Author Topic: Restaurant scene thread  (Read 6801 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: restaurant scene thread
« Reply #25: May 06, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
Had a corporate dinner at Founding Farmers in Bethesda last week, it was pretty good.  The smoked bacon appetizer was outstanding. 

Really liked Tuscarora Mill in Leesburg, though it's been over a year since I ate there.  Great job of having a local option in every category on the menu - from appetizers through each type of meat, beers, whiskeys, etc.
Have been to Founding Farmers in DC and it's very good also.

If anyone likes Korean try Yechon in Annandale. It's open 24 hours a day.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: May 06, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
Anyone who likes authentic Indian- Dishes of India in Belle View is great (for those of you who don't like the burbs, just pretend it's not in the basement of a strip mall)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: May 06, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Huh. The last time I ate there I thought it had really fallen off. Maybe it was just an bad night.
Had a corporate dinner at Founding Farmers in Bethesda last week, it was pretty good.  The smoked bacon appetizer was outstanding. 

Really liked Tuscarora Mill in Leesburg, though it's been over a year since I ate there.  Great job of having a local option in every category on the menu - from appetizers through each type of meat, beers, whiskeys, etc.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #28: May 06, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »

The folks who own Tuskie's have a burger joint in Purcellville.  They do totally organic beef who's feed is supplemented with the mash from the Catoctin Distillery across the street.  Without a doubt the tastiest ground beef I have ever eaten and well worth a stop if you're out in the area.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #29: May 06, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
Holy crap, that sounds good.
The folks who own Tuskie's have a burger joint in Purcellville.  They do totally organic beef who's feed is supplemented with the mash from the Catoctin Distillery across the street.  Without a doubt the tastiest ground beef I have ever eaten and well worth a stop if you're out in the area.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #30: May 06, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
I think Honey Pig in Annandale is also open 24/7. Or is that the same place?
If anyone likes Korean try Yechon in Annandale. It's open 24 hours a day.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #31: May 06, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
Best place I've been to in a while is Montemarte. Ignored it as I passed by it for over ten years. Very good octopus.

Osteria Morini was very good. At least the duck breast I had there was really good. Never had it before. Didn't realize it was like a steak, but better. Very tender

Boundary road has stayed consistently good too.

I think I missed the boat on Rose's. Heard it was pretty good when it first opened. Suggested it a bunch of times. My wife who doesn't pay attention to me thought I was talking about something else and kept nixing it

We walked out of boundary road once because of no veggie options. Not sure I gave the same tastes as Obama anyway because Rasika West End was pretty bad.

Only had brunch at Montmartre which was fine, but Le Diplomate was outstanding and Bistro Cacao is my go to French place.

Morino is my favorite restaurant in dc. Period. Even boswell went nuts for it. It is near perfection.

Roses is an experience but I wont be back for a while. Forty five mins in line for a table at 9. We had a crap ton of margaritas at sol while we waited.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #32: May 06, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
Looks like Friday night is a Murrays and Augies kind of night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: May 06, 2015, 08:03:49 PM »

There's a Honey Pig just a couple miles from my work in Gaithersbug, my Korean friend really likes it a lot.  I haven't eaten there yet.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #34: May 06, 2015, 09:21:17 PM »
There's a Honey Pig just a couple miles from my work in Gaithersbug, my Korean friend really likes it a lot.  I haven't eaten there yet.
Honey Pig in Annandale was really good.  One of the only places I miss in DC other than El Pollo Rico.  Eat Street and Whittier being a 10 minute bike ride away gives me everything I could ever want, though I have to go to that hell hole St Paul to find a decent Jewish deli.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: May 06, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
No, different place; Yechon is close to 495.  Yechon is better and has more variety.  The service is not great but they are not as rude as Honey Pig.  Take my word--if you don;t have anyone Korean in the group they won;t give you everything you are supposed to get. 

Sorak Garden is also good.

If you want to get adventurous try To Sok Jip--a very little whole in the wall place off Columbia Pike--great lunch specials.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #36: May 06, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »
MDS - El Pollo Rico used this marinade for chicken.  If you're not eating meat, try this with mushrooms, zuccini squash, green beans, or any other veggie.

http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Criollo-Marinade-24-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B00032CV8O

Honey Pig in Annandale was really good.  One of the only places I miss in DC other than El Pollo Rico.  Eat Street and Whittier being a 10 minute bike ride away gives me everything I could ever want, though I have to go to that hell hole St Paul to find a decent Jewish deli.

(Image removed from quote.)

Online blue911

« Reply #37: May 07, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
MDS - El Pollo Rico used this marinade for chicken.  If you're not eating meat, try this with mushrooms, zuccini squash, green beans, or any other veggie.

Orange juice,lime juice.cumin and garlic will give you the same flavor without all the sodium.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #38: May 07, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »

Thanks, I thought that was what they used but could never confirm.  Sadly mushrooms are out but I can imagine that being good on all kinds of veggies.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #39: May 07, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
But for this marinade, the salt is an important component.  Blue's ingredients will be similar, but without the spark in flavor

Orange juice,lime juice.cumin and garlic will give you the same flavor without all the sodium.

• babble on
« Reply #40: May 07, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
So, they have two all-you-can-eat smorgasbords plus a chinese carryout?
Eat Street and Whittier being a 10 minute bike ride away gives me everything I could ever want,
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #41: May 07, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
So, they have two all-you-can-eat smorgasbords plus a chinese carryout?

Fun fact, there are zero all-you-can-eat smorgasbords within city limits of MPLS.  Eat Street is right up your alley, check this place out - http://www.quang-restaurant.com/

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: May 07, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »

across from tuscarora mill is a great German bier garden - Doner Bistro.  Highly recommended.

My favorite restaurant in the area is Seasons 52, even though it's a chain.

• babble on

• babble on
« Reply #44: May 07, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »
Doner Bistro has a second location a couple blocks from me (~ 17th St & Columbia Rd)...love that place. Currywurst and an encyclopedic German beer list. 
across from tuscarora mill is a great German bier garden - Doner Bistro.  Highly recommended.

My favorite restaurant in the area is Seasons 52, even though it's a chain.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #45: May 07, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »
Just be glad it's not Dahmer Bistro.
Doner Bistro has a second location a couple blocks from me (~ 17th St & Columbia Rd)...love that place. Currywurst and an encyclopedic German beer list.

Online blue911

« Reply #46: May 07, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
Just be glad it's not Dahmer Bistro.

Or Donner Bistro

• babble on
« Reply #47: May 07, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
 :spit:

So I was taking Greyhound from Reno to SF, and there was this incredibly drunk Indian dude who was making his way back from Wisconsin where he had gone on a Dahmer pilgrimage (I had encountered Charles Manson groupies before, but this was something new)...he creeped everyone out so badly, the driver got a standing ovation after he drove off while the guy was in the pisser.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #48: May 07, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
:spit:

So I was taking Greyhound from Reno to SF, and there was this incredibly drunk Indian dude who was making his way back from Wisconsin where he had gone on a Dahmer pilgrimage (I had encountered Charles Manson groupies before, but this was something new)...he creeped everyone out so badly, the driver got a standing ovation after he drove off while the guy was in the pisser.

Are you sure he was indian and not, say, Pakastani?

• babble on
« Reply #49: May 07, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
I should probably have left out that particular detail, although it was central to the surreality of the experience...he was done up in full warrior costume, complete with eagle feathers and a woven bone breastplate.