Poll

Where does Zach Walters play in 2014?

Makes thes MLB club as the utility infielder.
5 (21.7%)
Sent to AAA and plays SHORTSTOP everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays SECOND everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays THIRD everyday
2 (8.7%)
Traded
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Zach "Salty" Walters (UT)  (Read 11693 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm starting this very basic because we need a Walters thread. Please add video and scouting in replies.

BR page: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=walter001zac

Only playing SS this year in Syracuse, but has played 3d and 2d in prior years at Potomac and in the Arizona system.

Acquired in the Jason Marquis deal in 2011. 

From BA trade central - 7/30/11
Zach Walters, ss/3b
Born: Sept. 5, 1989 in Cheyenne, Wyo.
Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 195. Bats: B. Throws: R.
School: San Diego.
Career Transactions: Selected by Diamondbacks in ninth round of 2010 draft; signed June 13, 2010.

Club (League) Class      AVG  G   AB   R    H  2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB OBP SLG
South Bend (MWL) LoA .302 97 361 69 109 27 6    9    56 42 96 12 .377 .485

Walters excelled in the short-season Northwest League after signing in 2010, helping to erase the sting of a poor junior year at San Diego. He does nothing flashy, but he’s having a strong full-season debut as a 21-year-old in the Midwest League. Walters ranks among the league leaders for hits (109, second), extra-base hits (42, fourth) and runs (69, second). The switch-hitter has hit righthanders hard this season, batting .313/.392/.549 with all nine of his homers in 246 at-bats from the left side, though evaluators like his swing from both sides and project him to hit for a solid average. His other tools project to be fringe-average, at best, at the major league level. Walters’ baserunning instincts trump his raw speed, and he might not have the range or arm strength to handle shortstop on a regular bases. However, if he can stay up the middle at second base, then his line-drive, gap power won’t be an issue. He has all the hallmarks of a future utility player.

Currently hitting at Syracuse .249 / .283 / .521, with 16 HR.  On a bit of a tear lately, which others can provide.

Prospect rankings:
2012 WNFF - #18
2012 Fangraphs (Hulet) - #10
2012 BA - Bumped from #10 by acquisition of AJ Cole (Per Luke Erickson at Nat's prospects - http://nationalsprospects.com/2013/03/baseball-americas-revised-nats-top-10/)

From Marc Hulet's write up:
His floor is that of an offensive-minded utility player but he could develop into an everyday second baseman at the big league level. Walters currently plays shortstop in the minors and makes plays on everything hit to him, but there are doubts over his ability to stick at the position on a long-term basis.

A contact I spoke with suggested that Walters was an underrated prospect as a switch-hitter who flashes four or five tools, although he doesn’t show much in-game power. “He’s learned a ton and will continue to get better,” the contact said. The hitter has an overly-aggressive approach at the plate, walking just 24 times in 126 games last year, and will need to curb that if he’s going to realize his full potential.
I guess this year that in-game power thingis starting to correct itself.  The "overly aggressive approach" seems to be a Nats system issue, but maybe that is what attracted them to him in the first place.

This spring, there was a nice write up in Nationals Journal complementing his D and talking about stance adjustments:
Walters has given himself a chance to become a major leaguer in the future with his athletic defense alone. He’s had a lot of Grapefruit League playing time, and his range has been one of the more eye-catching things from spring training.

Walters’s defense is ahead of his offense, but he has shown promising signs with the bat. Last year, between Potomac, Harrisburg and Syracuse, Walters hit .266/.302/.418 in his age 22 season. He showed glimpses of power, bashing 12 home runs in total and slugging .518 over his 172 plate appearances at Class AA Harrisburg.

There is reason to believe Walters can improve. Last spring, Walters broke the hamate bone in his hand. He returned quickly, and the injury affected him at the plate. He’s 100 percent healthy now. Both Johnson and hitting coach Rick Eckstein are working with Walters on changing his stance this spring.

“He’s been working out of this spread stance,” Johnson said. “I’d like to see him stand a little taller and use his strength to drive the ball. He’s very young. He knows about roping steers and all that. He needs to corral his ability, but he’s got a really good upside.”

Awards: [to add]

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Follow the Prospects: Zach Walters (UT)
« Reply #1: June 21, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
He made #4 on the BA Hot Sheet today.

I tend to agree. The pop is nice but unless he changes his approach he appears destined to be another Espinosa.

No. 4 Zach Walters, ss, Nationals
Team: Triple-A Syracuse (International)
Why He’s Here: .552/.594/1.172 (16-for-29), 4 HR, 6 2B, 10 RBIs, 7 R, 1 BB, 7 SO

The Scoop: Pop quiz—Who leads all Triple-A shortstops in extra-base hits? Why, it’s the Nationals’ Zach Walters, who has smacked 18 doubles, two triples and 16 homers for Syracuse and also laps the field in isolated power (.272). Of course, Walters’ power has come at a cost this season, with strikeouts in 24 percent of plate appearances and walks in just three percent. He need only watch rehabbing Chiefs teammate Danny Espinosa, a fellow switch-hitting middle infielder, to see the potential peril in such a hitting approach.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: June 21, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Yeah, would hate to see him end up as a 3 WAR player in his prime.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: June 21, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
dude, Espinosa is a bum. just come to terms with it.  :smh:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: June 21, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
Fact >>> Opinion

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #5: June 21, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »
Yeah, would hate to see him end up as a 3 WAR player in his prime.

