Author Topic: Gameday Protocol Discussion  (Read 10772 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Gameday Protocol Discussion
« Reply #50: May 03, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
What dog?

I like threads when theyre off topic, it gives us something to enjoy ourselves besides alcohol with this team.

You might enjoy the following in that case:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/board,8.0.html

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #51: May 03, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »
You might enjoy the following in that case:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/board,8.0.html

:lol: I generally meant gameday threads, just to vent ourselves instead of creating a new topic saying

"freak this team look at this picture of this hot girl"

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #52: May 03, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
"freak this team look at this picture of this hot girl"

Dr. 2k6 has just the prescription:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,6521.0.html

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #53: May 03, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »
 :doh: I see that, but I was saying NOT posting a thread and just talking because the thread is going to be closed anyway.

I guess it makes sense for not existing, but i have no problem against any offtopic stuff in gameday threads.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #54: May 03, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
:doh: I see that, but I was saying NOT posting a thread and just talking because the thread is going to be closed anyway.

I guess it makes sense for not existing, but i have no problem against any offtopic stuff in gameday threads.

nor do i, that's 50% of the fun. otherwise it's all:

"HANRAHAN SUCKS!"

"ADAM DUNN SUCKS! HIS RISP IS .001 EVEN THOUGH HE LEADS THE TEAM IN RBIS!!!"

"TAVAREZ IS A BUM!"

"ALL THE EZ'S NEED TO GET OFF THIS TEAM!"

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #55: May 03, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »
nor do i, that's 50% of the fun. otherwise it's all:

"HANRAHAN SUCKS!"

"ADAM DUNN SUCKS! HIS RISP IS .001 EVEN THOUGH HE LEADS THE TEAM IN RBIS!!!"

"TAVAREZ IS A BUM!"

"ALL THE EZ'S NEED TO GET OFF THIS TEAM!"

QFT, its best when we have these topics mixed in so we can show off the humor and not the hate

The Debbi Taylor talks

The how chicks that people post especially the epic ronnynat post

other sports talks that is going on ATM, i guess this doesnt fit but the other stuff is cool! :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #56: May 03, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
I don't understand why there is a need to lock them at all. rather than making a new thread for every single thought that comes to your head it would be better if we could just post them in that day's game thread.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #57: May 03, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »
time to move on.  Stop living in the past.

In a fairly significant way, these threads represent a very interesting historical archive of fans' thoughts, feelings, and most of all emotions throughout entire seasons.  Every single game a historical artifact, and preserved for as long as Chief is still kicking.   :?              But, I digress.

I like the idea of locking discussion the next day sometime, lest the thread be polluted with non-game related BS.  But no reason to lock it too early. 

You're deluding yourself if you think anything about this place will ever see the inside of the Smithsonian or National Archives. It's a message board nothing more and nothing less (just ask Phil  :icon_mrgreen: ). Locking gameday threads is a waste and as we see in this thread, causes more consternation than the supposed historical significance you think it deserves.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #58: May 03, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »
I don't understand why there is a need to lock them at all. rather than making a new thread for every single thought that comes to your head it would be better if we could just post them in that day's game thread.

You brought up two separate points in that one post.

A) Why lock GD threads at all?  Because why the hell would one see the need to post in a Gameday thread from a game that happened a week ago?

B) I don't think anyone here is getting pissed because a few posts in a thread go off-topic.  I think Chief's issue is when after a game, people start a multiple-page conversation about the Caps or something, when that could easily take place in the Caps thread.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #59: May 03, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
You're deluding yourself if you think anything about this place will ever see the inside of the Smithsonian or National Archives. It's a message board nothing more and nothing less (just ask Phil  :icon_mrgreen: ). Locking gameday threads is a waste and as we see in this thread, causes more consternation than the supposed historical significance you think it deserves.

Wrong.

I know for a fact that plenty of posters like to go back and relive classic games through the threads.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: May 03, 2009, 08:32:07 PM »
You're deluding yourself if you think anything about this place will ever see the inside of the Smithsonian or National Archives. It's a message board nothing more and nothing less (just ask Phil  :icon_mrgreen: ).

haha, don't be such a snob.  History doesn't belong to museums, it belongs to anyone and everyone.  If I want to know what people were thinking the night Nieves homered against the Cubs, or O'Connor dominated the Yankees, I know right where to find it, and I don't need no stinking Smithsonian.   I don't give a rat's ass how "important" the archivists think this stuff is, but it's of value to me and I doubt I'm the only one.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #61: May 03, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »
You brought up two separate points in that one post.

