Author Topic: Fickle fans  (Read 1030 times)

natsfan1a

Fickle fans
« Topic Start: October 27, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »
Interesting piece, though I don't agree with his baseball rooting choice...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dave_zirin/10/25/fickle.fan/index.html

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Fickle fans
« Reply #1: October 27, 2007, 09:53:53 AM »
Interesting piece, though I don't agree with his baseball rooting choice...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dave_zirin/10/25/fickle.fan/index.html

It seems the last two paragraphs make his argument fall apart as they are somewhat incongruous, not to mention inaccurate. But there's no doubt that the people like to root for winners. That's the name of the game. That's fine, and the bandwaggoneers will gain whatever satisfaction they get out of that. But the diehards for any team will always gain more satisfaction when things go well. Typically, the more you put in, the more you take out.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: October 27, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »
I don't buy his baseball rooting choice either.  Especially because MLB REQUIRED a publicly funded stadium that's NOT costing BILLIONS.  This coming from someone who's team is getting a new stadium the year after ours.  I'm not sure of the details on that one, but I doubt its all privately funded!

If he's so full of rooting for your local team then you root for them, even if they have a publicly funded stadium (that's going to revitalize an area) or if they have a name you object to.  Either go all the way or none at all.  ( I guess he didn't root for the Indians either and he better not send any kids to Florida because of the Seminols.  He better not attend a Mets vs. Braves game either for that matter.)

:rant: :nono:

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: October 27, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
He did seem to get off-track at the end.

He couldn't root for Boston, either, given that the Braves started out there.  :doh: Guess that he didn't root for anyone in the ALCS. Not to say that I'm enamored of the Indians' logo or the Braves' tomahawk chop (or of the Braves for that matter).

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #4: October 27, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
I looked up Citi Field.  Yeah, the majority is privately funded but the state and city did kick in some funds.  I wonder how Shea got funded. The website isn't clear on that.

Selig required the public funds not the Nationals.  Besides a lot of the improvements to the stadium is funded by the Lerners (Scoreboard etc).  Its not costing the city "bILLIONS" as he said.  If it goes outside the cap, the city council has to approve it.

arkymark

« Reply #5: October 27, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
I think Shea was built by public funds.  In fact, it was built for a Continental League team to replace the Dodgers and Giants, but the Continental League never played any games, so it went to the Mets.

Steve Heezy

« Reply #6: October 31, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »
While I agree with the "Fickle Fan" concept he really does tail off and in fact doesn't practice what he preaches.

At the end he says he roots for the Wizards, Ravens, and Mets ... well if he grew up in NYC why does he not support the Knicks, Giants, or Jets?

He can't very well like the Ravens for two reasons. Either he was a fan of the Baltimore Colts which have sense relocated and he should root for Indy, or he was a fan of Cleveland which relocated to Baltimore but have their team back so he should be rooting for the Browns again.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #7: October 31, 2007, 05:02:19 PM »

At the end he says he roots for the Wizards, Ravens, and Mets ... well if he grew up in NYC why does he not support the Knicks, Giants, or Jets?

I thought the same thing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: November 01, 2007, 09:12:34 AM »
While I agree with the "Fickle Fan" concept he really does tail off and in fact doesn't practice what he preaches.

He can't very well like the Ravens for two reasons. Either he was a fan of the Baltimore Colts which have sense relocated and he should root for Indy, or he was a fan of Cleveland which relocated to Baltimore but have their team back so he should be rooting for the Browns again.

Yeah, that guy's article has been pissing me off since I read it.  He's a "true fan", alright, a New York / Baltimore / Washington true fan.  Gimme a break.