Author Topic: NFL and ESPN making excuses for Andy Reid  (Read 1583 times)

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
NFL and ESPN making excuses for Andy Reid
« Topic Start: November 04, 2007, 01:08:08 PM »
They basically threw out the whole "What goes on in your house is your responsibility" quote they constantly vilified Vick with and made up some bullshyt excuse to let him slide.

Shyt is discusting.

NFL was like "Oh Reid was not charged with anything so we won't take any action" ...but Before Vick was even charged or pled guilty the Same NFL forced Vick to stay away from camp and pulled his jersey out of stores and you got Dika making excuses "oh hes busy year round coaching, scouting and drafting player he don't know happens in his house" ...smh Props to Parcells for speaking the truth.

Before any charges were ever brought to Vick, Goodell told him to stay away from training camp because Vick has to be responsible and held accountable for what goes on in his house. Why doesn't the commish speak out about this? Why remain quiet for this bullsh*t?

Offline saltydad

Re: NFL and ESPN making excuses for Andy Reid
« Reply #1: November 04, 2007, 01:19:28 PM »
The difference appears to be that Vick was personally involved (not just "in his house". Reid as a father is of course responsible for his teenage sons, but as any father can tell you, that doesn't extend to being able to control them at any givven time. The best a parent can do is to raise them with your ethical/moral guidelines and expectations, enforcing same, and then as they get older hope and pray you did a good job, while maintaining as much vigilance as possible. So we come down to "doing the crime" vs. Responsible as a parent for the kids who "did the crime". Quite a difference. I hope this isn't an attempt to somehow equate Vick and Reid; Vick's behavior stands at the bottom all by itself.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #2: November 04, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
NAh, vick was involved in his bad busines. but even befoer charge were made, Goodeell said he's responsible for what happens in his house. basically sayin regardless of what happens you should have better controll over what happens insdie your hosue. why isn't he doin that Reid?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: November 04, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
NAh, vick was involved in his bad busines. but even befoer charge were made, Goodeell said he's responsible for what happens in his house. basically sayin regardless of what happens you should have better controll over what happens insdie your hosue. why isn't he doin that Reid?

you point seems valid.  i dont know the particulars of the reid case.  were his kids selling drugs or just doing them? if selling, I think this parallels the vick case. if they were just doing drugs, i dont think it is apples to apples

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: November 04, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
you point seems valid.  i dont know the particulars of the reid case.  were his kids selling drugs or just doing them? if selling, I think this parallels the vick case. if they were just doing drugs, i dont think it is apples to apples

They were selling drugs, sounds like they had stashes all over the house.  It was reported Reid was making efforts to get them straightened out - he had taken a leave of absence and they'd had counseling, etc., but the point is well taken that didn't he know what was going on in his own house? 

I presume the boys were well armed, maybe he was afraid of them. 

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: November 04, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »
NFL: Reid's sons ordered to jail
Combined News Services
Article Last Updated: 11/02/2007 01:51:29 AM MDT

A judge who sentenced Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's sons to jail on Thursday likened the coach's home to ''a drug emporium'' and questioned whether his adult sons should live there, given their drug problems.

''There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon,'' Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill said before sentencing Reid's son Britt to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

''I'm saying this is a family in crisis,'' O'Neill said.

Earlier Thursday, O'Neill sentenced Garrett Reid, a drug addict and dealer who said he got a thrill out of selling drugs in ''the 'hood,'' to up to 23 months in jail for smashing into another motorist's car while high on heroin.

O'Neill said that searches of the Reid family's house and vehicles found a long list of drugs, guns and ammunition.

''It sounds more or less like a drug emporium there with the drugs all over the house, and you're an addict,'' O'Neill told Britt Reid.

Police found a shotgun and hollow-point bullets along with cocaine, marijuana and OxyContin, a painkiller, in the vehicle Britt Reid was driving during a Jan. 30 road-rage encounter, and later found a handgun at the house.
Salt Lake Tribune

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #6: November 04, 2007, 02:34:27 PM »
ANdf jsut to get shyt clear, i don't blame Reid for any of this. Thats not tha issue. Tha issue i ahve is with Goodell. He got on Vick, with tha whole "what goes on in your house is your responsibilty" bit, and came down hard on Vick before we knew what was really up. He should do tha same to Vick. Even Philly players basically insinuated that its a double standard cuz if it was them that it happen to, they would probably be already suspended.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #7: November 04, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »
Reid as a father is of course responsible for his teenage sons, but as any father can tell you, that doesn't extend to being able to control them at any givven time.

Reid has a couple of teenage sons but the ones in trouble are 23 and 24 respectively.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #8: November 04, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
This is such a bad comparison. Vick was RUNNING a dog fighting ring out of his house and was thought to be running it. Reid is NOT running a drug cartel and no one is saying that he is. Very different. It's true, if these MEN were teenagers, it'd be A LOT different. But they're not, so this shouldn't effect Reid's position as a coach at all.

BTW, Vick's case involved murder. Reid's sons' cases don't.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #9: November 04, 2007, 03:25:30 PM »
Who died in Vick's case???