A) Why lock GD threads at all?  Because why the hell would one see the need to post in a Gameday thread from a game that happened a week ago?

B) I don't think anyone here is getting pissed because a few posts in a thread go off-topic.  I think Chief's issue is when after a game, people start a multiple-page conversation about the Caps or something, when that could easily take place in the Caps thread.
who is going to go back and post in a thread a week later? I'm talking about just like posting in a thread the night or morning after. it doesn't make sense locking them at all really

Offline uncleteddy

« Reply #62: May 03, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
I've learned to like this place a lot, but damn if 3/4 of the people here don't need to be heavily medicated for their OCD!  ;)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #63: May 03, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
I've learned to like this place a lot, but damn if 3/4 of the people here don't need to be heavily medicated for their OCD!  ;)
:cough: 2k6 :cough: :lol:

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #64: May 03, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »
I'm talking about just like posting in a thread the night or morning after. it doesn't make locking them at all really

They're still unlocked the night and morning after anyway!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #65: May 03, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
who is going to go back and post in a thread a week later? I'm talking about just like posting in a thread the night or morning after. it doesn't make locking them at all really

Exactly.

Now if you could keep the Caps stuff out of these threads I'd be mucho appreciative.  ;)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #66: May 03, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
All it takes is for one douchebag to post in a thread a week later and then I'd have to bump six other threads to get them all back in the right order.  What does the order matter?  Oh well why don't you try to find any specific inactive thread from 3 years ago on this forum that ISN'T a game thread.  Go ahead, I dare you.

I don't care if you call me OCD or not, game threads get locked.  Besides, if no one's going to post in the threads later, why do you care if they're locked? :roll:

I just think it's hilarious that this whole debate got started over "more people would read this if you put it in the game thread" which I think is absolutely the opposite of what would really happen.  New topics are for getting noticed.

And for the record, I still don't see what there is to discuss in a thread about a rained out game that probably won't be made up for months.  Start the NEXT game thread instead and discuss the potential impact there if you like, because that's really the only relevance that a rainout has.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #67: May 03, 2009, 10:31:08 PM »
How about we'll leave game threads unlocked until the first pitch of the following day's game or 7PM on travel days?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #68: May 03, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
2k6 would just delete the thread for tomorrow's game if they made it tonight because he is OCD and must start every thread himself.

I love when the Chief gets pissed

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #69: May 03, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »
How about we'll leave game threads unlocked until the first pitch of the following day's game or 7PM on travel days?

Looks like you took an overdue prozac in the intervening 10 minutes from this post and your previous rant.

:rofl:

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #70: May 03, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »
2k6 would just delete the thread for tomorrow's game if they made it tonight because he is OCD and must start every thread himself.

Making Gameday threads are my way of contributing to the forum.  If you're intent on being a douche, that's fine, but leave me out of it.  Also, I feel that starting the Gamedays with the same format every day benefits the archiving quality of the Gamedays to those who enjoy looking back at Gameday threads of old.

I love when the Chief gets pissed (Image removed from quote.)

:roll:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #71: May 03, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
Looks like you took an overdue prozac in the intervening 10 minutes from this post and your previous rant.

:rofl:

Actually I did that mysterious thing that some people seem to have trouble understanding - I keep my opinions and my duties separated.

Rant

-pause-

suggestion

See how that works?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #72: May 03, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »
So does anyone have constructive feedback instead of just smartass remarks?  I made a suggestion.  Serious opinions or alternative suggestions would be a step in the right direction.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #73: May 03, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
Making Gameday threads are my way of contributing to the forum.  If you're intent on being a douche, that's fine, but leave me out of it.  Also, I feel that starting the Gamedays with the same format every day benefits the archiving quality of the Gamedays to those who enjoy looking back at Gameday threads of old.

:roll:
you are OCD with making game threads. it is what is. anyone can make the threads. who cares, as long as they make them
early enough.

your way of contributing to the forum? what does that even mean? :rofl:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #74: May 03, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »
So does anyone have constructive feedback instead of just smartass remarks?  I made a suggestion.  Serious opinions or alternative suggestions would be a step in the right direction.
what you said would make sense but I don't know if 2k6 will allow it. :?