Author Topic: Should Harper be platooned?  (Read 6848 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Should Harper be platooned?
« Reply #50: August 12, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
Bryce Harper is an all-timer of a prospect. You make room for him. He still has made some big plays in big games. FP and other reports have talked about how the veterans have done their best to help him develop, and the team has been tearing it up with him playing. He offers value even when slumping. He plays in center or the corner as needed , is slowly cutting down on stupid throws, and is excellent on the bases when he gets there. When he doesn't start he gives you a good bench piece.

He has had some more days off lately. I think if the Nats keep a comfortable lead he'll play more days than not, but if the lead tightens you'll see Moore get more platoon  bats. Bryce Harper simply has too much talent and ability to impact a game that you don't send him down. Even if his playing time is cut he is still someone you can use a pinch runner/hitter and put in the OF late in games.

You don't have to go 100% on building for the future or 100% playing for today. The Nationals have done a good job building a team that can contend for this season but not risk the future. There's a reason other teams are scared of the Nationals. We're nursing along future superstars in Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg yet we are likely going to make the playoffs and be a big threat to anyone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #51: August 12, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
Bryce Harper is an all-timer of a prospect. You make room for him, and the team has been tearing it up with him playing. He still has made some big plays in big games. He plays in center or the corner as needed , is slowly cutting down on stupid throws, and is excellent on the bases when he gets there. When he doesn't start he gives you a

He has had some more days off lately. I think if the Nats keep a comfortable lead he'll play more days than not, but if the lead tightens you'll see Moore get more platoon  bats. Bryce Harper simply has too much talent and ability to impact a game that you don't send him down. Even if his playing time is cut he is still someone you can use a pinch runner/hitter and put in the OF late in games.

You don't have to go 100% on building for the future or 100% playing for today. The Nationals have done a good job building a team that can contend for this season but not risk the future. There's a reason other teams are scared of the Nationals. We're nursing along future superstars in Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg yet we are likely going to make the playoffs and be a big threat to anyone.

So... still not seeing why it's a bad idea to platoon him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #52: August 12, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »
So... still not seeing why it's a bad idea to platoon him.
We have a big lead in the division and are playing well right now. If you see the lead tighten and his bat is still an issue, in my opinion he'll rightly be platooned more often. It's so late in the season I'm not sure if it worth sending him down at this point. Maybe a week or two to refocus him, but I really am not sure how that would work.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: August 12, 2012, 04:17:10 PM »
I'm still not seeing why he's being given starts. He's the worst hitting outfielder we have. He's good in the outfield, but occasionally makes an absolutely bone headed play. He's far too aggressive at the plate and can not lay off breaking stuff low and away. He's a poor baserunner who makes up for it with speed.

If he weren't so highly touted, he'd have been sent down.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #54: August 12, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
Very true. Not often can first place teams afford to baby sit a learning on the job prospect, but when he is that talented and the team has been winning despite his struggles, you make exceptions.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: August 12, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
We have a big lead in the division and are playing well right now. If you see the lead tighten and his bat is still an issue, in my opinion he'll rightly be platooned more often. It's so late in the season I'm not sure if it worth sending him down at this point. Maybe a week or two to refocus him, but I really am not sure how that would work.

So you agree he should be platooned in the post season?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #56: August 12, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
We do not have a big lead

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #57: August 12, 2012, 07:20:45 PM »
So you agree he should be platooned in the post season?

I can see the argument both ways. It's logical offensively, but Bryce Harper can make game changing plays with his glove and on the bases. You need the game changing plays in the playoffs. Counter argument is although Moore is a lesser defender and runner, he doesn't make those big mistakes.

I err on the side of defense over offense, but I also have an aversion against mistake prone players. Really I just don't know.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #58: August 12, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »
I can see the argument both ways. It's logical offensively, but Bryce Harper can make game changing plays with his glove and on the bases. You need the game changing plays in the playoffs.
This is true, Harper is prone to game changing plays for the other team. I will be pissed at him forever if we lose in the playoffs because he missed yet another cutoff man or got picked off at 1B for the millionth time.

Offline blue911

« Reply #59: August 12, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
This is true, Harper is prone to game changing plays for the other team. I will be pissed at him forever if we lose in the playoffs because he missed yet another cutoff man or got picked off at 1B for the millionth time.

That's a non sequitur. What does that have to do with the handedness of the opposing pitcher? If you believe that Harper isn't fundamentally prepared to play in the majors then you demote him.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #60: August 12, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

Trout was sent down

Offline Slateman

« Reply #61: August 12, 2012, 09:48:06 PM »
Trout was sent down

He also finished the season with the club.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #62: August 13, 2012, 04:45:42 AM »
He also finished the season with the club.

Since there are about 15 games left before September call ups it doesn't make sense to send him down thias late. DJ just needs to rest him more frequently on successive days.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #63: August 13, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
Thomas Boswell on the subject: http://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-boswell-120813.html

Quote from: Question
Welcome back! With Bryce struggling so badly, do you think Davey goes Left/Right platoon with Moore the rest of the way? Will he even consider it?

