Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84693 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #550: August 15, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
Well, a month of MLB service time does not amount to too much if you plan on bringing him up in June or later next year.  the trickier thing would be if you planned on bringing him up in May or earlier.  30 days service time would tack onto 142 or more next year and give him a full season allowing him to be just above 6 years service time in after 2018 rather than 2019.

One thing the team has shown a willingness to do is to call top prospects up who are going to be super 2s (JZ, Storen, Harper).  I don't think the team would fear him being a super two, so I don't think this would delay a call up to August if he is ready and needed sooner.

My guess is that this would be a "go for it" kind of move.  If they think he can help, maybe even rest a vet, then I think they may do it. 

The year you do plan on bringing him up, it just pushes back the time frame by a month. Given his bat and pedigree, I think they will plan on starting him that year, so you get an extra month of starts from a player not intended to have that kind of playing time, in exchange for some pinch hits and an occasional start- the trade off doesn't seem worth it to me