Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79805 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #300: May 26, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
I've been into vodka lately (the wife has been buying organic juices lately and I find vodka works well for juice mixers).  I've tried Iceberg (I think that's the name) which is a Canadian vodka, Three Olives vodka (imported from France, IIRC) and recently Grey Goose (expensive).  All three were really smooth and I really couldn't tell the difference between the Three Olives and the Grey Goose (though, admittedly, I didn't drink either straight up or on the rocks).

« Reply #301: May 26, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
Gin is the nastiest tasting liquor I have ever had.

i'd rather drink Beer. and I am not at all fond of Beer.

Three weeks ago I would have agreed with you. I hate that cheap, pine needle taste most brands give you, but I almost exclusively go with Tanqueray. It has a crisp, clean pine needle taste. ;)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #302: May 26, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
So what's wrong with beer ?

Gin is the nastiest tasting liquor I have ever had.

i'd rather drink Beer. and I am not at all fond of Beer.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #303: May 26, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »
I've been into vodka lately (the wife has been buying organic juices lately and I find vodka works well for juice mixers).  I've tried Iceberg (I think that's the name) which is a Canadian vodka, Three Olives vodka (imported from France, IIRC) and recently Grey Goose (expensive).  All three were really smooth and I really couldn't tell the difference between the Three Olives and the Grey Goose (though, admittedly, I didn't drink either straight up or on the rocks).

My basic philosophy is - if you can't taste the difference, go with the cheapest.....works for a lot of things in life....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #304: May 26, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
My basic philosophy is - if you can't taste the difference, go with the cheapest.....works for a lot of things in life....

With liquor that can be a tough call at times.  As a whiskey drinker, typicaly, I have found that if I have two Maker's Marks (on the rocks) I' can get a slight buzz on and feel fine in the morning.  If I drink two Wild Turkeys on the rocks, I can get that same buzz but have a monster hangover.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #305: May 26, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
With liquor that can be a tough call at times.  As a whiskey drinker, typicaly, I have found that if I have two Maker's Marks (on the rocks) I' can get a slight buzz on and feel fine in the morning.  If I drink two Wild Turkeys on the rocks, I can get that same buzz but have a monster hangover.

I love four roses bourbon, but it will leave you a reminder in the morning. Quality and lack of hangover aren't necessarily related. You can filter the hell out of a scotch and take down the hangover factor, but I'd rather sip a laphroaig any day. I guess quality = no hangover works for vodka, but I object to paying more for a drink based on how little taste it has.

Offline Galah

« Reply #306: May 26, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
With liquor that can be a tough call at times.  As a whiskey drinker, typicaly, I have found that if I have two Maker's Marks (on the rocks) I' can get a slight buzz on and feel fine in the morning.  If I drink two Wild Turkeys on the rocks, I can get that same buzz but have a monster hangover.

Philosophy still holds, obviously you can tell the difference, therefore Maker's Mark is the cheapest, unless you enjoy a monster hangover

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #307: May 26, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
Tullamore dew is swamp water. Get a single malt. Islay whiskeys taste like a campfire, Highland Park is sweeter and smooth.
I liked Tullamore Dew the time I had it :lol:

I don't like any scotch that I have had though.  I don't like the smokey flavor.  I do enjoy the Irish Whiskeys though.  Just room temp, in a nice glass.  I don't like shots either.  If I'm going to drink it, it has to be good enough to sip, not something that I have to pound really fast.

I like gin too, I enjoy the christmas tree in a glass flavor :lol:

Offline Galah

« Reply #308: May 26, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
I liked Tullamore Dew the time I had it :lol:

I don't like any scotch that I have had though.  I don't like the smokey flavor.  I do enjoy the Irish Whiskeys though.  Just room temp, in a nice glass.  I don't like shots either.  If I'm going to drink it, it has to be good enough to sip, not something that I have to pound really fast.

I like gin too, I enjoy the christmas tree in a glass flavor :lol:

Irish whiskey made me the man I am today.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #309: May 27, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »
Shane MacGowan, too!

