Author Topic: Tentative deal reached ending NBA Lockout...  (Read 2189 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

Re: Tentative deal reached ending NBA Lockout...
« Reply #25: November 26, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
Stephen A. Smith, who was in Washington for some reason (the Capitol was in the background) was on ESPN, practically "creaming his jeans"  talking about the Heat and the Lakers and the Mavericks in the upcoming season.  He couldn't bring himself to talk about the Wizards.  I guess mentioning the Wizards is a wood killer.   :?

Just like I said during the NFL lockout, if you're a winning team playing the season is a good thing.  If you're the Packers or Mavericks or Heat or Patriots or Steelers or Lakers, having a season is a desirable outcome.  Or if you're a fan of one of those teams.

If you're a Wizards fan or Redskins fan, for example, your team might be better served by sitting out a season (or two).  :|

Stephen A. Smith is without a doubt the most annoying personality on ESPN. I can't get to my remote fast enough to turn the channel when he comes on. The NBA coming back means more Stephen A. Smith on ESPN. Lucky me!  :)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: November 26, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
Why does anyone watch ESPN anymore anyway unless there's a game on?  The sport/conference specific networks are so much better than the WWL that there's rarely any reason to watch it anymore.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #27: November 26, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
Why does anyone watch ESPN anymore anyway unless there's a game on?  The sport/conference specific networks are so much better than the WWL that there's rarely any reason to watch it anymore.

i time my trips to the kitchenette at work at about 10 or 5 minutes to the hour just to try to catch the top ten plays. that is really the only reason to watch espn

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: November 26, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »

Shifty cable tier- no nfl or mlb networks

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: November 26, 2011, 09:52:17 PM »

That's unfortunate.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #30: November 26, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »

I watch ESPN when there are college football or college basketball games on that I want to watch, but I do tune into ESPNews for the headlines and NFL analysis. I don't really watch Sportscenter anymore. It's terrible, especially with the NBA back. Sportscenter is generally 90% NBA, and 10% everything else. I also love how they put dunks in the Top 10 plays. Dunks stopped being interesting in the late 80s.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #31: November 26, 2011, 10:05:37 PM »

For $6/month Concast will turn those on for me.  Probably time to get off the ol' wallet...

Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless were filling in for Mike and Mike this past week.  I'd rather have a F-350 driven straight up my azz than ever listen or watch those two clowns.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: November 26, 2011, 10:22:15 PM »
Fios makes you jump a tier, and it's really not worth it sincce I prefer.local radio for.my sports

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #33: November 27, 2011, 03:46:11 AM »
The new deal includes an amnesty clause, which will allow teams to cut one player with no impact on the cap. Bye bye Rashard Lewis.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: November 27, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
So the union just lost at least 30 player votes for passing this thing

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #35: November 27, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
It seems like the NBA agreement was written to make the big stars and the owners happy and the NBA middle class gets squeezed.  There will probably be a lot of guys that would have been middle class under the old agreement that will now make much less, possibly even the minimum.  The big stars still get to hold their teams hostage a la Lebron and Carmelo Anthony.

The MLB agreement is different - the middle class players should make out pretty well.  Minimum salary guys will do better as well - higher minimum wage, more 40 man roster spots available due to the changes to the draft.  It does sell out amateur players, though.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #36: November 27, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »
BTW, Wizards is probably the worst team name in professional sports. Why couldn't they have picked something that actually has something to do with the City?

Yeah, like the Dragons, Sea Dogs, Express, or Stallions.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #37: November 27, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »

So much this.

BTW, can't wait to see those new Wizards jerseys.  :az:

Also, I'm not huuuuge on the NBA but going to Wizards games is so much fun.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #38: November 27, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »

I would watch the NFL network if it wasn't for the fact that the people on there are as bad as ESPN. I like the MLB and NHL Networks though.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #39: November 27, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
I would watch the NFL network if it wasn't for the fact that the people on there are as bad as ESPN. I like the MLB and NHL Networks though.

I like some of the concept shows on NFL Network better... but as far as network personalities go... I love MLB Network.

Can't beat MLB Tonight. That's the first thing I flip on after a Nats game.

Offline PC

« Reply #40: November 28, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
The new deal includes an amnesty clause, which will allow teams to cut one player with no impact on the cap. Bye bye Rashard Lewis.

From the Post:

The NBA also plans to implement an “amnesty” provision that allows teams to waive one player currently under contract prior to any season of the agreement and have that salary removed from the cap. Though Lewis is owed nearly $46 million over the next two seasons — with $32 million guaranteed — but the Wizards are not expected to use the clause this season.

I have no idea why this is the case.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #41: November 28, 2011, 08:19:26 AM »
Unreal. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: November 28, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »
yeah me too. i was hoping for thousands of arena workers across the country to lose out on 80+ days worth of pay. not to mention people who work for tv/radio broadcasts, bar/restaurant workers, etc

It's not like none of the money will be spent elsewhere.  It will be diffuse but people won't hoard their cash they'd otherwise intended to spend on NBA related activities.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #43: November 28, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
It's not like none of the money will be spent elsewhere.  It will be diffuse but people won't hoard their cash they'd otherwise intended to spend on NBA related activities.

Some of us will be spending it on whores and cocaine instead of Paul Pierce jerseys and Celtics playoff tickets...

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #44: December 03, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
They won't waive Lewis because his salary becomes an expiring one after this year = which makes it very valuable! And as for the NBA being boring, child please. As much as I love my Nats I wouldn't even hesitate to flip the channel if the Wizards are playing. NFL > NBA > MLB > NHL > Women tennis :az: > Dancing with the stars :? > watching paint dry > .......... > NASCAR

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #45: December 03, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
nba haters, just don't watch it.  some feel the same way about hockey.  (FTR, i like both sports)

i'm excited for the season.  can't wait to see how LeChoke chokes in a shorter season.  hopefully the wizards can improve. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #46: December 03, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
No. I insist on denying others pleasure. That's why my relationships don't work.  :lol:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #47: December 08, 2011, 09:11:27 PM »
It's official. Even post-lockout, the NBA is broken. This Chris Paul thing proved it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: December 08, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
and the rumor now is bynum to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

I hate the NBA.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #49: December 08, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »
Now the news is that the owners are livid about the NBA owned Hornets trading Paul and they're pushing the commissioner to cancel the deal.