Author Topic: the MLB Network thread.  (Read 45504 times)

MrMadison

Re: the MLB Network thread.
« Reply #100: January 06, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »
Harold Reynolds and the Hot Stove Dudes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kruk, Olney and Ravech.

I have no further reason to ever watch Baseball Tonight.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #101: January 06, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »
Harold Reynolds and the Hot Stove Dudes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kruk, Olney and Ravech.

I have no further reason to ever watch Baseball Tonight.
I missed Harold. I'm glad MLB gave him another chance
I expect Baseball Tonight's ratings to suffer substantially.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #102: January 06, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »
I for sure won't be watching those a-holes anymore.

I haven't watched much of the Baseball Network coverage thus far but in the little I have watched and from what everyone is saying on here it sounds like they are doing a good job.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #103: January 06, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »

Though, I did not like the way Reynolds peppered Boras with the same question three straight times.  It reminded me of Jim Grey and Pete Rose.  Even my wife said of Reynolds, "dude, let it go - he ain't gonna answer your question."

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #104: January 06, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Eh, I could take or leave Reynolds and Mitch Williams, but the great thing about this network is how they include such an array of baseball writers and personalities from around the league.

ESPN pretty much sticks exclusively with their own bunch of idiots and rarely has extensive interviews with execs or players around the league.  If you want something other than Kruk, Olney, or Phillips: tough crap.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #105: January 06, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »
excited to see the network in action come opening day. i like it so far

MrMadison

« Reply #106: January 06, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
show I hadn't heard of - "Cathedrals of The Game".

they are showing Safeco Field right now.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #107: January 06, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
Damn, it's not in HD?  I'm spoiled  :-[

Already liking the diversity of coverage better than ESPN though, and I just turned on the TV 5 minutes ago :lol:

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #108: January 06, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
Damn, it's not in HD?  I'm spoiled  :-[

Already liking the diversity of coverage better than ESPN though, and I just turned on the TV 5 minutes ago :lol:
It is on DirecTV. I see Comcast isn't picking that up yet though.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #109: January 07, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
Alright, Harold Reynolds-philes: I'm watching this segment right now where Magrane, Leiter, and Reynolds are supposed to be GM's of the Reds, Pirates, and Padres.

The premise is that they have to pick up a free agent pitcher for their respective teams.  Leiter says Oliver Perez should go to the Pirates.  Reynolds picks next for the Padres and selects...Livan.Hernandez.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #110: January 07, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
Alright, Harold Reynolds-philes: I'm watching this segment right now where Magrane, Leiter, and Reynolds are supposed to be GM's of the Reds, Pirates, and Padres.

The premise is that they have to pick up a free agent pitcher for their respective teams.  Leiter says Oliver Perez should go to the Pirates.  Reynolds picks next for the Padres and selects...Livan.Hernandez.

I'm hoping the reason had something to do with yelling at the ownership for cutting budget in every possible way

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #111: January 07, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »
Though, I did not like the way Reynolds peppered Boras with the same question three straight times.  It reminded me of Jim Grey and Pete Rose.  Even my wife said of Reynolds, "dude, let it go - he ain't gonna answer your question."

The Chris Matthews of baseball :lol:

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #112: January 07, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm hoping the reason had something to do with yelling at the ownership for cutting budget in every possible way
:lol: Actually, his reasoning was that Livan's a fly ball pitcher who could thrive at Petco, which wasn't terrible, but that you'd pick him over all other available pitchers is unconscionable.

Offline blue911

« Reply #113: January 07, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
:lol: Actually, his reasoning was that Livan's a fly ball pitcher who could thrive at Petco, which wasn't terrible, but that you'd pick him over all other available pitchers is unconscionable.

All the while overlooking the fact the Livan's HR ratio at Petco was basically the same as it was at Coors.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #114: January 07, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
So basically, when Livan gives them up, he doesn't give up cheapies.  He gives up back breaking bombs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #115: January 07, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »
All the while overlooking the fact the Livan's HR ratio at Petco was basically the same as it was at Coors.

Small sample sizes.

Offline blue911

« Reply #116: January 07, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »
Small sample sizes.

So that makes Harold Reynolds correct? DPM has it correct, there isn't a park that can hold Livan when he's on his game.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #117: January 07, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
Hahaha, I love Hot Stove.  Jon Heyman just got taken to task.

He said that Lincecum didn't deserve the CY because he didn't have as much pressure and "was always pitching for his own statistics."

Tom Verducci/Harold Reynolds: "He had more pressure on him because that team had no offense."

Heyman's a moron.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #118: January 20, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
Anyone watch "Pride and Perseverance:  The Story of the Negro Leagues" last night?  I TiVO'ed it last night and I am looking forward to watching it tonight though I am disappointed they only found 1 hour to devote to it.

Offline arlington

« Reply #119: January 29, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »
This evening I went to the MLB channel on FiOS (Arlington - channel 86), and got a screen that said that MLB is a subscription channel, and I haven't subscribed.  It had not been for the first 4 weeks of its existence.  I also believe this is contrary to the deal between MLB and the carriers. 

Anybody else experience this? 

I actually enjoyed the films of the WWII World Series they showed this week.  When the Cardinals played the Browns in 1944, would all the series games have been played in Sportsmans Park (later to be the first Busch Stadium)?  I think that was the Browns stadium and the Cardinals played there too and then became the sole occupant when the Browns moved somewhere that had a Memorial Stadium. 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #120: January 30, 2009, 12:44:42 AM »
Don't see it on DISH. Did I just miss it?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #121: January 30, 2009, 01:34:17 AM »
This evening I went to the MLB channel on FiOS (Arlington - channel 86), and got a screen that said that MLB is a subscription channel, and I haven't subscribed.  It had not been for the first 4 weeks of its existence.  I also believe this is contrary to the deal between MLB and the carriers.
http://mlb.mlb.com/network/about/faq/

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #122: January 30, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »
I finally got around to watching "Pride and Perseverence:  The Story of the Negro Leagues" last night (I DVR'ed it on MLK Day).  The only disappointing feature was the short length of time they spent (one hour).  I really hope they start a mini-series on it.

Offline arlington

« Reply #123: January 30, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
Thanks for the link, Omaha.

I don't know about expanded basic, whatever that is.  I pay enough for FiOS as it is. 

It was nice to see the network launch, but it isn't worth paying extra for, if that is necessary.  And it certainly isn't worth dealing with Verizon to try and find out.  Their customer service almost makes me want to go back to Comcast. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #124: January 30, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »
I have Fios and I'm getting it no problem.