Author Topic: 1st half reflections  (Read 3020 times)

natslive

1st half reflections
« Topic Start: July 10, 2005, 09:22:57 PM »
What a first half - while I thought we would do well this year (predicted 85 wins to my husband) I didn't figure we would end the first half in first place!  Been a great first half - particularly from our seats in section 212.  Some thoughts on the season to date:

Obviously need Nick and Church to come back healthy after the All-Star game as need more offense, glad that Jose Uno is back.  Been pleasantly surprised by Vinny - he's played a great 3B but think he needs a rest every so often - hopefully if Guzman gets healthy then Jamey can spell him there or even Blanco if he's healthy.  Need to get rid of Wil Cordero - why does this man take up a roster slot - I say bring up Short leave him here and give him a chance - he certainly can contribute more than Wil "not even close to a Thrill" Cordero - Wil has had some of the most pathetic ABs I've ever seen.....Guzman needs to hit more (obviously and needs to take more pitches - am tired of seeing him swing at the first pitch and pop up or ground into a DP if we have a man on) but he's played a great defensive SS.....think we should have been playing Wilky at 1B with Nick out and Byrd in center and then Blanco (when he's available) or Cepicky in left.....I love Jamey Carroll - he's a great super utility guy - unfortunately his game suffers when he has to play every day, admit to being surprised by Baerga, think we need another arm in the bullpen or stronger starters so we don't have to use the bullpen as much, Livan is fantastic and pleasantly surprised by Loiaza, Patterson has come a long way, not so sure about Dreese (altho he has done well so far) and Armas needs to get it together.  Armas and Patterson need to learn how to bunt (there have been several games where Armas has failed and it has cost the Nats).  Guillen has been everything we could have wanted and more - I hope he keeps it up, Byrd has been ok but he needs to learn to hit the inside pitch or he'll never be more than a .250 hitter.  Still overall a fantastic first half nad hopefully we'll be healthy the 2nd half and contend for the division title.

BigGameHunter32

1st half reflections
« Reply #1: July 11, 2005, 08:44:01 PM »
Defintely way better than I expected...I was elated just to have a team. The fact that theyre doing so well is just gravy!

Offline Zilla05

1st half reflections
« Reply #2: July 11, 2005, 09:04:57 PM »
I thought they'd win 77 games this year, and people thought I was optimistic :)

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
1st half reflections
« Reply #3: July 11, 2005, 09:22:15 PM »
I worry that if the injuries take their toll, and we fall out of first place, some of the recent fans who have been coming to RFK will stay away, having been spoiled by our winning. We have to hang in there, win or lose! These guys are not quitters, so we shouldn't be, either!

Eddie Cunningham

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
1st half reflections
« Reply #4: July 11, 2005, 09:42:42 PM »
That's part of the game eddie.  If we fall out of first place and the team starts to play poorly you will most undoubtedly lose fans.  These are called the "bandwagon" fans.  This term is abused on the MLB message board but the phenomenon is real.

You have four types of fans: 1) Social, 2) Family, 3) Bandwagon & 4) Diehards.

1) Social Fans: These are the bussiness and political elites.  They buy tickets usually in bulk and most of the the time they don't attend.  Having Diamond Club seats is a status-symbol more than a desire to come out to the ballpark.  If they DO come to the game it's usually to sip on some WINE with a name you can't pronounce and to conduct bussiness or chit-chat about where to park the Bentley in such an "atrocious area" as RFK.  The only cool thing about these fans is that the occassional foul bat will get loose in their section and catch one of these blackberry totin' execs square on the noggin because they are not paying attention to the game.  That's always great for a good laugh.   :lol:

2) Family Fans: These are Mom & Dad taking the kids out on a summer evening to enjoy some of America's past-time with the little ones.  Ahhh, peanuts and crackerjacks...and a kid with his face covered in cotton candy holding onto a foul ball.  That's what it's all about!

3) Bandwagon Fans: People who might know a little about baseball but nothing about the team.  They don't really watch the games on TV and they haven't really followed the players.  They come-out to the ballpark because it's FUN and it's a place you can drink beer outside without getting arrested.  If the team's doing well you will see alot of them because cheering for a winner is really cool.

4) Diehards: These are the fans that LOVE THE GAME.  They usually collected baseball cards as a kid and played in Little League.  They typically were taken to ball games by their Father when growing up and owned at least one major league baseball cap throughout their life.  They will always wear the team colors at games and will even show-up at AWAY games to root for their team.  And as the name implies; Diehards never quit.  Even when their team is in DEAD LAST and sucking on the bottom like a Potomac River catfish - they still love their team.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
1st half reflections
« Reply #5: July 11, 2005, 09:54:01 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
That's part of the game eddie.  If we fall out of first place and the team starts to play poorly you will most undoubtedly lose fans.  These are called the "bandwagon" fans.  This term is abused on the MLB message board but the phenomenon is real.

You have four types of fans: 1) Social, 2) Family, 3) Bandwagon & 4) Diehards.