And re-read my last post

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10: November 04, 2007, 04:35:59 PM »
This is such a bad comparison. Vick was RUNNING a dog fighting ring out of his house and was thought to be running it. Reid is NOT running a drug cartel and no one is saying that he is. Very different. It's true, if these MEN were teenagers, it'd be A LOT different. But they're not, so this shouldn't effect Reid's position as a coach at all.

We know that now, but it is the presumption of guilt before all the facts were known that seems incongruous.

Why is Vick assumed to be running a dog fighting ring?

Why is Reid assumed to not be a drug king?

Both seem equally outlandish in the presence of no facts.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: November 04, 2007, 05:20:52 PM »
We know that now, but it is the presumption of guilt before all the facts were known that seems incongruous.

Why is Vick assumed to be running a dog fighting ring?

Why is Reid assumed to not be a drug king?

Both seem equally outlandish in the presence of no facts.

yes, I understand the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, but there are no charges pending on Reid as there already were against Vick.

Who died in Vick's case???

And re-read my last post

umm..a countless number of dogs. that counts, right?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: November 04, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »
yes, I understand the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, but there are no charges pending on Reid as there already were against Vick.

umm..a countless number of dogs. that counts, right?

I dont remember the whole vick proceedings but if charges were brought before the suspension then that does change things. Or did Vick get suspended just after his house got raided and before charges were brought

MrMadison

« Reply #13: November 05, 2007, 11:22:01 AM »
*grabs popcorn*

so Andy Reid's kids get a pass eh?  I guess selling drugs and waving guns in innocent people's faces is ok, as long as you don't hurt any dogs in the process.

I kid, I kid.

even so, Andy Reid himself shouldn't really be an issue here as both of the kids involved are grown-ass men, and should be accountable for their own actions.  but who their daddy is shouldn't get them any type of sympathy from the media, or anyone else.

*eats popcorn and watches*

Offline kimnat

« Reply #14: November 05, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »
Absolutely right!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: November 05, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
*grabs popcorn*

so Andy Reid's kids get a pass eh?  I guess selling drugs and waving guns in innocent people's faces is ok, as long as you don't hurt any dogs in the process.

I hope nobody thinks that.  Those kids had every advantage, and willingly, even gleefully, thumbed their noses at the society they benefitted from and instead became worthless thug punks.  I hope they get hard time, they've earned it.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #16: November 05, 2007, 02:37:15 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry.  I meant that I agreed w/ the part after he was kidding.  And yes, they do deserve the hard time.  Don't know how much good it'll do though.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: November 05, 2007, 03:04:38 PM »
My guess would be that the commish (and others) knew, and know, more than we do about Vick's involvement and about Reid's involvement.

If my kids were dealing drugs and used guns in their trade, more than once, I'd not let them live in my house.

Maybe there's some racism here. I don't think so, but maybe.

MrMadison

« Reply #18: November 05, 2007, 04:09:33 PM »
my question is this...

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20071105_Olbermann__NFL_should_help_Reids.html

Olbermann: NFL should help Reids

Daily News Staff Report
During last night's pregame show, NBC's Keith Olbermann urged NFL commissioner Roger Goodell or Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to take action to help Andy Reid and his family.

Olbermann described the plight of the Reid family as a "nightmarish skid."

Garrett Reid, 24, and Britt Reid, 22, were sentenced on Thursday to up to 23 months in jail for various offenses. Garrett Reid is expected to face additional charges for allegedly smuggling pills into the Montgomery County prison.

Reid and his wife Tammy were strongly rebuked by Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill during Thursday's sentencing. The Reids also have three younger children.

"Judge another man's home without stepping into that home, without stepping into that man's life, and you might as well wade into a Jacuzzi filled with quicksand," Olbermann said. "But when a man's two grown sons are sentenced to up to 23 months in jail each, and the judge likens that man's home to a 'drug emporium,' the journey seems essential, no matter the risk. If they care about him, if they care about his family - even if they only care about his usefulness to them as a coach, the Philadelphia Eagles or the NFL have to intervene on behalf of Andy Reid.

"Firing him won't work and just ordering him into another leave of absence won't work. What happens, what has happened in the Reids' home, must be clear to someone with the team, or someone with the league. When a judge insists that Andy Reid's eldest kids have been 'overmedicated' most of their lives, and there are still three other kids under the age of 20 in that house, somebody must force an intervention. Because, while Andy Reid is ultimately not the team's responsibility nor is he the league's, to some degree, that family is.

"Not that football put Britt or Garrett Reid in jail, or their parents wherever they are. But because the NFL always speaks with justifiable pride about its symbolic family. Whether they impose it with complete empathy or by the threat of dismissal or suspension, Jeffrey Lurie and the Eagles, or maybe Roger Goodell and the league may be the only individuals with the power to steer the lives of as many as seven people back out of this nightmarish skid. Because this time it's no metaphor: Those seven people literally are NFL family." *

what the f*ck is up with the "Oh my god what a tragedy we need to help them because they are our family and they are going through a rough time oh what a tragedy I'm so sad for them" tone of this bs?

maybe i'm just misinterpreting what I am reading or something.

reid's kids sold drugs and pointed a gun at an innocent bystander.  they deserve no sympathy whatsoever. they are thugs and criminals and should be treated as such. period.

but they ARE getting sympathy from the media(at least from Olbermann)....and that is not right at all.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #19: November 05, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »
I hope nobody thinks that.  Those kids had every advantage, and willingly, even gleefully, thumbed their noses at the society they benefitted from and instead became worthless thug punks.  I hope they get hard time, they've earned it.

