Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 62972 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #400: November 29, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »
How on earth will I carry it all? Even with a follower, it seems like you can fill up pretty quick on swag. I almost wish I could have a couple donkeys to take along to haul the stuff after clearing a map. :lol:

I store stuff in my house or just simply remember where stuff is if I can't take it with me. I'll use fast travel to come back and get the stuff and then fast travel back to a town.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #401: November 29, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
Xbox has the best ratings but if you want the option to use a keyboard/mouse or take advantage of the mods PC would be better. I cannot comment from personal experience, I opted for the PC version.

According to who? It looks like all three versions get the same grade.  :shrug:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #402: November 29, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »
How on earth will I carry it all? Even with a follower, it seems like you can fill up pretty quick on swag. I almost wish I could have a couple donkeys to take along to haul the stuff after clearing a map. :lol:

It does fill up quickly, even more so as a mage where you'd never really want to put points into stamina (increasing stamina increases carry weight).  That's really my biggest beef with the game, because I want to loot ALL the things.

You could do what I do and cheat though :lol:  open up the in game console with the ~ key, then issue this command:
modav carryweight X where X is the value you want to modify by.  For instance, I did 200 so I have a 500 pound carry weight :lol:  you can use negative numbers to bring it down as well.

One good gold tip to start out is loot all the potatoes you can, and I did cabbage and leeks too.  They are light.  You can go to Rorikstead and talk to one worker in the field.  Don't forget to loot the crops growing first.  You can tell them "I have potatoes/cabbage/leeks to sell." and they take them and give you gold automatically, no trade window like in a shop.  I also don't think they have a set amount of gold, so you can't deplete them unlike a shopkeeper.

Potatoes are .1 pound and 1 gold.  So 10 gold per pound, not a bad value/weight ratio to start out.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #403: November 29, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
I want this game sooooo bad. One of my co-workers told me he has about 90hrs in it already and hasn't even really started the main quest. He's just been doing side quests and creating stuff. Said his main character is like level 49? PC version.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #404: November 29, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »
The Steed stone removes armor weight and gives you a +100 carry bonus.  There are also carry weight potions and enchantments later on.

:nono: @Nathan

Easiest way is just to prioritize.  Aside from the very beginning of the game when you're dirt poor, I don't pick up anything if it's not at least a 10-to-1 value to weight ratio.  Later on I revise that value upward as I see fit.  It already takes me cleaning out every merchant in town (sometimes multiple towns) to sell everything anyway, so carry weight is the least of my concerns anymore.

It does fill up quickly, even more so as a mage where you'd never really want to put points into stamina (increasing stamina increases carry weight).  That's really my biggest beef with the game, because I want to loot ALL the things.

But as a pure mage you don't have armor and weapon weight to contend with, so you should actually have an advantage for most of the early part of the game.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #405: November 29, 2011, 11:50:55 PM »
I've only got about 47 hours in, my Mage is level 26.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #406: November 29, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
That Jarl in Falkreath is a douchebag. I've met two good Jarls (Whiterun,Solitude) and two lousy ones (Falkreath, Dawnstar). Haven't met the other ones as of yet.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #407: November 30, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »
Looks like I pissed someone off:

As you can see, failure was indeed an option.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #408: November 30, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »
That Jarl in Falkreath is a douchebag. I've met two good Jarls (Whiterun,Solitude) and two lousy ones (Falkreath, Dawnstar). Haven't met the other ones as of yet.

Can't believe that dick in Dawnstar only gave me 100 gold for killing a giant

Offline Nathan

« Reply #409: November 30, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
The Jarl in Whiterun has terrible posture :lol:

Is anyone else an obsessive book collector?  I want to loot every one I see so I can read them later from my house.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #410: November 30, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »
The Jarl in Whiterun has terrible posture :lol:

Is anyone else an obsessive book collector?  I want to loot every one I see so I can read them later from my house.

Yeah, I actually read those things.  :)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #411: November 30, 2011, 12:25:16 AM »
I always forget about the Khajiit traders outside of most towns when I'm selling my loot.  Not that it matters...  I'm getting to the point where I come home with multiple pieces of ebony gear, and my speech is high enough that one piece is worth more than most merchants even have.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #412: November 30, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »
I always forget about the Khajiit traders outside of most towns when I'm selling my loot.  Not that it matters...  I'm getting to the point where I come home with multiple pieces of ebony gear, and my speech is high enough that one piece is worth more than most merchants even have.

