Author Topic: Fan falls on, breaks neck of tourist at Yankee Stadium  (Read 1589 times)

NY baseball fans are soooo "classy."  :roll:

jerks.

Offline saltydad

While as a Yankees fan I totally disagree, NOTLD, Yankee Stadium upper deck is really steep. Add this particular ahole's drunkenness (which I've seen in DC, Philly, NY, etc.) and you have a recipe for disaster.

While as a Yankees fan I totally disagree, NOTLD, Yankee Stadium upper deck is really steep. Add this particular ahole's drunkenness (which I've seen in DC, Philly, NY, etc.) and you have a recipe for disaster.

OMG, you nearly break a guys neck and you don't even apologize, show any concern, or help out in anyway but instead hook your arms under the pits of your buddy drunk and drag them away before you have to take responsibility for your actions?  Chalk another one up in the "douchebag" category for NY baseball fans.  Incredible, absolutely incredible and disgraceful.  Total disregard for the safety and well being of a fellow human being.  Whats even worse this couple were out of towners looking to catch a game.  I'm sure the NY fanbase left a "lasting impression."

I'm going to a Yanks game in a two weeks time on a trip to NY.  Its bad enough I probably can't wear my Curly W hat into the stadium without having a bunch of quick-jabbering, Soprano-wannabes on my case but now I have to beware of flying drunks who want to snap my neck.

natsfan1a

There's a story in today's Post on Yankee fans at Shea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/16/AR2007071601897.html

Salty, I didn't know you were a Yankee fan when I posted the other link. I definitely wouldn't lump you with the obnoxious ones, cause I know that you aren't. :) 

I agree with you that drunk and obnoxious fans can be found at other stadiums, too, even (gasp) at RFK on occasion.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I think a few are overreacting, there are obnoxious drunkards in every ballpark, and I do mean every ballpark. When a person has had too much to drink, their shame levels go way down. Drunks fall over people all the time, they get up or are helped up, but rarely, do they or the people around then apologize for anything. Drunks are drunks, they don't see life the same way everyone else does, and to expect them to to act the way we would, is being way too expectant of them. They're drunks, they don't apologize for being drunk, so why should anyone expect them to act or be apologetic when they fall over someone. It happens all the time, even at RFK, the only difference being no one has had their neck broken there yet.

I would be a lot more concerned to find out if anyone is going to help out with the guy with the broken neck's medical bills. And please don't say the drunk is responsible, because long before he fell, too many thing had to happen to allow him to get to his drunken state to begin with.

I keep waiting to hear that the Yankees are going to help him and his family out with his bills, but nope, not a word. Even though that would be the right thing to do, I'd be very surprised to read about it happening. They may use the old "It says on our tickets that we aren't responsible for accidents" but if you think about it, they are, because they allowed the guy to get drunk in the first place.

What should happen is the Yankees should alter their policy as to how much beer they can sell to one person or they could also stop selling beer to people in sections where the stairs are so steep that one too many could be cause for a fall or misstep. Yes, drunks will still find a way around the rules, but the rules would still reduce the number of drunks at ballgames.

Anyway, the short of it is, the last person I'm gonna blame for the guy breaking the guy's neck is the drunk, because too many things were allowed to happen before he got to the point of being drunk enough to fall in the first place. It's should be shame on the Yankees, as well as any team for allowing anyone to be able to get drunk at any of their home games.

Beer and baseball are will always be part of ballpark life, but there's nothing good (or pretty) about drunks at ballgames, or anyplace for that matter.

I think a few are overreacting, there are obnoxious drunkards in every ballpark, and I do mean every ballpark. When a person has had too much to drink, their shame levels go way down. Drunks fall over people all the time, they get up or are helped up, but rarely, do they or the people around then apologize for anything. Drunks are drunks, they don't see life the same way everyone else does, and to expect them to to act the way we would, is being way too expectant of them. They're drunks, they don't apologize for being drunk, so why should anyone expect them to act or be apologetic when they fall over someone. It happens all the time, even at RFK, the only difference being no one has had their neck broken there yet.

I would be a lot more concerned to find out if anyone is going to help out with the guy with the broken neck's medical bills. And please don't say the drunk is responsible, because long before he fell, too many thing had to happen to allow him to get to his drunken state to begin with.

I keep waiting to hear that the Yankees are going to help him and his family out with his bills, but nope, not a word. Even though that would be the right thing to do, I'd be very surprised to read about it happening. They may use the old "It says on our tickets that we aren't responsible for accidents" but if you think about it, they are, because they allowed the guy to get drunk in the first place.

What should happen is the Yankees should alter their policy as to how much beer they can sell to one person or they could also stop selling beer to people in sections where the stairs are so steep that one too many could be cause for a fall or misstep. Yes, drunks will still find a way around the rules, but the rules would still reduce the number of drunks at ballgames.

Anyway, the short of it is, the last person I'm gonna blame for the guy breaking the guy's neck is the drunk, because too many things were allowed to happen before he got to the point of being drunk enough to fall in the first place. It's should be shame on the Yankees, as well as any team for allowing anyone to be able to get drunk at any of their home games.

Beer and baseball are will always be part of ballpark life, but there's nothing good (or pretty) about drunks at ballgames, or anyplace for that matter.

So by that logic are you saying that a drunk driver who T-Bones me and almost causes me to lose my ablility to walk, IS NOT responsible for the accident?  And the mere fact that the "drunk" got drunk and is a "drunk" completely voids him/her of the responsibility of their actions when in that state?  I mean, that person had to "get drunk".  I myself have never just got drunk off the air.

