Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 104006 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #300: February 27, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »
started season 6 of lost ... yeah.

"Yeah" what?  Yeah you're disappointed you kept on watching?  That show SUCKED after season 3 - the only good character left was Desmond and they freaked that one up in the end, too.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #301: February 27, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
"Yeah" what?  Yeah you're disappointed you kept on watching?  That show SUCKED after season 3 - the only good character left was Desmond and they freaked that one up in the end, too.

Sawyer? Ben? Etc. Etc.

Sure, the show sucked the final season, but it had a damn good run, and some of the very best characters survived till the end.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #302: February 27, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
um i love the show.  looking forward to finishing season 6 and re-watch it from the start.  big fan.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #303: February 27, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »
Sawyer? Ben? Etc. Etc.

Sure, the show sucked the final season, but it had a damn good run, and some of the very best characters survived till the end.

Ben was supposed to be an after-thought and die after three shows.  That character went on WAY too long.

After Sawyer killed his dad in season three (I think) the writers weakened his character with the love triangle thing.

Desmond was the last cool character and even he was weak in the final season.

I watched through to the end because I was committed but I was so disappointed in how they ended that show.  They promised us that it wasn't going to be that inevitable, predictable ending but they lied.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #304: February 27, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »
um i love the show.  looking forward to finishing season 6 and re-watch it from the start.  big fan.

I loved it too.  So much so that it was appointment television and I had to watch it as it aired - commercials and all.  Didn't care, LOST was on and my phone was left off the hook.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #305: February 27, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
Phones still have hooks?

Lost was pretty great. I don't think it stands up to some of today's top dramas but it was fun talking about with co-workers the day after episodes.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #306: February 27, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »
The first two seasons are amazing.  The fin of the shark starts to show up in season three.

In a good way though lol.

It's the best drama on television right now. I've posted this a rack of times in here.

Eh, I think I'd still choose Mad Men.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #307: February 27, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
I like Mad Men. It's been forever since last season. Looks like it starts back up in a month.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #308: February 27, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Mad Men, Band of Brothers, Sopranos and Seinfeld are my four favorite shows ever.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #309: February 27, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »
Mad Men, Band of Brothers, Sopranos and Seinfeld are my four favorite shows ever.

I really need to start catching up on Mad Men.   My top 5 would be MASH, Seinfeld, Top Gear UK, Soap, and Oz.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #310: February 27, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »
The Wire is number one for me, and it's not remotely close.

After that 6 Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Mad Men, Seinfeld, Band of Brothers, etc. Splitting hairs to rank all the serial dramas against each other. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #311: February 27, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »

After that 6 Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Mad Men, Seinfeld, Band of Brothers, etc. Splitting hairs to rank all the serial dramas against each other. 

I've never seen 6 Feet Under but I agree with this. The Wire is the best show I have ever seen. I'd agree with the rest of your ranking too.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #312: February 27, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »

Top Serials Shows:
The Shield
Breaking Bad
Homicide Life on the Streets (up to season five)
The Wire (season five didn't happen)
Wire in the Blood

Guilty Pleasure:
True Blood

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #313: February 27, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
The Wire is the best show I have ever seen. I'd agree with the rest of your ranking too.

Only if you pretend the show ends after season four.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #314: February 27, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
i'm almost done with season five of the wire ... it's good.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #315: February 27, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
i'm almost done with season five of the wire ... it's good.

Season two was their high watermark, season five was a disgrace.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #316: February 27, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Season two was the worst season of The Wire IMO.

The Shield side-stories sucked. Dutchboy, Claudette and all their side cases were boring. The Strike Team and the main plot were awesome, but the side plots is the only reason that show isn't on my top list.

Edit: Actually I just remembered (SERIOUS SPOILER, if you haven't watched all of The Wire DO NOT LOOK JERKFACE) McNulty jumps the shark so hard in season five that it does really ruin that season. Forgot about that. I did like the ending / message / social impact of the whole series at the end of season 5.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #317: February 27, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »
Only if you pretend the show ends after season four.

Meh, its not "The Wire" material but its decent television none the less. It is sort of a disgrace that the series had to end on it.

Season Two was my favorite. I've seen the series all the way through about three times and everytime it changes. Season Three is so awesome but Two has to be my favorite. Frank Sobatka is soooo awesome and the whole backstory of why drugs are in Baltimore is so interesting.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #318: February 27, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
The Shield side-stories sucked. Dutchboy, Claudette and all their side cases were boring.

Dutchboy was my favorite (after Vic Mackey, of course) but the writers totally fell asleep and didn't fully develop him, same with Julian.  At least they gave the best actor on the cast (Walt Goggins) a chance to fully live up to his acting potential in season eight.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #319: February 27, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
The biggest problem with season five of The Wire, outside of what you mentioned in the spoiler, was the blatant ax David Simon was grinding against the Baltimore Sun.  Give it up bro and move on.  That said, The Corner might be the greatest miniseries ever after Roots.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #320: February 27, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Dutchboy was my favorite (after Vic Mackey, of course) but the writers totally fell asleep and didn't fully develop him, same with Julian.  At least they gave the best actor on the cast (Walt Goggins) a chance to fully live up to his acting potential in season eight.

Yup. Hey, check out Justified if you haven't already. It has Goggins in a pretty big role and Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood has the lead. Very good, and very underrated show.

Season 1 actually kinda sucked, but season 2 and season 3 (so far) are great.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #321: February 27, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »
Yeah, Justified is really good.  It's really unfortunate that most of Goggins work has him playing some variation of north Georgia trailer trash.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #322: February 27, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Because Ken Burns is a self-serving blow-hard?

What does that have to do with his documentary making skills?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #323: February 27, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

he definitely has a certain slant, I like his view of baseball, but he has the baseball as metaphor/poetry take that some people don't like

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #324: February 27, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »

IMO - everything.  Rather than an objective view of the sport (which I would expect out of a documentary) I see subjectivity.