Hmmmm....I've never did any business with them. Do you give you the same deal as the merchants in town?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #413: November 30, 2011, 12:41:26 AM »
Hmmmm....I've never did any business with them. Do you give you the same deal as the merchants in town?

They're pretty friendly, I've never had an issue with them.  Prices seem competitive with other merchants, and they usually have more gold (around 800 seems to be typical).  Just look for the tents outside of Dawnstar and Windhelm (by the stables).  I think there's one outside of Whiterun as well (again, near the stables).  Probably other towns too, but I haven't been to most of the other towns yet.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #414: November 30, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
Yes, there are khajiit just out of Whiterun.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #415: November 30, 2011, 01:30:04 AM »
I just spent an hour selling off loot from *one* crypt.  I now have over 30,000 gold :shock:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #416: November 30, 2011, 02:44:13 AM »

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #417: November 30, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »
So in your opinion which comes first, the horse or the house? I am starting to think horse based on the comments.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #418: November 30, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »
So in your opinion which comes first, the horse or the house? I am starting to think horse based on the comments.

I much prefer the house. I've hardly used a horse in Skyrim.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #419: November 30, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »

House, you need to be able to store loot.

Horses were worthless in Oblivion and I haven't read good things about them this round either.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #420: November 30, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
I wouldn't totally discount a horse, esp. early in game when things like bears and sabre cats will eat you alive.  You can't outrun them on foot, but you can on a horse.  Horses also generally traverse inconsistent terrain more easily.  You can also fast travel while overburdened if you're on a horse, which makes clearing out dungeons in one trip easier.

That said, the house is an infinitely better long-term investment.  My horse mysteriously disappeared on me a while back (I'm guessing killed by wild animals, bandits, or a dragon) and I haven't bothered to replace it.  They also have the distressing habit of charging headlong into battle and getting in the way, but then running quite a distance away when they've been injured, making it a challenge to find them again (I usually just fast travel to the nearest location, this brings them back right next to you).

Horses were worthless in Oblivion and I haven't read good things about them this round either.

They're much more useful than they were in Oblivion, but the continued lack of any form of mounted combat and the fact that dismounting to fight an enemy usually leaves you vulnerable does make them of limited use.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #421: November 30, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »
I wouldn't totally discount a horse, esp. early in game when things like bears and sabre cats will eat you alive.

This was just an auto-reload for me until I got Kyne's Peace.

You can also fast travel while overburdened if you're on a horse, which makes clearing out dungeons in one trip easier.

You'd still have to get out of the dungeons, though. I have those potions that let me overload for 300 seconds or whatever.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #422: November 30, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
You'd still have to get out of the dungeons, though. I have those potions that let me overload for 300 seconds or whatever.

Those are called potions of strength. I keep a crapload of those on me. They are lifesavers when you come across some great loot that you can't normally carry on yourself. I just drink the potion, get the loot, get out of the cave/dungeon, and fast travel to my house so I can store said loot or sell it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #423: November 30, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »
This was just an auto-reload for me until I got Kyne's Peace.

Shrug.  Personal preference.  And mine is not to die.  Nothing breaks immersion like being immortal.

So what you're saying is you'll dump dozens of hours into this game, but you're too impatient to spend 5 minutes walking out of the dungeon with all your loot?  Hell, you'd probably spend more time making multiple trips :P (or selling the loot, for that matter)

Those are called potions of strength. I keep a crapload of those on me. They are lifesavers when you come across some great loot that you can't normally carry on yourself. I just drink the potion, get the loot, get out of the cave/dungeon, and fast travel to my house so I can store said loot or sell it.

Those potions are only good for 50-60 extra points even at the higher levels, and you can't stack them.  Horse FTW, IMO.  That said, I usually don't bother with either option and just drop my least valuable loot.  I also tend to store all my loot from each "stage" of a dungeon in a chest or barrel near the beginning of that section to minimize walking time when I'm leaving.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #424: November 30, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
Those potions are only good for 50-60 extra points even at the higher levels, and you can't stack them.  Horse FTW, IMO.  That said, I usually don't bother with either option and just drop my least valuable loot.  I also tend to store all my loot from each "stage" of a dungeon in a chest or barrel near the beginning of that section to minimize walking time when I'm leaving.

I've actually stored stuff in a chest, then came back later to get it. I have a good memory.  :)