QFT

Part of the problem is the current mentality among young impressionable kids that the thug life is glamorous. It's so glorified in every outlet of entertainment that there are literally tons of suburban kids that idolize that sort of lifestyle. What they are too shortsighted too see is the inevitable end result of such a lifestyle and the broken lives it leaves in its wake.

If my kids were dealing drugs and used guns in their trade, more than once, I'd not let them live in my house.

That's probably not as easily done as it is proclaimed.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: November 05, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
my question is this...

what the f*ck is up with the "Oh my god what a tragedy we need to help them because they are our family and they are going through a rough time oh what a tragedy I'm so sad for them" tone of this bs?

reid's kids sold drugs and pointed a gun at an innocent bystander.  they deserve no sympathy whatsoever. they are thugs and criminals and should be treated as such. period.

but they ARE getting sympathy from the media(at least from Olbermann)....and that is not right at all.

You're absolutely right. The Fox group also advocated a similar sentiment but the reality is that this is happening in other families outside the shadow of the NFL and they aren't getting the same sympathy. Some of those others are going in front of judges and getting a gang of time for their crimes. This shouldn't be treated any differently because their father is an NFL head coach.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: November 05, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »

I think you are misreading it a bit.  I think Olberman is more concerned with the 3 remaining kids in the house, and the impact on them of having this going on in their house.  Imagine the outcry if Vick had children living in the house where all the dog fighting was going on, I think people would have been very disturbed and anxious to put those kids in a better environment.  I also think that to some extent Reid is being viewed with sympathy since he's not the perp, his two older sons are.  But based on what the judge said, it sounds as though Reid either was complicit to an extent, or he'd really really lost control of the situation in his own house.

It's a horrible situation, but if you get the thugs into jail, the situation improves immediately, at least until they get out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #22: November 05, 2007, 05:17:32 PM »
At some point you change the locks, hire watchmen, and kick them out. I love my (two) children, but at some point, expressing that by indulging them gets toxic.

I'm not stupid. I know it's not as easy as it sounds. It would tear me to bits, as gentle a soul as I am. But I'd be helping no one by letting it continue.

QFT

Part of the problem is the current mentality among young impressionable kids that the thug life is glamorous. It's so glorified in every outlet of entertainment that there are literally tons of suburban kids that idolize that sort of lifestyle. What they are too shortsighted too see is the inevitable end result of such a lifestyle and the broken lives it leaves in its wake.

That's probably not as easily done as it is proclaimed.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #23: November 05, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »
I haven't paid that much attention to the story but a few facts clarify the situation:

"Garrett Reid, the son of Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid, is heading back to jail after he failed to show up for a court-ordered drug test... Garrett will join his younger brother Britt Reid in the Montgomery County [PA] lock-up.   Britt went to jail on a drunk driving charge, and he's also been convicted in a road rage case in which he pointed a gun at another motorist ...Garrett was a no-show for a scheduled drug test that was required by a judge, so he was arrested. The mandatory drug tests are a result of his guilty plea over the summer to drug charges following a car crash early this year."  Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's eldest son, a drug addict and dealer who said he got a thrill out of selling drugs in "the 'hood," was sentenced Thursday to up to 23 months in jail for smashing into another motorist's car while high on heroin.

On Friday, prosecutors charged 24-year-old Garrett Reid with five additional drug counts related to 89 pills he had smuggled into prison. His cellmate said he saw Reid remove the pills from his rectum and that Reid offered him some of the pills.  On Thursday night, police searched the Reid home to corroborate the cellmate’s story. The coach’s wife, Tammy Reid, provided investigators with prescriptions in Garrett Reid’s name and a search of his room turned up other prescriptions in his brother’s name. They also found two syringes and eight needles in his room, according to prosecutors.  Earlier Thursday, Montgomery County Judge Steven O’Neill called the Reids a “family in crisis” and questioned whether brothers Britt and Garrett Reid should return to their parents’ home after they serve their jail terms.  “There isn’t any structure there that this court can depend upon,” O’Neill said.
The facts are similar to the Paris Hilton case, whereby she simply had to comply with a court order to avoid jail, but landed herself there for openly defying that order.  The one Reid son did the same thing, failing to appear for the drug test.  The Reid family was totally irresponsible for not ensuring that he knew the date, time and place for that test, (especially because of the NFL's mandatory drug testing policy.)  There is no point in these two sons continuing to live in that home, since the court can see that the family did absolutely NOTHING to provide this simple compliance, with full knowledge of the consequences (which was emphasized further by the Paris Hilton story.)

Offline kimnat

« Reply #24: November 05, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »
Perfect summation!