Quote from:  Thomas Boswell
I just said that this a.m. to our sports editor.

As a question. Moore has actually hit a bit better vs RHers. I don't think you platoon. Just as you sacrifice some up-side in '12 by protecting Strasburg's arm, I think you also sacrifice some upside this year for the sake of keeping Harper's enormous self-confidence intact. One is an obvious issue, the other is more subtle __but important, as Davey knows.

What we've seen the last few days __give Harper a bit of rest, but don't platoon__ is correct. I think it's clear, no matter what anybody with the nats says__ that Harper has been worn down BY EVERYTHING. Not just playing in MLB but all the attention, All-Star game, controversies with Hamels and Ozzie Guillen and the two smash-a-bat episodes. Last year, he says he lost some weight and strength as the year wore on. Not a lot. But enough that he wanted to figure out how to avoid it in future. Looks like some of the same is happening now.

Mantlke was sent back to the minors in mid-season when he was a rookie. And Willie Mays didn't start every game for Leo Durocher when he was a rookie. A day off once in a while shouldn't be hard for a 19-year-old to accept.

Of course, as soon as/if Harper gets hot again __and all players are streaky__ this discussion will change!

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #64: August 13, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
I've had the opposite thought than Bos, if Harper is benched for some or many of our playoff games it will just light a fire under him to work harder for next year.

Offline blue911

« Reply #65: August 13, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
I've had the opposite thought than Bos, if Harper is benched for some or many of our playoff games it will just light a fire under him to work harder for next year.

That's like saying Strasburg isn't intense enough. Harper isn't struggling because of his work ethic, if anything it may be counter productive at this time of year.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #66: August 13, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
That's like saying Strasburg isn't intense enough. Harper isn't struggling because of his work ethic, if anything it may be counter productive at this time of year.

I pretty much agree.  I don't really think what happens to Harper this year in terms of playing or not playing will have much impact on Harper in future years.  And if it does, then he has a psyche so fragile that he is going to way under-perform our expectations anyways...

Offline blue911

« Reply #67: August 13, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
I pretty much agree.  I don't really think what happens to Harper this year in terms of playing or not playing will have much impact on Harper in future years.  And if it does, then he has a psyche so fragile that he is going to way under-perform our expectations anyways...

What Harper needs is experience. You don't get that sitting on the bench. He has a worse time hitting relievers than lefties, that screams rookie. It isn't his ego or any of that nonsense, it's you want him to gain experience as quickly as possible.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that he shouldn't have days off. I think that will do him some good.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #68: August 13, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
What Harper needs is experience. You don't get that sitting on the bench. He has a worse time hitting relievers than lefties, that screams rookie. It isn't his ego or any of that nonsense, it's you want him to gain experience as quickly as possible.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that he shouldn't have days off. I think that will do him some good.

I agree with you all Harp needs to get back on his feet appears to be just more major league ABs.   But then I disagree with everything else you seem to be saying.  At this point, the point of the rest of this season and the playoffs isn't to let Harper gain experience as quickly as possible because pretty much the only point of the rest of the year is to win the World Series.  If that means Harper isn't playing then that's what that means. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #69: August 13, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »

I agree with you all Harp needs to get back on his feet appears to be just more major league ABs.   But then I disagree with everything else you seem to be saying.  At this point, the point of the rest of this season and the playoffs isn't to let Harper gain experience as quickly as possible because pretty much the only point of the rest of the year is to win the World Series.  If that means Harper isn't playing then that's what that means. 

So you're saying to platoon him even though that isn't what's wrong with him? That makes no sense.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #70: August 13, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »
So you're saying to platoon him even though that isn't what's wrong with him? That makes no sense.

I'm saying play the guy we think gives us the best shot to win.  How is that nonsensical?

EDIT:  Perhaps what is not clear is that when I say Harper needs more ABs to have enough experience to reach his potential, I'm talking on the order of another season or two of ABs, not two weeks worth. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #71: August 13, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »
I trust Davey.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: August 13, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »

I would say sit him against relievers if that's the problem (I'm sure the team has better metrics than we do and knows what the problem is- if there even is a problem). Moore can hit- I know he doesn't have harper's ceiling or defensive skill, but right now, he appears to be the better hitter, and a pennant race isn't the time to be concerned about getting rookies enough at bats to help them develop

Offline blue911

« Reply #73: August 13, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
I would say sit him against relievers if that's the problem (I'm sure the team has better metrics than we do and knows what the problem is- if there even is a problem). Moore can hit- I know he doesn't have harper's ceiling or defensive skill, but right now, he appears to be the better hitter, and a pennant race isn't the time to be concerned about getting rookies enough at bats to help them develop

The whole platoon stuff is nonsense. If you think that Tyler Moore gives the Nationals the best chance to win, that's fine but don't tell me that Moore needs to be in a platoon with Harper. There is nothing to support that either player would benefit from a platoon either short or long term, nor would the team.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: August 13, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »
I think right now moore does give the team a better shot- I'd give harper a few more weeks to get out of his slump, but if he doesn't, he's not helping the team