Irish whiskey made me the man I am today.

Offline blue911

Offline saltydad

« Reply #311: May 28, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Ah, we're getting lyrical here with The Pogues reference.  :)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #312: October 09, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »
On my now-completed trip to Estonia I enjoyed their top vodka, Viru Valge - the smoothest vodka I have ever tasted (and almost completely hangover-free).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #313: October 09, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

check out the article on Russia House in the Sunday Post Magazine, they talk about the 150 vodkas they have available, and they mock those who come into the place and order ketel-1.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #314: October 09, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »
check out the article on Russia House in the Sunday Post Magazine, they talk about the 150 vodkas they have available, and they mock those who come into the place and order ketel-1.
Do they at least have Popov or Rikaloff?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #315: October 09, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
Do they at least have Popov or Rikaloff?

:spaz:

Offline imref

Offline Nathan

« Reply #317: October 09, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
:spaz:
I remember the first time I had it.  Underage, of course, at a friend's house, and gave the designated buyer $30 and asked for a bottle of vodka.  I wasn't expecting something high end, just a fifth of Absolute or other midrange brand.  Instead he comes back with 2 1.75L bottles of Popov.

It is the fastest liquor I ever had.  Over the course of like 30 minutes I went from sober to drunk and giddy to hungover.  Never again.  I left it at my friends house.  It was still there months later, I was talking to him on the phone one day and he was gagging, I was like "WTF are you doing?"  "Drinking that Popov.  Oh.  God.  God it's awful!"  I said "Why the hell are you drinking it, just pour it down the drain."  He said "That's what I was trying to do, but I somehow ended up drinking it instead."  :smh:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #318: October 09, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »
I remember the first time I had it.  Underage, of course, at a friend's house, and gave the designated buyer $30 and asked for a bottle of vodka.  I wasn't expecting something high end, just a fifth of Absolute or other midrange brand.  Instead he comes back with 2 1.75L bottles of Popov.

It is the fastest liquor I ever had.  Over the course of like 30 minutes I went from sober to drunk and giddy to hungover.  Never again.  I left it at my friends house.  It was still there months later, I was talking to him on the phone one day and he was gagging, I was like "WTF are you doing?"  "Drinking that Popov.  Oh.  God.  God it's awful!"  I said "Why the hell are you drinking it, just pour it down the drain."  He said "That's what I was trying to do, but I somehow ended up drinking it instead."  :smh:

:lol: I, too, started with it underage. Ever since, whenever I hear those two, I think of one of my friends who lives by the crap. It's pretty disturbing.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #319: October 10, 2010, 02:00:22 AM »
Russia House is pretty close, maybe a 10 minute walk from my place.  I gather that Federov, Ovechkin, and Semin used to hang there a lot.  A guy I met at a Caps game who worked at the store across the intersection said that Semin stopped in for cigarettes on a regular basis, but he was also a Rangers fan, so I have no faith in his accusations. 

Directly across the street is that palace of wonders, "The Royal Palace", so if one is so inclined after sipping fine vodkas, they can take in some pole-spinning tramps before heading home. 

Anyways, Russia House apparently has a vodka & caviar sampler, lots of brands that aren't available anywhere else. 

Offline imref

« Reply #320: October 11, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »
There's also a Russia House in Herndon and the Serbian Crown in Great Falls that are very good.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #321: October 12, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
the Serbian Crown in Great Falls

Oh, flavored vodkas.....

:money: :glug: :money: :glug: :money: :glug: :money: :glug:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #322: December 04, 2010, 02:17:02 AM »
aaaaand I am back behind the Bar.

yay! haven't worked as a Bartender for like a year or so.  Happy to be doing it again.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #323: December 04, 2010, 02:28:35 AM »
Had my first Mason/Dixon last week at Bar Louie.  Loved it.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #324: December 04, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
Had my first Mason/Dixon last week at Bar Louie.  Loved it.

Bar Louie is cool. I had a glass last time I was ther, I forgot what it was called, but damn it was good. i am mad that i can't remember the name of the drink, cause I'd like to try making it.