Author Topic: Rank the Nats top prospects  (Read 8418 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Rank the Nats top prospects
« Reply #100: January 10, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
Well, I'm not changing my stance.

We need more hitters.

We need more talent, across the board.

To box yourself into pitchers only, is not a practice Rizzo should get into.

You take BPA, and you continue to take BPA.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #101: January 10, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Linty - not trying to change your stance.  I agree that we need more talent in all areas - pitching and position players.  You're definitely right about that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #102: January 10, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
The Nationals need position players like nobodies business.

Pitching can wait.
Four out of our top  5 prospects are position players, per BA - Harper, Norris, Espinosa, not Cole, and Ramos.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #103: January 10, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
My long shot call is that Solis is in the rotation by the end of the year.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #104: January 10, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »

+1

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #105: January 10, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »

I can see that happening. I give it 20%. I'd say 80% he's up by the end of 2012.

Offline RD

« Reply #106: January 10, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
While it's possible Solis moves that fast, I don't know if I'd agree that it happens.

We still have Detwiler that may not get a spot out of spring training. If he's pitching well in AAA, then he's gonna get the call before Solis. Milone will be at AAA all year, and he too will get a call before Solis, and rightfully so. If Meyers gets back on track ...

I suppose we could move multiple guys at the deadline if they are pitching well, like Livan, Wang, and Marquis but I doubt we see all of them moved. I would imagine Zimmermann, Maya, and Lannan all remain, so we'd have to move all three to get Solis into the discussion, because we have guys at higher levels already that deserve a chance as well.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #107: January 11, 2011, 01:18:30 AM »
The Nationals need position players like nobodies business.

Pitching can wait.
No. Our major league position players and position player prospects are tolerable. Pitching is far more important, both for use with the team and for trade purposes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #108: January 11, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
There's not a guy in the system outside of Harper or Norris that'd I'd even consider a decent offensive prospect at this point.

Marrero is looking like he's headed to a life of being a bench bat.
Perez is young, but he's stuck with the 'can't walk your way off the island' approach.
Moore was old for his league... and who knows if one half year turns into anything more than that.
Burgess has massive holes in his swing, and a K rate near 30%. He's flashed decent power, but also looking like bench bat/platoon role.

I could go on and on.

(I don't consider Ramos, Espinosa or Desmond as prospects, as they've all seen MLB time)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #109: January 11, 2011, 08:19:29 AM »
Did Destin Hood evaporate?

Just from the DWL game, Perez is electrifying to watch.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #110: January 11, 2011, 10:11:59 AM »
Did Destin Hood evaporate?

Just from the DWL game, Perez is electrifying to watch.

Hood is just as toolsy and unpolished as an other Bowden-era prospect.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #111: January 11, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »
I'm just hoping for legit players- there are no 1Bs worthy of 6 or 23, but then I wouldn't draft for position anyway. I'd be fine going either route as long as it's BPA- though I might prefer one of each. I'd prefer college guys as well. As long as it's not a cheap, money saving pick- you lost Dunn, now you have three picks- use them.

I want college guys preferably- not specifically on ideology, but I think the Nats are close enough to competing that college guys would be preferable- they're surer bets and they'll be up here sooner, and I think the sooner that cavalry arrives, the better off the Nats are. Even in the long term.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #112: January 12, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
So, I don't know where this belongs, but this seems like as good a spot as any.  Rany Jazayerli is Royals blogger - he's much more of a homer and not quite the skilled writer that Joe Posnanski is, but still excellent.

He talks about the Greinke trade and notes that he would have preferred a package from the Nats.  He offers up this analysis - I won't go into all the reasons I wouldn't make a trade like this and am just posting the analysis of the Nats young guys:  http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2011/01/royals-today-1112011.html

--------------------
- The other thing to keep in mind is that the Rays could trade Garza to anyone they wanted; the Royals couldn’t do the same with Greinke. In particular, after looking at the players in a little more detail, I think that – if Derek Norris was the fourth guy in the deal, as I think he was – I’d take the Nationals’ package over what the Brewers gave us.

The Nationals reportedly offered Jordan Zimmermann, Drew Storen, and Danny Espinosa in addition to Norris. Zimmermann is a potential #2 starter – not in 2013, but right now. He had a sterling track record in the minors, had an excellent debut season with the Nats in 2009, and after blowing out his elbow made a successful return from Tommy John surgery last August. In 122 career major league innings, he has 119 strikeouts and just 39 walks. Odorizzi can only hope he’ll have that track record in two or three years.

Storen doesn’t have Jeffress’ stuff, but he’s a very good set-up man who’s already proven he can pitch in the majors. My initial concern with Espinosa was that he didn’t have the defensive chops to play shortstop, and the Royals already have a ton of second basemen. But researching the issue a little has convinced me that Espinosa, while he’ll likely play second base for the Nationals because they also have Ian Desmond, has the tools to be a solid-average defender at shortstop – and could hit 20-25 homers in the majors.

And that leaves Norris, who might be the best prospect of the four. Norris, who’s a native of Goddard, Kansas, suffered through an injury-plagued 2010 season, with a wrist problem that didn’t really allow him to hit for power until the Arizona Fall League, where he mashed. Even so, he hit .235/.419/.419 as a 21-year-old in high-A ball. And despite getting mixed reviews about his defense behind the plate, he threw out 51% of baserunners who attempted to steal.

It’s not a consensus that he can remain behind the plate, but the consensus is a lot stronger that he can that it is for Wil Myers, or for Jesus Montero for that matter. If he can, Norris could be this generation’s version of Mickey Tettleton. He’ll probably be a .270 hitter at best, but he could hit 25 homers and walk 80 or 90 times a year. That’s a player.

So yeah, that probably beats the Brewers offer. Espinosa counters Escobar’s superior glove with a better bat, Zimmermann is better than Odorizzi, and Norris – while farther from the majors – is better than Cain. Storen has less upside than Jeffress, but also less risk. That would have been a better trade, maybe substantially better.

And it doesn’t matter, because Greinke vetoed it. He refused to waive his no-trade clause to Washington; Jon Heyman reported that the Nationals even tried to sweeten the deal by extending him a long-term contract. No dice. Greinke wants to play for a winner, and – not unreasonably, I might add – determined that the Nationals’ shot at winning in the NL East the next few years isn’t much better than the Royals’ chances in the AL Central.