Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 54534 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #625: November 29, 2009, 10:52:06 AM »
www.pidgin.im

Why in the world would you keep using a resource-hogging, virus prone  program like AIM?

While I use Pidgin myself, I don't think this is the kind of advice he was looking for.

Unfortunately since I haven't used aim in years, I don't know what to suggest UMD.  I don't think I've ever seen that particular error before from any program.  If you can't find anything on Google that works, you could try downloading an older version of AIM from oldversion.com instead.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #626: November 29, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
www.pidgin.im

Why in the world would you keep using a resource-hogging, virus prone  program like AIM?

I don't care about other programs, the reason I want to use AIM is that nearly all the execs at WMUC have it and it'd make my life a little easier when it comes to getting in touch with them.

And thanks Chief, I'll just try an older version.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #627: November 29, 2009, 11:03:35 AM »
I don't care about other programs, the reason I want to use AIM is that nearly all the execs at WMUC have it and it'd make my life a little easier when it comes to getting in touch with them.

And thanks Chief, I'll just try an older version.

Pidgin is an AIM client. A damn good one. It also lets you use GChat, Yahoo, IRC, etc., but it works great just for AIM.

I just really dislike the actual AIM program because it uses a ton of resources just to send text back and forth.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #628: November 29, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »
Pidgin is an AIM client. A damn good one. It also lets you use GChat, Yahoo, IRC, etc., but it works great just for AIM.

I just really dislike the actual AIM program because it uses a ton of resources just to send text back and forth.

Ah, ok...Thanks. I'll see if that works.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #629: November 29, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »
PA - Pidgin seems to work ok...I've added a couple of my friends so hopefully this will make my life a little easier. Thanks!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #630: November 29, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
PA - Pidgin seems to work ok...I've added a couple of my friends so hopefully this will make my life a little easier. Thanks!

See, I'm helpful!

The official client is just so bloated, I switched long ago. Glad to help. AIM open-sourced their protocol a long time ago.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #631: November 29, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
See, I'm helpful!

The official client is just so bloated, I switched long ago. Glad to help. AIM open-sourced their protocol a long time ago.

I only really need it to quickly contact a handful of people, so the more basic, the better. I don't understand why AIM didn't work, but whatever.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #632: November 29, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »
See, I'm helpful!

I never meant to imply that it wasn't a good idea, I just try to shy away from giving the answer "use something else" in my line of work, and it spills over into my personal habits.  Pidgin is great, but it does have some limitations (such as no video chat support in the Windows version - yet) and I wasn't really sure what UMD needed to do.

A lot of people prefer AIM because of the pretty themes and colors.  No comment :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #633: November 29, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
I never meant to imply that it wasn't a good idea, I just try to shy away from giving the answer "use something else" in my line of work, and it spills over into my personal habits.  Pidgin is great, but it does have some limitations (such as no video chat support in the Windows version - yet) and I wasn't really sure what UMD needed to do.

A lot of people prefer AIM because of the pretty themes and colors.  No comment :lol:

Ha, yea, I was hoping to use AIM because the interface is nice and everything, but pidgin seems to be just fine.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #634: December 03, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »
FCC opening up formal consideration of dropping switched network POTS for IP Phone service.  FCC NBP Public Notice # 25

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #635: December 03, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
Per CNBC commentary, FCC looking to open up now unused TV bands to broadband WiFi.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #636: December 03, 2009, 09:53:56 AM »
Per CNBC commentary, FCC looking to open up now unused TV bands to broadband WiFi.

As in WiMax? Sprint may rise from the ashes, which is great as they carry Virgin Mobile 3G, Boost, and the Kindle.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #637: December 03, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »
I'm biting my tongue, I'm biting my tongue.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #638: December 03, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
Google has it's fingers in the pot somewhere, I know.

Also, I know Verizon lovers bash the crap out of Sprint, but for bargain access with no contracts, there is no other way.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #639: December 03, 2009, 10:38:33 AM »
Sure there is.  I'm an extra line on my parents' family plan, using a $30 prepaid phone from BB on a month-to-month agreement that costs me 10 bucks for unlimited nights, weekends, and texting.  I don't talk enough to worry about daytime minutes.  Best of both worlds.  If I smash the thing, who cares, it cost 30 bucks.

That said, that's not what I was biting my tongue about.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #640: December 03, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
Sure there is.  I'm an extra line on my parents' family plan, using a $30 prepaid phone from BB on a month-to-month agreement that costs me 10 bucks for unlimited nights, weekends, and texting.  I don't talk enough to worry about daytime minutes.  Best of both worlds.  If I smash the thing, who cares, it cost 30 bucks.

That said, that's not what I was biting my tongue about.

I only have a cell, no land line, and I travel. 1 minute phone calls to the wife's office add up so fast, as does holding on customer service :bang:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #641: December 03, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »
I only have a cell, no land line, and I travel. 1 minute phone calls to the wife's office add up so fast, as does holding on customer service :bang:

No land line here either, whatever that has to do with it, and free unlimited verizon to verizon all the time, so if my gf were a yakker, that wouldn't be a problem as she's on verizon too.  You do what works for you, I was just pointing out alternatives to pay-as-you-go plans for people looking at cheap cell options.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #642: December 03, 2009, 11:51:54 AM »
Just remember, at least its not AT&T. I have them for my iphone, but will drop them the second Verizon (or anyone else) gets rights to sell it. I actually wouldn't be surprised is AT&T's subsriber base falls off a cliff once the loose the apple monopoly,

Offline The Chief

« Reply #643: December 03, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »
I don't know what reputation AT&T has other than the iPhone and rollover minutes.  Everybody knows Verizon and Sprints(eses?) reputations (or stereotypes if you prefer) but what does AT&T bring to the table besides a gimmick which is becoming less and less relevant with the steadily falling price of minutes?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #644: December 03, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
I don't know what reputation AT&T has other than the iPhone and rollover minutes.  Everybody knows Verizon and Sprints(eses?) reputations (or stereotypes if you prefer) but what does AT&T bring to the table besides a gimmick which is becoming less and less relevant with the steadily falling price of minutes?

Well, if you ever want to have a reason for not being able to take a particular call, AT&T gives it to you.  I especially like their "You have a voice message, but we're not going to let you listen to it" feature.  It is a nice compliment to their "Oh, this message came in several hours ago, but we had better things to do than, you know, actually sending it to you" feature. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #645: December 03, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »
^^^ Heh.  In fairness, I've had that experience with Tmobile, Sprint, and Verizon too.  My favorite is the call going straight to voicemail even though the phone was on and had a full signal.  I've always just assumed it has something to do with traffic or crossing different networks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #646: December 03, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
Well, if you ever want to have a reason for not being able to take a particular call, AT&T gives it to you.  I especially like their "You have a voice message, but we're not going to let you listen to it" feature.  It is a nice compliment to their "Oh, this message came in several hours ago, but we had better things to do than, you know, actually sending it to you" feature. 

I personally am a fan of the you have full bars, but no service, or the infamous deadzone on the K street bridge over rockcreek park

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #647: December 03, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »
Unfortunately as an AT&T customer due to my iPhone I love when I breifly enter an area of no service (aka the cellar of my server room at work) and once I leave that area my phone will continue to show no service and not receive any calls/texts/etc until I either turn on airplane mode or turn my phone off and then on again....I can't wait until Verizon picks up the iPhone I will be switching over immediatley.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #648: December 03, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
Not to mention AT&T's network capabilities/coverage is so far behind everyone else that it limits some iphone capabilities...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #649: December 03, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »
My hate for AT&T burns with the fire of a thousand suns.