Maybe I am reading your statement wrong, I've read it three times over, but it sounds like you are saying that this drunk should get off scott free with no penalty to his actions and if that is so, I absolutely have to disagree with you there.

*And I am not saying stop selling beer, drunks aren't going to happen everywhere, etc.  I am just shocked at the complete lack of concern, care, and decency about a fellow human being.  There is a huge difference between being drunk and bumping into someone causing them to lose their foot long and nearly breaking someone's neck.  It sounds like to me these particular Yanks fans knew they were in the crap and high tailed it and ran so they would not have to face the consequences of their actions.  Drunk or not, you need to answer for your actions.  It certainly wasn't the victims choice to come to Yank stadium and get his neck screwed up.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
So by that logic are you saying that a drunk driver who T-Bones me and almost causes me to lose my ablility to walk, IS NOT responsible for the accident?  And the mere fact that the "drunk" got drunk and is a "drunk" completely voids him/her of the responsibility of their actions when in that state?  I mean, that person had to "get drunk".  I myself have never just got drunk off the air.

Maybe I am reading your statement wrong, I've read it three times over, but it sounds like you are saying that this drunk should get off scott free with no penalty to his actions and if that is so, I absolutely have to disagree with you there.

I'm saying he's not the only one responsible. A drunk driver, like a drunk fan, still has to have things happen before he gets to the point of being drunk. There are other people responsible for his condition. If he came from a bar, the bartender or the person who served him is also responsible and a result the bar's owner who hired the person who served up the drinks. If he came from a private party, the host is also responsible. In this case he was at a game, so whoever sold him the (too many) drinks, and whoever hired the person who sold him the drinks, is responsible.

I'm saying drunks should never happen, there's no excuse for being drunk in public, because they should never be allowed to get to the point where they are drunk. If anyone is going to get drunk, they should do it at home. At least at home there's a better chance that the only person that gets hurt is the drunk themselves.

I'm saying he's not the only one responsible. A drunk driver, like a drunk fan, still has to have things happen before he gets to the point of being drunk. There are other people responsible for his condition. If he came from a bar, the bartender or the person who served him is also responsible and a result the bar's owner who hired the person who served up the drinks. If he came from a private party, the host is also responsible. In this case he was at a game, so whoever sold him the (too many) drinks, and whoever hired the person who sold him the drinks, is responsible.

I'm saying drunks should never happen, there's no excuse for being drunk in public, because they should never be allowed to get to the point where they are drunk. If anyone is going to get drunk, they should do it at home. At least at home there's a better chance that the only person that gets hurt is the drunk themselves.

This has been the age old debate on whether or not the bartender or establishment should be held responsible.  Its a tough question because you have to start dealing with trying to figure out everyone's personal alcohol tolerance, trying to figure out how many someone has actually had, if someone is buying for someone who is more sloshed, etc.  If you have ever worked at a bar or as a bartender, you know what I'm talking about.

If you could invent a sure fire way of determining all this you could be a millionare overnight.  But its not like the establishment is holding a gun to your head saying "BUY, BUY, BUY".  That is your own choice to buy three or four and it was your choice to become as disoriented as you can get when intoxicated.

But in this case, I am thinking your looking a little too deep.  I mean if I was going somewhere, nearly broke someone's neck and walked off it would be called a "hit and run" and I would be in violation of the law.  I see no reason why this particular drunk should get a pass.

Offline NatsAddict

I don't hold the bartender/host any more responsible for a drunk than I blame McDonalds for somebody's obesity.  What about the sales of cases of beer?  Is the grocer responsible for the dreck that downs a dozen and then gets behind the wheel?  Or, is that guy responsible for himself - G*d forbid!

These are just lame excuses used by those that shirk responsibility for their own actions, and used by card carrying member of the Trial Lawyers Association trying to find a bigger pocket for their 40%.  It's BS.

Offline saltydad

OMG, you nearly break a guys neck and you don't even apologize, show any concern, or help out in anyway but instead hook your arms under the pits of your buddy drunk and drag them away before you have to take responsibility for your actions?  Chalk another one up in the "douchebag" category for NY baseball fans.  Incredible, absolutely incredible and disgraceful.  Total disregard for the safety and well being of a fellow human being.  Whats even worse this couple were out of towners looking to catch a game.  I'm sure the NY fanbase left a "lasting impression."

I'm going to a Yanks game in a two weeks time on a trip to NY.  Its bad enough I probably can't wear my Curly W hat into the stadium without having a bunch of quick-jabbering, Soprano-wannabes on my case but now I have to beware of flying drunks who want to snap my neck.

(Image removed from quote.)

My point is that the problem is not with NY fans, but with the drunk, his (probably) drunken friends, whoever served him enough beer (maybe he brought in some booze on his own?) to become drunk. I'd bet my last dollar that other NY fans were immediately there offering their assistance to the injured fan.
I'm a rabid Redskins fan, and even though I lived in NY for decades I still went to Giants Stadium when we played the Giants wearing my Redskins cap, shirt, jacket, etc. and loudly cheered for my team. Never had a problem, except for some snide comments. But I also have lived in Philly, and would I go like that to a Skins-Eagles game at the Vet? No way Charlie, I'd have been killed (and I loved Philadelphia). I may not look it but I'm not stupid! ;)