Author Topic: General Offense Discussion  (Read 25395 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: General Offense Discussion
« Reply #100: April 22, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
I think Ankiel is a better CF than Byrd. Great fielder, and who throws better? Might start to hit some...if Ankiel hits .260 with some power, that's far more than I'd expect from Byrd.
CF if OK for now. Need a LF who can hit consistently. Maybe Lombo.

And if the Nats run through their pitchers with all these one-inning guys, let's just think of a 16 inning game. Who pitches? Ah...I can think of an OF who once was The Next Young Hero Pitcher...

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #101: April 22, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
To be fair to Ricky he did have a positive WAR last season at 1.4. It isn't great but it is positive. The real issue with the Nats offense this season is left field which will be fixed when Morse is back but still the Nats need to do something until then. Can't keep getting nothing out of that spot. Two solutions I have come up with are to call up Tyler Moore or Corey Brown or to sign JD Drew.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #102: April 22, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »
I was just driving and on ESPN radio they talked about for the Nats for a couple mins. They had Borbson Lollerskittles on as a guest and they brought up with him how Zimmerman hasn't been hitting and asked who has been carrying the Nats. I automatically thought of Adam LaRoche or Jayson Werth. His answer was immediately Ian Desmond. I almost crashed my car.

:lmao:  Geez, Bobble Liechtenstein is awful.  After reading the post-game comments in the GDT and now this...sheesh.  Has he always had this big a man-crush on Desmond?  I'd almost like to see us trade Desmond just to see his reaction...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #103: April 22, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »
Yes, he's always been this way.

You're only hearing about it more now because Desmond has actually given Lorb a reason to gloat.

Offline welch

« Reply #104: April 22, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
To be fair to Ricky he did have a positive WAR last season at 1.4. It isn't great but it is positive. The real issue with the Nats offense this season is left field which will be fixed when Morse is back but still the Nats need to do something until then. Can't keep getting nothing out of that spot. Two solutions I have come up with are to call up Tyler Moore or Corey Brown or to sign JD Drew.

I don't think either Brown or Moore are ready for the majors; Moor probably isn't ready for LF either.

This is "grit your teeth and endure time". I think Lombo is the best the Nats have just now.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #105: April 22, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »

...Lombo?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #106: April 23, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
Can you imagine playing the Philth with Werth and JD Drew in the OF? Trade for Abreu and really make'em howl.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #107: April 23, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
I was just driving and on ESPN radio they talked about for the Nats for a couple mins. They had Borbson Lollerskittles on as a guest and they brought up with him how Zimmerman hasn't been hitting and asked who has been carrying the Nats. I automatically thought of Adam LaRoche or Jayson Werth. His answer was immediately Ian Desmond. I almost crashed my car.

FP called Desmond our MVP to this point in the season after his RBI fly to end our last game, which feels like FOREVER ago=).  Maybe he got caught up in the moment a bit, but it's arguably true I think. 

I don't see how we can't be happy with the offense to date.  The only people not producing are those who won't be on the team (or will be at the far end of the bench) once everyone is healthy and Harper is up.  THe outfield is even starting to look crowded if ANkiel keeps producing (and Davey starts playing Lombo in LF a bit)...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #108: April 25, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »
Last seven days (four games) the offense is hitting .200/.255/.331/.586

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #109: April 25, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
Last seven days (four games) the offense is hitting .200/.255/.331/.586

we've become the 2010 SF Giants, with better starting pitching.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #110: April 25, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »
we've become the 2010 SF Giants, with better starting pitching.

Who is going to be the Commander Cody Ross waiver wire pick up for us?  Luke Scott? 

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #111: April 25, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
We need to add offense.  Options as I see them would be Lombo and Tracy in place of Zimm and Morse.  Other option is Tyler Moore if he is deemed adequate in left.  With Zimm and Morse out, we must have help.  I'm intrigued by Moore - what does the guy have to do?  31 homers in high minors for 2 straight years and raking this year?  I think calling for Harper is a big mistake - he has not solved AAA (in spite of 1 home run) and does not appear ready.  As can't miss as he's described (and I believe he will be fine in the long run), he needs to demonstrate in AAA why he is can't miss.  He probably will but most definitively has not to date.  Promoting him on his name would be a HUGE mistake and could seriously set back his development.

We seem to have enough in house options and shouldn't resort to a panic trade unless it produces a long-term piece.

Offline madj55

« Reply #112: April 25, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
At this point I'd rather have Elijah Dukes out in left field, at least he showed flashes occasionally

« Reply #113: April 25, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
We need to add offense.  Options as I see them would be Lombo and Tracy in place of Zimm and Morse.  Other option is Tyler Moore if he is deemed adequate in left.  With Zimm and Morse out, we must have help.  I'm intrigued by Moore - what does the guy have to do?  31 homers in high minors for 2 straight years and raking this year?  I think calling for Harper is a big mistake - he has not solved AAA (in spite of 1 home run) and does not appear ready.  As can't miss as he's described (and I believe he will be fine in the long run), he needs to demonstrate in AAA why he is can't miss.  He probably will but most definitively has not to date.  Promoting him on his name would be a HUGE mistake and could seriously set back his development.

We seem to have enough in house options and shouldn't resort to a panic trade unless it produces a long-term piece.

Totally agree.  Moore has been doing it all in the minors and is having a great season in Syracuse.  Love to see what Moore could with the Nats.   If Zim is out long term Lombo is the best pick to take over at 3b.   

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #114: April 25, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
i want bj upton at the deadline

Offline blue911

« Reply #115: April 25, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »

Not going to happen.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #116: April 25, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »

i wish the nats had him now.

but it's got to be time for tyler moore, why not give him a shot.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #117: April 25, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
No point in trading for Upton when he's a FA this off-season.

Nats are pretty much set offense wise for this season, unfortunately.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #118: April 25, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
call up Tyler Moore.  do it now.

SS Desmond
2B Espinosa
3B Zimmerman
1B LaRoche
RF Werth
LF Moore
CF Ankiel
C Ramos

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #119: April 25, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
i don't care who we get but if we want to make the playoffs then we need a REAL bat

Offline welch

« Reply #120: April 25, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
call up Tyler Moore.  do it now.

SS Desmond
2B Espinosa
3B Zimmerman
1B LaRoche
RF Werth
LF Moore
CF Ankiel
C Ramos

Yes. Although Moore is the best of a bad bunch. Lombo at 3B until August, when Zimmerman comes back (I hope). Moore hit well in AA, and has done well for a month in AAA. That is not a lot of experience, but it's better than nothing.

Plus: hope that nobody else gets hurt. 

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #121: April 25, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »

BJ Upton is very streaky. I remember watching him back during the Rays WS run. He is a good hitter but I just don't think he is worth what you will have to give up to get him.

Tampa has weak bats as it is...

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #122: April 25, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
BJ Upton is very streaky. I remember watching him back during the Rays WS run. He is a good hitter but I just don't think he is worth what you will have to give up to get him.

Tampa has weak bats as it is...

I wouldn't mind an offseason signing. I like him better than Bourne.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #123: April 25, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
Yes, he's always been this way.

You're only hearing about it more now because Desmond has actually given Lorb a reason to gloat.

I accidentally listened to about a minute of him on 106.7 and the host asked him which player was disappointing and needed to pick it up.  This was around the time when Zim, Espy, and Ramos weren't hitting for the Nats.  Borb's answer?  Bernadina. :bang:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #124: April 25, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
i wish the nats had him now.

but it's got to be time for tyler moore, why not give him a shot.

Moore may make us pine for Dunn's defense in left.