need a 4th guy Detwiler isn't bad.

i'd rather have dempster pitching in the playoffs than detwiler.  it's a completely different animal.  and JZ/Gio have never pitched in postseason.

Offline HalfSmokes

i'd rather have dempster pitching in the playoffs than detwiler.  it's a completely different animal.  and JZ/Gio have never pitched in postseason.

Dempster's post season record: 5.2 IP, 4 h, 7 bb, 4 runs, 6.35 era- not sure that 'experience' is too helpful

Offline houston-nat

100% agreement. I've said over and over and over that if we traded for a 5th starter, he'd only be appearing in 4-5 September games unless he was a significant improvement over Detwiler.

Offline HalfSmokes

unless he was a significant improvement over Detwiler.

He has a 3.15 era right now- I don't think you're getting a significant improvement over that

Offline DPMOmaha

I only have one question about Dempster.  Can he hit?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Dempster has already been on the DL twice this year.

Be fair - once he was on the HRod "DL".

Offline hammondsnats

Dempster's post season record: 5.2 IP, 4 h, 7 bb, 4 runs, 6.35 era- not sure that 'experience' is too helpful

yeah but he's still been there and has had success in his MLB career.  2 game is such a small sample size, c'mon now.

detwiler has never had a full season of MLB success.

Offline hammondsnats

100% agreement. I've said over and over and over that if we traded for a 5th starter, he'd only be appearing in 4-5 September games unless he was a significant improvement over Detwiler.

you do realize we may be shutting down strasburg?  so that means we'll have guys pitching out of slots.