Author Topic: Ozzie out as Marlins skipper  (Read 1870 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Ozzie out as Marlins skipper
« Reply #25: October 23, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
Shocking.

:|
NOT!

I dont think Riggleman will work for an ownership where you dont know where you stand year to year.  hmmm Maybe Tracy?  Acta may be ok.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: October 23, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
does anyone live near Miami?  Can you march around with a "Hire Acta" sign?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #27: October 24, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »
Does Ozzie manage again? He's young, and as much as it has been used as ammunition against him at times as being meaningless as an indicator of his skills, he does have that 2006 ring.

I am sure he gets another job in the next decade. But damn, any team taking him on would be insane. He is poison to a clubhouse. I'm just not sure which was more detrimental this year, him or Valentine. I could only dream of a club with Valentine as manager and Guillen as bench coach. Fireworks.

Such an arrogant prick, Guillen that is, and a horrible manager to boot. I can't believe he lasted an entire season under Loria. About the next thing to managing with old lady Schott as the owner.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #28: October 24, 2012, 01:27:17 AM »
I grew up in Chicago and have followed the White Sox since childhood. Ozzie Guillen managed the team to their first championship since 1917, and quite likely the only championship they'll win during my lifetime (I'm 26). I don't know how to feel about this.

Ozzie was a good situational hire in 2004. He replaced Jerry Manuel, whom White Sox fans derisively nicknamed "Gandhi" for his cerebral, aloof approach to the game. Jerry Manuel was a smart guy, but he showed no passion. He didn't really argue with umpires, he didn't get into any of the team's rivalries, he didn't show much emotion at all. The team underperformed.

Ozzie was initially seen as the cure for the Manuel woes. He was the exact opposite of Manuel: he cursed, showed emotion constantly, embraced all of the team's rivalries, and created some of his own (Ozzie Guillen and Buck Showalter hate each other, and when the White Sox and Rangers played in the mid 2000's this was obvious). He was amusing for a while.

At some point, though, he grew arrogant, and the drama he caused was no longer cute. He drove several very talented players - Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera chief among them - out of town because he didn't get along with them, same way Valentine drove Youkilis out of Boston this year. And the guy really can't manage a bullpen.

It seems in Miami he had a chance at a fresh start, but didn't let go of his bad habits. Maybe some unemployment will humble him.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #29: October 24, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
Marlins Organization is awful.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #30: October 24, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »
Nice post, Count.

Online imref

« Reply #31: October 24, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »
Does Ozzie manage again? He's young, and as much as it has been used as ammunition against him at times as being meaningless as an indicator of his skills, he does have that 2006 ring.

I am sure he gets another job in the next decade. But damn, any team taking him on would be insane. He is poison to a clubhouse. I'm just not sure which was more detrimental this year, him or Valentine. I could only dream of a club with Valentine as manager and Guillen as bench coach. Fireworks.

Such an arrogant prick, Guillen that is, and a horrible manager to boot. I can't believe he lasted an entire season under Loria. About the next thing to managing with old lady Schott as the owner.

maybe he becomes Loria's Billy Martin and is rehired mid-season next year?

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #32: October 24, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
So, anyone wonder why I'm a Nats fan?  :lmao:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #33: October 24, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
So, anyone wonder why I'm a Nats fan?  :lmao:

Nope.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #34: October 24, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
does anyone live near Miami?  Can you march around with a "Hire Acta" sign?

I'll be there for Thanksgiving. If they haven't hired anyone yet, fully expect me in front their stadium with a Hire Acta sign. Pics to come.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #35: October 25, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
maybe he becomes Loria's Billy Martin and is rehired mid-season next year?

I don't know...there was only on Von Steingrabber (thank heavens), and Loria seems less competent even than The Boss.

Maybe Ozie goes to ESPN as their between-innings studio guy...the next John Kruk or David Wells. Unfortunately, Wells is a bright guy with humor. Ozzie is not.

Loria?  Hmm...I bet if MLB wasn't a gentlemens' club, they would bounce Loria. Destroyed the Exos, was given the Marlins, got a fancy new stadium (garish, but new), and the team regressed. I wonder if Dade County can sue MLB for fraud: claimed the Marlins were a baseball team when they are not? It will be ugly when MLB decides to move the Marlins to Montreal!

Online imref

« Reply #36: October 25, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
Reports are that Mike Redmond is the front-runner.  I wonder if Jeff Conine at least gets an interview.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: October 25, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
I think I had Redmond on some fantasy teams.  Backup catcher in the middle of the last decade?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #38: October 25, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
I think I had Redmond on some fantasy teams.  Backup catcher in the middle of the last decade?

Played for the Marlins from 1998-2004, including their 2003 WS winner - later Twins and Indians: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/redmomi01.shtml

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: October 25, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
I remember him from the Twins.  I think maybe he and Matt LeCroy had a position battle as Mauer's backup.