1) Social Fans: These are the bussiness and political elites.  They buy tickets usually in bulk and most of the the time they don't attend.  Having Diamond Club seats is a status-symbol more than a desire to come out to the ballpark.  If they DO come to the game it's usually to sip on some WINE with a name you can't pronounce and to conduct bussiness or chit-chat about where to park the Bentley in such an "atrocious area" as RFK.  The only cool thing about these fans is that the occassional foul bat will get loose in their section and catch one of these blackberry totin' execs square on the noggin because they are not paying attention to the game.  That's always great for a good laugh.   :lol:

2) Family Fans: These are Mom & Dad taking the kids out on a summer evening to enjoy some of America's past-time with the little ones.  Ahhh, peanuts and crackerjacks...and a kid with his face covered in cotton candy holding onto a foul ball.  That's what it's all about!

3) Bandwagon Fans: People who might know a little about baseball but nothing about the team.  They don't really watch the games on TV and they haven't really followed the players.  They come-out to the ballpark because it's FUN and it's a place you can drink beer outside without getting arrested.  If the team's doing well you will see alot of them because cheering for a winner is really cool.

4) Diehards: These are the fans that LOVE THE GAME.  They usually collected baseball cards as a kid and played in Little League.  They typically were taken to ball games by their Father when growing up and owned at least one major league baseball cap throughout their life.  They will always wear the team colors at games and will even show-up at AWAY games to root for their team.  And as the name implies; Diehards never quit.  Even when their team is in DEAD LAST and sucking on the bottom like a Potomac River catfish - they still love their team.

I remember at the Fourth of July, I sat next to a family who brought some kids, one of which was probably too young to go to the game. He kept kicking the chair in front of him, which made the young woman who was sitting in it complain to the mother. I tried to use my leg block the kid, but I could not play watchdog forever and I had to move it and the kid started doing it again. Eventually the woman and the guy she was with got up and left, and didn't come back. I hope they return to a future Nats game!

Eddie Cunningham

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
1st half reflections
« Reply #6: July 12, 2005, 04:29:37 AM »
Kids will be kids.  That's what you have to expect from little ones.  If it was me I would have just moved to another available seat.  I'm sure that's probably what your couple did.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
1st half reflections
« Reply #7: July 12, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
Nationals Team stats as of July 10th, 2005

Code: [Select]
                         GP   W   L    W%
One Run Games...........  34  24  10  .706
Extra Innings...........   8   4   4  .500
Away Games..............  45  22  23  .489
Home Games..............  43  30  13  .698
Day Games...............  32  18  14  .563
Night Games.............  56  34  22  .607

vs NL East..............  36  18  18  .500
vs NL Central...........  22  14   8  .636
vs NL West..............  12   8   4  .667
Interleague Play........  18  12   6  .667

Record against
Teams .500 or Better....  62  36  26  .581
Teams below .500........  26  16  10  .615

Record when
Scoring 2 runs or less..  24   6  18  .250
Scoring 3 or 4 runs.....  32  16  16  .500
Scoring 5 or more runs..  32  30   2  .938
Scoring the 1st run.....  43  30  13  .698

visionary

1st half reflections
« Reply #8: July 12, 2005, 05:00:14 PM »
Hmmm, how many of those 8 extra innings games came in the past week or so.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
1st half reflections
« Reply #9: July 12, 2005, 05:39:53 PM »
basically...the Nationals don't have very much of an established CORE fanbase.

anyone who says anything contrary (boswell, the "Nats Nation" people on the BPG board etc.) is DEAD WRONG.

This is the first season in DC, they can't have a "fanbase" yet.  The Nationals have to earn it.

what's going on this season is that the Nationals are BUILDING and EARNING their fanbase.  and they are doing it the best way possible, by playing good baseball, playing EXCITING games and WINNING.

you wanna see the Nats core fanbase? wait till Spring Training 2006.  that's the first time you will see it.

Offline UMDNats

1st half reflections
« Reply #10: July 13, 2005, 11:31:26 AM »
the nats are getting respect from the league and other fans. i agree JM, 06 will be start of a fanbase.

but what if the nats go on deep into the playoffs (realistic thought)?

then a bunch of bandwagon fans will be here and dont know anything. hopefully there arent too many of those and there will be a solid core of good fans in 06.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
1st half reflections
« Reply #11: July 13, 2005, 02:26:18 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
but what if the nats go on deep into the playoffs (realistic thought)?

Shhh!!!  You'll jinx us! ;) :lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
1st half reflections
« Reply #12: July 13, 2005, 02:40:14 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
then a bunch of bandwagon fans will be here and don't know anything. hopefully there aren't too many of those and there will be a solid core of good fans in 06.
If a bunch of bandwagon fans showed up here, it would very likely be because they wanted to educate themselves about the Nats as much as possible. Who knows, we might be able to turn a few of them into lifetime fans. New fans have to start somewhere, why not by first hopping on the bandwagon? :wink: