Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 72409 times)

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
BPro on Rendon as a 3B

Anthony Rendon (Nationals)
The case for: Even though he has yet to play a professional game, Rendon’s combination of tools and polish make him the face of the position. At the plate, the native Texan (another plus attribute) is able to generate tremendous bat speed; his hands and hips work at near elite levels, and his raw strength is above average. Rendon’s hit tool projects to be plus-plus (70 grade)—which should allow him to become a perennial .300 hitter—with the overall approach to work counts, set up favorable hitting counts, and reach base at a high clip. His power potential ranges from average to plus, with a swing that some believe is better suited for gap-to-gap power, rather than a swing with the necessary loft and backspin to produce 25-plus homers per season without selling out his approach.

In the field, Rendon projects as an above-average defender at third, with both the leather and arm grading out as plus tools, and the instincts necessary to bring the physical package together. Speed isn’t a part of Rendon’s game, but his feet aren’t heavy, and he shows good first-step quickness and reactions. Despite not being a physical force, Rendon has all the attributes necessary to become an All-Star talent at the hot corner, with the ability to hit for average, reach base, hit for some power, and play above-average defense. It remains to be seen if Rendon ends up at third base for the Nationals, but that’s a byproduct of organizational depth, not a developmental deficiency in Rendon’s skill set.

The case against: The injury elephant. If you assume health, Rendon was arguably the top player available in the 2011 draft, a polished dual threat on the fast track to the majors. But the medicals obviously scared some teams off, and the health component [read: the ability to stay on the field] will be a concern until it isn’t. That’s as reductive as you can get, but it’s really that simple. A healthy Rendon has the potential to be a well above-average major leaguer, but he’s not going to stay on the top of any tier if his body isn’t ready for the physical challenge. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Thanks, Brian.

I say move him to 1B.  Less injury risk there than at 2B and he's a good enough hitter that he'll be an asset there.  Plus, having a great fielding 1B is a nice thing to have, as we've seen.

One of the Nats beat writers brought up the possibility of moving Zim to 1B in the future.  I guess I'd be fine with that if his throwing motion is still causing problems down the road.

Either way, the Nats would have plus defenders across the infield.

Offline KingHarper

We could move Zimm to SS in the future. Wasn't that his original position?

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
We could move Zimm to SS in the future. Wasn't that his original position?

I would put the odds of Zimmerman moving to SS at less than 1%. If he moves off of 3B, it'll be because of the throwing issues which won't get any better at SS. Zimmerman is a corner infielder

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
If Rendon moves to first, doesn't that B-Pro piece sound a bit like Casey Kotchman's reviews when he was a top 10 prospect?  Very good defense, questionable power, high average?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Move him to 2B then?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Well if he ends up like Kotchman, he's a bust (assuming this year's excellence is not the norm going foward).  I guess it is possible he's a bust. 

But a high average, moderate power, great fielding 1B would be a nice thing to have.  Would be nicer at 2B, but if he can't hack it on defense or has injury concerns, moving him to 1B is fine with me.  Or a trade would always work, too.

Offline DPMOmaha

Quote from: Mark Zuckerman
#Nats 3rd rd pick Matt Purke in the clubhouse postgame with Mike Rizzo and Mark Lerner.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
OMGGGGGGGGG!

Offline DPMOmaha

OMGGGGGGGGG!
and more...
Quote from: Amanda Comak
#Nats third-round pick Matt Purke enjoyed tonight's game with GM Mike Rizzo from the owners seats. Was in the clubhouse postgame as well.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
Yes yes yes yes yes sign sign sign.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Sign him now, let him sit out the rest of the year or get surgery tomorrow and get him ready to start in Potomac in 2012!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Was just coming to post this, but it's such good news, it should be posted twice

acomak Amanda Comak
#Nats third-round pick Matt Purke enjoyed tonight's game with GM Mike Rizzo from the owners seats. Was in the clubhouse postgame as well.

Sign him!

Offline kirubel94

Dont know if it means anything , but great move by rizzo and company.

Offline daggerrrrrr

BA showing that we signed 6th round pick RHP Taylor Hill  from Vanderbilt

Offline kirubel94

BA showing that we signed 6th round pick RHP Taylor Hill  from Vanderbilt
Thats great, the guy did great in the collage WS.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I wouldn't mind eventually moving Ryan Zimmerman to 1B if Rendon kicks ass in the minors at 3B.

I really don't want to move Danny from 2B.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Was just coming to post this, but it's such good news, it should be posted twice

acomak Amanda Comak

Sign him!

They all might be clowns when it comes to the big league team, but they know how to sign prospects :clap:

Offline houston-nat

Unless the throwing continues to be a long-term problem, RZ's defense at third is probably superior to Rendon's.
That said, if RZ's got more power, he does profile offensively as more of a 1B than Rendon does, perhaps.
We can worry about all this in a year's time.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
They all might be clowns when it comes to the big league team, but they know how to sign prospects :clap:

That's up there with your Obozo might be a crappy president domestically but he did really good with an assassination comment.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I wouldn't mind eventually moving Ryan Zimmerman to 1B if Rendon kicks ass in the minors at 3B.

I really don't want to move Danny from 2B.

I do if it means moving him to SS.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Nice news about Purke.  Hope we get him signed!

Online blue911

Nice news about Purke.  Hope we get him signed!

Then do we fire Rizzo?

Offline GMUTrkstar

acomak Amanda Comak

Sign him!

That's gr8 news I took him not playing in the Cape as us having no shot at signing him but maybe Purke just needed to rest his shoulder this whole summer b4 becoming a pro or playing college ball next year. If we sign Rendon, Meyer, Goodwin and Purke I think we have a top 10 farm system.

Offline daggerrrrrr

That's gr8 news I took him not playing in the Cape as us having no shot at signing him but maybe Purke just needed to rest his shoulder this whole summer b4 becoming a pro or playing college ball next year. If we sign Rendon, Meyer, Goodwin and Purke I think we have a top 10 farm system.
Forget top 10. How about top 5 farm system.