Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88253 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Dempster's 2012 is not in line with his career norms. Isn't he likely to regress in the second half?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Dempster's 2012 is not in line with his career norms. Isn't he likely to regress in the second half?

Probably. But even at career norms, he's a decent number 3 starter.

Offline Hondo

I just don't see us going with the pure rental.  I have a feeling Rizzo is going to try and hit a home run.  Trade for Greinke and sign him long term.  Shock and awe going into the playoffs boys.  Strasburg "pulls a hammy" and all of a sudden he's pitching in the playoffs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I just don't see us going with the pure rental.  I have a feeling Rizzo is going to try and hit a home run.  Trade for Greinke and sign him long term.  Shock and awe going into the playoffs boys.  Strasburg "pulls a hammy" and all of a sudden he's pitching in the playoffs.

I'm terrified to sit Strasburg down and then start him back up again.

I think if they plan on keeping him pitching into the playoffs, they should throw him 5 innings the next start, 4 after that, 3 after that, 3 after that, 4 after that, 5 after that, 4 after that... etc. etc.

That way, he stays on his throwing program... but you're effectively cutting innings and saving them for the post season.

Offline HalfSmokes

I can't see a sign and trade working- guys that are a couple of months from free agency are going to want to choose where they go

Offline Slateman

I can't see a sign and trade working- guys that are a couple of months from free agency are going to want to choose where they go

Nor I. Hamels and Grienke are on the verge of getting paid.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Can you even do a sign-and-trade in MLB? 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

You can ask the team you're trading with to give you a few days window to see if you can work something out ahead of time... but no, there's no sign and trade like the NBA has.

Offline Slateman

I think you can work out a trade where the trade is contingent on a player signing a contract. But the contract has to be done before the trade is completed.

Offline Hondo

Possibly, but Greinke is a diffrent bird and I'm not suggesting he won't get paid.

Offline HalfSmokes

Possibly, but Greinke is a diffrent bird and I'm not suggesting he won't get paid.

for the first time (and possibly only) time in his entire career, he gets to choose where he plays- why would he forgo that?

Offline GSW

My son was telling me about a book he was reading, about baseball and money.

One section talks about how making it to the playoffs = about $40,000,000 extra a year for 4 years.
(That's for a team that is moving up.....Hats,food,tickets,TV)

So why does it look like Rizzo/Lerner don't  want to make a run at it this year
(shut down of the BURG and not looking for better BATS?)

Offline hammondsnats

Really hope they pick up Ramon Hernandez in the next few days. Flores is getting close to not even hitting his weight.

absolutely.  we need ramon!

RAMON!  RAMON!  RAMON!

Offline houston-nat

So why does it look like Rizzo/Lerner don't  want to make a run at it this year
(shut down of the BURG and not looking for better BATS?)

We're in a pretty comfortable position regarding making the playoffs. The team's success is real, not based on luck like 2005, and our record is good. According to the computer simulation here, we have an 82% chance of making the playoffs. Yes, we can make some trades and do other things to improve those odds, and I think we will. But major changes are not necessary, and we have people to step in for Strasburg.

Offline Hondo

Just like the last time we tried to trade for him, we won't do the deal unles he wants to sign here.  In that case he is choosing where he wants to go.  He's just simply doing it before he's a free agent.

for the first time (and possibly only) time in his entire career, he gets to choose where he plays- why would he forgo that?

Offline Slateman

Just like the last time we tried to trade for him, we won't do the deal unles he wants to sign here.  In that case he is choosing where he wants to go.  He's just simply doing it before he's a free agent.

Which, seeing as how he's never really been here, how can we know that he wants to be here?

Pass on Grienke. The talent is there and, if the Brewers just sell to get something from him, thats fine. But between his depression/social anxiety issues and his looming free agency, I'd rather spend the prospects it's going to take to get him here.

Offline Slateman

Supposedly the Marlins are trying to trade HanRam.

Can Desmond play 2B? Defensively it would be an abortion, but Hanley Ramirez is capable of crushing the ball. Even as he's hitting now, he's better than Espinosa

Offline HalfSmokes

I feel bad for marlin fans (the few that there are)- they go into a new stadium with an owner opening up the wallet- the signing backfire, the team sucks and now there's another's fire sale

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Supposedly the Marlins are trying to trade HanRam.

Can Desmond play 2B? Defensively it would be an abortion, but Hanley Ramirez is capable of crushing the ball. Even as he's hitting now, he's better than Espinosa

Where did you see the Fish are trying to get rid of Hanley?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I feel bad for marlin fans (the few that there are)- they go into a new stadium with an owner opening up the wallet- the signing backfire, the team sucks and now there's another's fire sale

It's really turned out to be a complete disaster.  No one is showing up, the team sucks, the stadium resembles a cave, and all of the guys they needed to deliver have either been injured or ineffective.  Ouch.

Offline Slateman

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter

Offline Slateman

Yea, I posted the twitter in the Non-Nats trade talk.

Still think we should be offering whatever we can for Stanton.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Why in the world would the Redsox want Hanley and Heath Bell?

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Sources:There is no current discussion involving Crawford and Hanley Ramirez/Heath Bell. Was brought up briefly as concept,immediately died.