Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105239 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #500: September 12, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Definitely a young cardinal. There was a whole family in the tree by the feeder when I got home. Two young ones chirping, begging for seeds from the parents. Parents feeding them seeds from the feeder.

Pretty cute.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #501: September 12, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
Definitely a young cardinal. There was a whole family in the tree by the feeder when I got home. Two young ones chirping, begging for seeds from the parents. Parents feeding them seeds from the feeder.

Pretty cute.

Can u get pictures?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #502: September 12, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I snapped a couple but they aren't great. I missed one of two young ones together by just a second. It looks more like a Cardinal today and especially from this angle, keep in mind that I mostly caught short glimpses of them until today.

Having problems uploading...

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #503: September 12, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »

That's the sibling flying away.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #504: September 12, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
Obv a card angle, sorry bird connoisseurs.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #505: September 13, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
I saw a really bright emerald green bird with a long thin red beak while riding my bike up by the stables in Rock Creek Park a day or so after Hurricane Isabel.  I couldn't ID it, but it sure as hell wasn't native to this area. 

The only other thing I can think of is that it might have been something blown east during that derecho storm. That is a possibility.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #506: September 13, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
Could be an escapee, too. We had a parakeet coming to our feeder for about a week a few years ago.

I saw a really bright emerald green bird with a long thin red beak while riding my bike up by the stables in Rock Creek Park a day or so after Hurricane Isabel.  I couldn't ID it, but it sure as hell wasn't native to this area. 

Online blue911

« Reply #507: September 13, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »

Norwegian Blue Parrot

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #508: September 13, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »
Norwegian Blue Parrot

BEAUTIFUL PLUMAGE!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #509: September 13, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
poor thing.  must have been stunned in the hurricane.

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #510: September 17, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
Any amateur birdwatchers care to ID this badboy?

I think I just saw this same bird again, though he (she?) looks fully grown now.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #511: October 01, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
A new squirrel we have not previously seen showed up earlier today when I was eating. Apparently he wanted me to pay more attention to him:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #512: January 30, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »
Seen on our deck yesterday. I'm still trying to decide if this picture makes him look friendly or scary (scary due to that very sharp claw visible on his left paw). This little guy is almost always a very friendly fellow, though:

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #513: January 30, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
He wants a hug!!  :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #514: January 30, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »
Seen on our deck yesterday. I'm still trying to decide if this picture makes him look friendly or scary (scary due to that very sharp claw visible on his left paw). This little guy is almost always a very friendly fellow, though:

(Image removed from quote.)
"I once found an acorn and it was THIS BIG!"

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #515: January 30, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
You're lucky it wasn't the squirrel spidernat posted in Gio's 'roid thread.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #516: January 30, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »
I wish I could photoshop.  SO many possibilities.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #517: January 31, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
Pileated Woodpecker. Alexandria, VA

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #518: January 31, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
Nice pic.

We have some here, they're pretty funny. When they come up to the suet they start announcing themselves way back in the woods and scream the whole way up.

Suet activity is mostly downy woodpeckers during the winter. The pileated and red bellies mostly stay in the woods until it's warmer.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #519: January 31, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
Driving up the street last night at 6:30 PM I saw what appeared to be a fox roaming along the side of the street near some backyards right as I was about to turn onto our street. I've known for years there are foxes in the woods near our neighborhood, but this is the first time I've seen one roaming around near people's houses instead of just moving around near the woods.

Didn't look big enough to be a coyote, although I know those have been seen in western Fairfax County and in Rock Creek Park.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #520: January 31, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
Driving up the street last night at 6:30 PM I saw what appeared to be a fox roaming along the side of the street near some backyards right as I was about to turn onto our street. I've known for years there are foxes in the woods near our neighborhood, but this is the first time I've seen one roaming around near people's houses instead of just moving around near the woods.

Didn't look big enough to be a coyote, although I know those have been seen in western Fairfax County and in Rock Creek Park.

I walk my dog along a small spring and most night we see a red fox- I think it's a toss up over which one is more scared. During warmer months he ranges at least a half mile or so into our yard. I probably shouldn't feed him, but he gets any left overs with bones that I don't want my dog to have

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #521: January 31, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
Have a few foxes (4 legged) in our neighborhood as well.    Like HalfSmoke wrote, they appear to be more afraid of the dog and me than we are of them.   I spoke to the county and they told me the time to be leery is if they aren't afraid of us.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #522: February 07, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
saw a bird fly by in our basement this morning ... scared the crap out of me.  thankfully animal control is on the way. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #523: February 07, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
saw a bird fly by in our basement this morning ... scared the crap out of me.  thankfully animal control is on the way. 

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #524: February 07, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
I walk my dog along a small spring and most night we see a red fox- I think it's a toss up over which one is more scared. During warmer months he ranges at least a half mile or so into our yard. I probably shouldn't feed him, but he gets any left overs with bones that I don't want my dog to have

Correct.   They may be cute, but they suffer mange and rabies at appalling rates.  Not what you want hanging around your house.