Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Chris Marrero, 1B  (Read 27324 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Follow the Prospects: Chris Marrero, 1B
« Reply #150: August 19, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
Is he an all-fields, oppo boppo type or a pull power type.  I thought someone said he was more the oppo boppo type. how friendly is Syracuse to opposite field power?

IIRC, either in this thread or the "hope for marrero" thread, I posted a link to either Hardball Times or maybe Fangraphs on opposite field power being relatively late to develop and pretty consistently underestimated by prospect raters.  one of the examples was AG, but there were several more.  I wonder I CM fits that model.

He's a lot like Zimmerman ala 2005. Still hasn't filled out and his power is to right-center.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #151: August 19, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »
SF, you must of seen a lot of Syracuse games this year.... How else can you be so confident in his defense. Unless you're basing your evaluation on a few innings in ST. On second thought, that's exactly how you'd evaluate one of your boys.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #152: August 19, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
His Error total, Fielding percentage, and RF/G are all up from last year.

2010: 129 games, 18 errors, .984 Field pct, 8.75 RF/G
2011: 117 games, 5 errors, .995 Field pct, 9.35 RF/G

By all accounts he has improved greatly in this area. Probably could handle 1B as good as Morse.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #153: August 19, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
I voted for him above Goodwin and Hood in the prospect rating thread.  I think he's a good bet to be a solid MLB regular - probably on about the Adam LaRoche level.  Those other two guys could be better but could flame out, too.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #154: August 19, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
Marrero's walk-rate increase has been very impressive. He looks like a professional hitter, And the high BA is also nice.

The only thing that could stand to improve is more HRs. As far as I'm concerned his defense is no longer a liability either. This guy looks like a Big League player. Not sure why he isn't getting much attention.

the guy you hate - davey johnson - has given him much attention.  he has taken countless opportunities to speak highly of marrero and the plan for him going forward.  he'll be up in a couple weeks.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #155: August 19, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
SF, you must of seen a lot of Syracuse games this year.... How else can you be so confident in his defense. Unless you're basing your evaluation on a few innings in ST. On second thought, that's exactly how you'd evaluate one of your boys.

no offense, but can't the same be said about norris?  i know you have personally seen him a few times this year up close and personal and have talked with some scouts who watch him, but has his defense improved that much?  sounds like the past balls are still an issue, no?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #156: August 19, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »
no offense, but can't the same be said about norris?  i know you have personally seen him a few times this year up close and personal and have talked with some scouts who watch him, but has his defense improved that much?  sounds like the past balls are still an issue, no?

He hasn't had a passed ball in quite a while, I think.

I've seen him catch seven games this year, as well as talk with scouts like you said... the improvement he's shown from the beginning of the year to the end has been pretty big.

I have no doubts Marrero has improved at 1B... I wasn't questioning that. I was questioning how SF could know that was the case without ever seeing him play.

I'm really quite hopeful that the AGon comparisons pan out! :)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #157: August 19, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
He hasn't had a passed ball in quite a while, I think.

I've seen him catch seven games this year, as well as talk with scouts like you said... the improvement he's shown from the beginning of the year to the end has been pretty big.

I have no doubts Marrero has improved at 1B... I wasn't questioning that. I was questioning how SF could know that was the case without ever seeing him play.

I'm really quite hopeful that the AGon comparisons pan out! :)

fair enough

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #158: August 19, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
Is he any worse than Morse?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #159: August 19, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
Is he any worse than Morse?

How do you mean that? Morse has been more than adequate at first since taking over. I'm anxious to see Marrero in our lineup but at the same time, I'm not too excited about seeing Morse get moved to LF.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #160: August 19, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »
right on terpfan.  morse has been an above average 1B.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #161: August 19, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
the guy you hate - davey johnson - has given him much attention.  he has taken countless opportunities to speak highly of marrero and the plan for him going forward.  he'll be up in a couple weeks.

really looking forward to it, we saw him a bunch of times at Potomac and he always came across as a pretty nice guy.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #162: August 19, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
How do you mean that? Morse has been more than adequate at first since taking over. I'm anxious to see Marrero in our lineup but at the same time, I'm not too excited about seeing Morse get moved to LF.

Adequate.  That's how I describe Morse at first. He's been adequate. Can Marrero be adequate at first? Morse in LF and Marrero hitting above. 230 at first would improve this team.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #163: August 19, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Adequate.  That's how I describe Morse at first. He's been adequate. Can Marrero be adequate at first? Morse in LF and Marrero hitting above. 230 at first would improve this team.

I'd say he's been more than adequate. He makes the plays you expect him to make plus he makes some surprising plays do to his athleticism which plays well at first, but not so well in LF. I'm all for giving Marrero a shot at the end of the month and in the spring, but I think Morse deserves the opportunity to keep the job. I'd love to see Marrero play quality defense at first plus tear the cover off the ball forcing the issue.
It might work out good I reckon, Morse has shown he can play well at first, but if he struggles at the plate while playing left, then what? We still have the issue of LaRoche to hash out as well.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #164: August 19, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
I'd say he's been more than adequate. He makes the plays you expect him to make plus he makes some surprising plays do to his athleticism which plays well at first, but not so well in LF. I'm all for giving Marrero a shot at the end of the month and in the spring, but I think Morse deserves the opportunity to keep the job. I'd love to see Marrero play quality defense at first plus tear the cover off the ball forcing the issue.
It might work out good I reckon, Morse has shown he can play well at first, but if he struggles at the plate while playing left, then what? We still have the issue of LaRoche to hash out as well.

The stats (DWAR & UZR) disagree and say he's adequate.  I agree with them. I've never seen him make a play at first and thoughts wow

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #165: August 19, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
The stats (DWAR & UZR) disagree and say he's adequate.  I agree with them. I've never seen him make a play at first and thoughts wow

Never said he was wowing people, just making some surprising plays due to athleticism. I've seen him make some pretty nice plays at first, nothing web gem like necessarily, but good plays nonetheless and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment, but whatever.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #166: June 05, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Just saw a Tweet from Stephen Souza welcoming Marrero to Hagerstown.  What?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #167: June 05, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
Just saw a Tweet from Stephen Souza welcoming Marrero to Hagerstown.  What?

Maybe just needs a place to workout.

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #168: June 05, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
Wow he is making a rehab start tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!, He had  a torn hamstring and was supposed to come back after the All-star break, i guess he is a fast healer.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #169: June 05, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
Just in time. LaRoche has come back down to Earth

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #170: June 05, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
Maybe LaRoche is moved at the deadline, but that's only if they think Werth is coming back

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #171: June 05, 2012, 11:03:57 PM »
Went 0-1 with a BB and was PH for tonight.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #172: June 06, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
Maybe LaRoche is moved at the deadline, but that's only if they think Werth is coming back

Why would they do that? Everyone goes through slumps...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #173: June 06, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »
Marrero isn't a full time major leaguer anyways. He'll spend the rest of his Nationals career on the Syracuse shuttle.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #174: June 06, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
I'd give Tyler Moore the ABs over Marrero.