Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 87244 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #200: February 28, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »
The Post article today raves about both his bat and his hands defensively.  Apparently the plan is to have him play exclusively 3B this year at either Potomac or Harrisburg, even though he will get reps at 2d and SS this spring.  He says he is comfortable at 2d and played SS in high school (like a lot of guys, I suppose).

One question I'd like others views on is whether they should force feed him SS.  Can he handle it?  Will his body get too bulky for the position?   It is the most important defensive position besides catcher, but with strong 3d and second basemen around him, I wonder if we could get by if the bat is as good as they say it is.

I had heard the knock on his bat was power, but Porter raves about him and his ability to square up and generate backspin.  If he does bulk up a bit, then that would push him to 2d, I suppose. 

RD may have hit on the easiest way to get him to the majors.  I just would love to get the bat at a premium defensive position if we could and save the corner outfield position or first for a bopper with a lesser glove.

Since the link may disappear in few months, here are a few excerpts:
Zimmerman’s deal, for now, will not alter the Nationals’ plan for Rendon. He will alternate between third base, shortstop and second base during spring training. When he begins his minor league season — likely at Class A Potomac, perhaps Class AA Harrisburg — he will play third base, period.

Rendon feels comfortable at both second base, where he played last year at Rice upon returning from a shoulder injury, and shortstop, where he played through high school. The Nationals are confident his slick fielding will translate anywhere in the infield.

“Watch his hands,” said Bill Singer, the team’s director of pro scouting, while watching Rendon field grounders at shortstop. “He makes it look like he never gets a bad hop, because his hands are so soft and quick.”

. . .
The Nationals will find a place for Rendon because of his bat. Nationals scouting director Kris Kline called him “the best hitter in the draft” last year. When asked about Rendon’s swing, third base coach Bo Porter smiled, shook his head and said, “Ooooh!”

Last week, Porter threw batting practice to Rendon, and after Rendon sprayed line drives, Porter approached him. “I had your swing before the accident,” Porter said.

“What accident?” Rendon asked.

“I was born,” Porter said.

there is more, but the post blocks longer excerpts.