:clap:

I think he sounds more like Desmond honestly. They're both switch hitters but at least Espinosa knew how to draw a walk. Walters' offensive value seems entirely based on his power, just like Desmond's.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #6: June 21, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
:clap:

I think he sounds more like Desmond honestly. They're both switch hitters but at least Espinosa knew how to draw a walk. Walters' offensive value seems entirely based on his power, just like Desmond's.
Desmond's offensive value isn't just from power.  He hits for average too which helps him keep his OBP respectable.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #7: June 22, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »
Desmond's offensive value isn't just from power.  He hits for average too which helps him keep his OBP respectable.

True, and he's sorta similar to Morse in that sense. That said, a .317 OBP isn't very respectable, that's below average I believe.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: June 22, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »
2 HRs tonight, 18 on the year, .469/7HRs in his last 12 games.  Might he deserve a shot in LF until Harper returns?

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #9: June 23, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »
2 HRs tonight, 18 on the year, .469/7HRs in his last 12 games.  Might he deserve a shot in LF until Harper returns?

I don't think it'll happen, though with those numbers I could not be opposed. I like Moore, Kobernus, and Brown still, and want to see them get their chance as major leaugers. Honestly his best shot might be with another organization. I love to see young guys get a shot, but our lineup looks pretty crowded. Even our bench spots look crowded.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #10: June 23, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »
Kid has some serious pop for a middle infielder.  Can he play second?

Is there an opening at AAA?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: June 23, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
He's playing SS but has played 2d before. 

What I'd like to see is for us to use the 24th and 25th spots on the roster as more rotational depending on the need of the MLB roster.  I'd like to see 3 relievers, a couple of starters, and 3 position players swing in and out of the 25 man roster based whether we need an extra arm in the pen, a spot start, or bench depth due to nagging injuries.  I'm not sure we are there yet, but Walters would be one the guys in that role, along with Lombo, Kobernus, Marrero, Moore, Karns, etc,,, 

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #12: July 24, 2013, 12:11:07 AM »
So, what's with Walters? He hits for average with low power his entire minor league career and then suddenly transforms into a low average power hitter? What happened?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #13: July 24, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »
Very odd to say the least. He has a decent shot at hitting 30 homers which for a switch hitting middle infielder is great. A shame the rest of his game sucks.

Offline sph274

« Reply #14: July 24, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Good to have spare utility guys in AAA maybe he takes lombos role if lombo doesn't start hitting(looking into september and next year)?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #15: July 26, 2013, 01:50:30 AM »
Good to have spare utility guys in AAA maybe he takes lombos role if lombo doesn't start hitting(looking into september and next year)?

Lombo to take half or too-thirds of Rendon's role. Let Rendon learn the profesional game and major league pitching with the Nats but without the weight of carrying the whole tea...as Harper had to do last season. Harper is unique. And Lombo has an extra "tool": he does things to win.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #16: July 26, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
Walters is on a ridiculous run. 4/4 with a HR, Double, 2 Singles, 2 RBIs, 2 Runs tonight.

He now has 24 HRs on the season and is leading the AAA International League in Extra Base hits.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #17: July 26, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
Walters is on a ridiculous run. 4/4 with a HR, Double, 2 Singles, 2 RBIs, 2 Runs tonight.

He now has 24 HRs on the season and is leading the AAA International League in Extra Base hits.

He played 3rd tonight.  Callup looming?

Online imref

« Reply #18: July 26, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
He's a righty, where does he play?  We've already got Lombo and tracy as IF reserves.  I'd assume they want to keep Tracy because he's LH.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #19: July 26, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
He's a righty, where does he play?  We've already got Lombo and tracy as IF reserves.  I'd assume they want to keep Tracy because he's LH.

I thought he was a switch hitter. Pretty sure actually.

Online imref

« Reply #20: July 26, 2013, 10:54:48 PM »
I thought he was a switch hitter. Pretty sure actually.

you are correct, SH.  Hmmm......

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #21: July 26, 2013, 11:11:14 PM »
I would drop Tracy and bring up Walters with directions to swing for the fences. Leaves us with a lack of lefty bench help but we need to get young gets major league ABs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: July 26, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
Walters can hit left handed.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #23: July 27, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »
Low average, low walk rate, high K rate, and a sudden jump in power. Hmmmm ... sounds suspicious?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #24: August 11, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
From Twitter:

"I hate hipsters. With their long hair, vegan diet, and saw dust beds. Wait. Hamsters... I hate hamsters."

:lmao: