Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61144 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #425: January 30, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
Is LL Beans customer service really that great?  I might have to check them out since they sell talls.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #426: January 30, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
Yeah, I am biased. But there's no excuse for a hapless cs rep telling me his boss will email me at some point.  I don't expect that kind of service.

Google xbox live credit card issues and you'll see plenty of others having the same problem with no good fix. 

You're right, there is no excuse for that.  I'd have just asked to speak to a supervisor and if they wouldn't connect you to one, call back and try someone else.  But like I said, let's not pretend that this is a special MS thing.

I don't know, XBox live is a total turd for me from top to bottom.  Ever since I put the PS3 in our living room I've been saying "man, why does the Xbox start screen look like a kids crapbox instead of this bad azz slick interface?" 

Like I said, never had an issue nor has anyone (besides you guys :P ) that I know.  Shrug.  PS3?  Ha.  You couldn't pay me to touch that after the hacking and credit card numbers fiasco they went through.

Inept customer service seems directly related :shrug:

Yes, I stand corrected.  That report is still nonsense though.  Consumer bias is very real.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #427: January 30, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
Is LL Beans customer service really that great?  I might have to check them out since they sell talls.

Yes. I did some contracting for them. They will accept returns, exchanges, or replacements after absurd periods of time.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #428: January 30, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
Yes, I stand corrected.  That report is still nonsense though.  Consumer bias is very real.

to an extent, but the same companies constantly appear on customer service awards, and apple tends to be there

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #429: January 30, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
Yes. I did some contracting for them. They will accept returns, exchanges, or replacements after absurd periods of time.

Orvis is like that as well but they don't carry mens clothes in talls.  Anyone here have any experience with their clothes?  Speaking of which, I should start a mens fashion thread.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #430: January 30, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
Orvis is like that as well but they don't carry mens clothes in talls.  Anyone here have any experience with their clothes?  Speaking of which, I should start a mens fashion thread.

Orvis is insane- I ordered unfinished khakis by mistake and called to set up a return- they said I could either return them and they would immediately ship out the finished ones (as in before ups even picked up the return) or they would reimburse me to have a local tailor finish them. Their clothes have gotten increasingly over priced, but they always go on huge sale and are extremely durably and and the finnish/construction is quality 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #431: January 30, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
HS the fact that the same companies are always in there just confirms my theory,  and besides acting like Apple doesn't have plenty of problems while MS is some terrible company is absurd.  I guarantee you I can find plenty of problems on Google right now that "everyone" is having with Apple.  If that's the standard for not dealing with a company,  as imref says of MS, then he shouldn't be dealing with Apple either.  Furthermore, you guys are just reinforcing negative Apple user stereotypes.

At least when I troll the Apple thread I stick to talking about the products :roll: :mg:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #432: January 30, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »
Orvis is insane- I ordered unfinished khakis by mistake and called to set up a return- they said I could either return them and they would immediately ship out the finished ones (as in before ups even picked up the return) or they would reimburse me to have a local tailor finish them. Their clothes have gotten increasingly over priced, but they always go on huge sale and are extremely durably and and the finnish/construction is quality 

Oh yeah, I worked for them back in my community college days and found their customer service policies to be top notch.  I'm not sure if they still do this or not, but back in the day (circa 1997) they give a free fly fishing lesson with Rick Ruoff if you spent over a certain amount on fly fishing gear during the year.  My only beef with Orvis is that none of their mens clothes come in talls. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #433: January 30, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
You guys should start a "clothes you wear" thread.  No snark, just seems like a good loft topic.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #434: January 30, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
You guys should start a "clothes you wear" thread.  No snark, just seems like a good loft topic.

I'm on it Chief!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #435: January 30, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »
HS the fact that the same companies are always in there just confirms my theory,  and besides acting like Apple doesn't have plenty of problems while MS is some terrible company is absurd.  I guarantee you I can find plenty of problems on Google right now that "everyone" is having with Apple.  If that's the standard for not dealing with a company,  as imref says of MS, then he shouldn't be dealing with Apple either.  Furthermore, you guys are just reinforcing negative Apple user stereotypes.

At least when I troll the Apple thread I stick to talking about the products :roll: :mg:

I've owned a Zune.  Case closed. :)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #436: January 30, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »

i can vouch for that too, my wife returned some coats she bought over a year ago - no questions asked.  Compare that to places like target that give you 90 days before your receipt "expires".

Offline The Chief

« Reply #437: January 30, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
I've owned a Zune.  Case closed. :)

Oh well burn on me then :P

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #438: January 30, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »

LL Bean took back a special edition car that they sold... 20+ years later.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/help/0,,1_36877_36883_37024_,00.html

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #439: January 30, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
Yeah, Orvis did that too and often put it in their headquarters depending on the shape of the merchandise.

Offline PC

« Reply #440: January 30, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
Well, getting back to what important...

Microsoft Begins Office 15 Technical Preview

Microsoft today announced that it has begun the Technical Preview program for Office 15, the next version of its office productivity suite. While details are still sparse, the software giant did say, however, that Office 15 is the most ambitious undertaking yet for the Office Division. And that suggests some interesting changes ahead.

"This morning, we reached an important development milestone: the beginning of the 'Office 15' Technical Preview Program," Microsoft's PJ Hough wrote in a post to the Office Exec blog. "Office 15 is the codename for the next generation of the Microsoft Office products and services, and the Technical Preview is the first time we share our work with a select group of customers under non-disclosure agreements. These customers play a key role in our development process by testing early builds and providing feedback, which we incorporate into the final release."

Office 15 will be a big release, Microsoft says, and this will mark the first time it will simultaneously update all of its Office-based cloud services, servers, and mobile and PC clients for Office, Office 365, Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, Project, and Visio.

The public beta is expected "this summer," Microsoft says. The technical preview is already full, so no sign-ups are available at this time.

"I want to thank everyone who is participating in the Technical Preview for their contributions and all our customers for their continued support," Hough added. "Quite simply, Office 15 will help people work, collaborate, and communicate smarter and faster than ever before."

...and the Windows 8 "Consumer Preview" is almost here!  :metal:

posted using Internet Explorer 9

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #441: January 30, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »
That link is for Land's End. Similar but they are arch enemies.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #442: January 30, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »
I'm nervous about 8.  I can't imagine there won't be a user-facing option to disable the start screen and other metro stuff, but I'm still afraid there won't be :nervous:

Office...  shrug.  I don't use it enough to care much about the changes from version to version...  someone else will have to comment on that.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #443: January 30, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
I'm nervous about 8.  I can't imagine there won't be a user-facing option to disable the start screen and other metro stuff, but I'm still afraid there won't be :nervous:

Office...  shrug.  I don't use it enough to care much about the changes from version to version...  someone else will have to comment on that.
Yes, the start screen and metro UI are horrific. Not for everyday OS, mobile maybe.

We got to play around with the developer version a few months ago.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #444: January 30, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Yes, the start screen and metro UI are horrific. Not for everyday OS, mobile maybe.

We got to play around with the developer version a few months ago.

So did the whole world ;)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #445: January 30, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
So did the whole world ;)

:lmao: 

The metro ui sucks for a desktop interface.  A lot of the other stuff added is good though.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #446: January 30, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
Right, but it's not for desktop interface, hence why I can't imagine they'd force it on people.  I expect it'll have an "uninstall" option similar to the way "uninstalling" IE works.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #447: January 30, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
Right, but it's not for desktop interface, hence why I can't imagine they'd force it on people.  I expect it'll have an "uninstall" option similar to the way "uninstalling" IE works.

Then that would be a fail.  It shouldn't even be on by default, IMO.  "Uninstalling" iE doesn't actually work and it's a PITA, isn't it?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #448: January 30, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Then that would be a fail.  It shouldn't even be on by default, IMO.  "Uninstalling" iE doesn't actually work and it's a PITA, isn't it?

You're thinking of the XP days.  "Uninstalling" it in 7 doesn't actually remove the code or save any space obviously but it does totally disable access to IE.  I'm just speculating that an option to remove Metro would work the same way - who knows?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #449: January 30, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
OIC.  That I didn't know, I've never been bothered to try to uninstall it.