Author Topic: Fan dies at Rangers-A's game tonight  (Read 1140 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Fan dies at Rangers-A's game tonight
« Topic Start: July 10, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »
I was at a Q&A yesterday with some of the Nats Mgmnt and Bo Porter.  A fan asked in light of this tragedy should MLB make any new rule about throwing balls into the stands.   Btw, I disagreed with the question.  It was answered like this.  Not quotes but my understanding of their answers.

The players when it comes to throwing balls into the stands are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  If they do and someone gets hurt then the team is faulted for injuries.   If they don't; they are faulted for not being fan friendly.   Baseball is family entertainment and is wants to have a good relationship with its fans.

Then Bo Porter spoke.  He spoke of a time he was a coach with the Marlins.  Said once a Marlins player threw a ball into the lower seats.  A fan got hit in the face and us suing for injuries.   He made a rule for players to make eye contact with a fan and to toss it underhand.   Also never throw to the upper deck.  To the fans, if you want the possibility of a ball tossed to you buy a lower deck seat.