Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40150 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #150: February 11, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
http://mashable.com/2010/02/11/google-buzz-features/

Features that Google Buzz needs to add right now. 

I agree with this article almost completely.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #151: February 12, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »
Haha JMad

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #152: February 12, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
yeah I see. push me off into the corner, eh Chief?

hater.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #153: February 12, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
I hope that was a joke :|

Considering that half of the software/web thread was about Google products anyway, and Google has more than enough of a portfolio to merit a dedicated thread, I thought you would appreciate having a Google-focused thread without the random other stuff that goes in the generic threads.

Looks like no good deed goes unpunished :roll:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #154: February 12, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
I hope that was a joke :|

Considering that half of the software/web thread was about Google products anyway, and Google has more than enough of a portfolio to merit a dedicated thread, I thought you would appreciate having a Google-focused thread without the random other stuff that goes in the generic threads.

Looks like no good deed goes unpunished :roll:

stop being so sensitive.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #155: February 12, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
stop being so sensitive.

:rofl:

You're one to talk.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #156: February 12, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
What's the deal with Google Buzz?  Will people make the transition over from facebook?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #157: February 12, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »
Anyway, getting back to Google-related things:

The AP finally decided to stop being a bunch of whiners:

http://mashable.com/2010/02/09/ap-google-news/

After more than a month of proverbial radio silence, news stories by the Associated Press are back on Google News.

The AP and Google (Google) have been in talks to establish a new agreement that would allow Google to continue to aggregate and host AP content, but because the AP has adopted a hawkish stance with regard to controlling its content online, Google stopped posting new AP stories in anticipation of a fall-through in talks.

Today the Wall Street Journal’s Digits blog noticed that AP stories were again appearing on Google News. We have confirmed this as well.

When contacted for comment, Google released the following statement:

“We have a licensing agreement with the Associated Press that permits us to host its content on Google properties such as Google News. The licensing agreement is the subject of ongoing discussion so we won’t be commenting further at this time.”

The AP also responded, simply saying that it had nothing to add to Google’s statement.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #158: February 12, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
What's the deal with Google Buzz?  Will people make the transition over from facebook?

I don't think so.

Not immediately anyway. some people might, but most people are too heavily invested in Facebook to easily leave.  Plus it's tied to GMail, which most people on Facebook don't use.

Twitter though, could possibly be in some trouble in the semi-near future. Buzz is Twitter with more substance, and no 140-character limitation.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #159: February 12, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
I don't think so.

Not immediately anyway. some people might, but most people are too heavily invested in Facebook to easily leave.  Plus it's tied to GMail, which most people on Facebook don't use.

Twitter though, could possibly be in some trouble in the semi-near future. Buzz is Twitter with more substance, and no 140-character limitation.

given the amount of people who use gmail, I think there will be a natural migration over time especially is google comes up with a way to allow people to import their content from facebook when they set up buzz

Offline The Chief

« Reply #160: February 12, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »
Plus it's tied to GMail, which most people on Facebook don't use.

I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.  Gmail enjoys enormous popularity.  I'm sure that's why Google chose to introduce it through Gmail.  They're hoping to get a lot of Facebookers to convert.  It may very well work, but they're going to have to improve the product quickly.  The interwebs have made everyone ADD :lol:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #161: February 12, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »
I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.

facebook has 400m people.

gmail has a little under 200m.

I think.

plus not every person who uses GMail also uses Facebook.

I could easily be wrong though.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #162: February 12, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Gmail enjoys enormous popularity.  I'm sure that's why Google chose to introduce it through Gmail. 

oh yes, I know. I wasn't suggesting that Gmail wasn't popular. and the GMail install base is exactly the reason why Buzz was attached to it, instead of Google Reader.

but Facebook is a monster. i think people understate just how much of a monster Facebook is.  They own Social Media. absolutely own it right now.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #163: February 12, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »
I don't think so.

Not immediately anyway. some people might, but most people are too heavily invested in Facebook to easily leave.  Plus it's tied to GMail, which most people on Facebook don't use.

wait, that's what facebook is

Offline The Chief

« Reply #164: February 12, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
facebook has 400m people.  gmail has a little under 200m.  I think.  plus not every person who uses GMail also uses Facebook.  I could easily be wrong though.

I bet Facebook and Google each know exactly how many people use the other ;)  Total % overlap doesn't really matter.  Even if it's only 10%, that's still a ton of people, and if Google can put up a good product, word of mouth will do the rest.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #165: February 12, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
that said, I think that Buzz compares more with Twitter than with Facebook, right now.

that could change.

I like that Google's actively making adjustments even this early in the game. (beyond the privacy stuff, I mean).

Offline The Chief

« Reply #166: February 12, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
Google is very good at that.  That's the advantage of extremely long "beta" cycles :lol:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #167: February 12, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »
wait, that's what facebook is

not really.

Facebook is an updated "modern" version of what AOL used to be. without the dial up access and the annoying free disc in your mailbox.

Well, they will be when Facebook Email comes out.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #168: February 12, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
Facebook is an updated "modern" version of what AOL used to be. without the dial up access and the annoying free disc in your mailbox.

Definitely going to have to disagree with you there.  AOL was never close to being what Facebook is today.  Well, aside from the annoying part :P

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #169: February 12, 2010, 12:44:11 PM »
not really.

i havent looked at buzz at all, i see now you just think buzz compares more to twitter.

i dont see buzz taking away many people from facebook. facebook is entrenched in the 16-25 or so age group.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #170: February 12, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »
I remember when facebook still required a .edu address/was available only to student at certain schools- did anyone think it would overtake myspace at that point? The better product will probably win in the end, I doubt facebook acutally has that much brand loyality- it's just popular and easy.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #171: February 12, 2010, 12:45:46 PM »
Definitely going to have to disagree with you there.  AOL was never close to being what Facebook is today.  Well, aside from the annoying part :P

that's why I said "updated" and "modern".

it's like Facebook took AOL's, updated it, improved it vastly, and put it on the open Web.

why AOL didn't think of it, is beyond me.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #172: February 12, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »

i dont see buzz taking away many people from facebook. facebook is entrenched in the 16-25 or so age group.

I don't see it either.

and don't forget the Grandma/Grandpa age group either. they're all over Facebook.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #173: February 12, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
I suppose.  I just don't see the resemblance, other than possibly a very general similarity in concept.  I think "Facebook is a modern version of what Myspace used to be" would be a lot more accurate.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #174: February 12, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »
and don't forget the Grandma/Grandpa age group either. they're all over Facebook.
I'm not gonna lie, it's still wierd to see Grams post on my wall or comment on my status update...