Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103789 times)

Online 1995hoo

Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #375: August 15, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
I saw some wild turkeys in Fairfax County a while back, but it was a pretty rural part of Fairfax County—a road off of Bull Run Post Office Road that led in to Fairfax National Golf Course (which I believe has now closed, although I hadn't played there in a long time anyway because you needed a football helmet to protect you from all the wayward drives).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #376: August 15, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »
Coyotes are more common than turkeys in Fairfax now I bet.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #377: August 15, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
I saw some cougars at the Galleria

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #378: August 15, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #379: August 15, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
What are you doing sighting cougars ?

I saw some cougars at the Galleria

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #380: August 17, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
Giant freaking spider on the plants near my mailbox. Including legs, it's probably six inches long.

Now to offset the creepiness of that, here are some pictures of a cute baby cardinal.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #381: August 17, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
Is the spider sneaking up on the cardinal?

What animals eat spiders that size? 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #382: August 17, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

Someone was just telling me there are coyotes lurking around Oakton.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #383: August 17, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Someone was just telling me there are coyotes lurking around Oakton.

Yep.   Say goodbye, little kitties.

http://oakton.patch.com/articles/coyote-spotted-in-berryland-farms

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #384: August 17, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
All the way back into the mid-90s, there was a pack-like group of what were purported to be coyote/shepherd mix animals in an area of Rockville. More likely they were just feral dogs. They'd have to hybridized to behave like a pack - I think coyotes are solitary. I also understand that it's possible, but very unlikely - for dogs and coyotes to mix - different cycles.

We've definitely spotted coyotes in The Land of Sublime Living™, Gaithersburg, Maryland, but not for a couple of years.

Pretty awesome. However, our auxilliary, outdoor cat has survived for years unaccosted by anything other than a raccoon.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #385: August 17, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
All the way back into the mid-90s, there was a pack-like group of what were purported to be coyote/shepherd mix animals in an area of Rockville. More likely they were just feral dogs. They'd have to hybridized to behave like a pack - I think coyotes are solitary. I also understand that it's possible, but very unlikely - for dogs and coyotes to mix - different cycles.

We've definitely spotted coyotes in The Land of Sublime Living™, Gaithersburg, Maryland, but not for a couple of years.

Pretty awesome. However, our auxilliary, outdoor cat has survived for years unaccosted by anything other than a raccoon.

I'm sure people sometimes mistake wild dogs for coyotes, but I've yet to see a wild dog in our neighborhood (or a coyote, for that matter).  Coyotes are known to be moving east/north, and in increasing numbers as they take advantage of exurban development where hunting is restricted, resulting in a game increase.  Saw an article a year or two ago about how they were killing feral cats in large numbers in Virginia, which was having a correspondent beneficial impact on bird populations. 

I bet they are here in larger numbers than people realize. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #386: August 17, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

There was a pack of local dogs up in Winchester that kind of went feral and would work like a pack to chase deer. I don't think they did it that long as the hunters up there really didn't appreciate it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #387: August 17, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
There was a pack of local dogs up in Winchester that kind of went feral and would work like a pack to chase deer. I don't think they did it that long as the hunters up there really didn't appreciate it.

Bring those dogs to Fairfax County, they'd be heroes.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #388: August 17, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
Bring those dogs to Fairfax County, they'd be heroes.

:thumbs:

Flipping deer ate my hostas when I went too long between Bobbex sprays. They also got my rose bush for the second consecutive year.  :shrug:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #389: August 18, 2012, 12:27:13 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, people get paid to kill coyotes. Open season year round on them?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #390: August 18, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
I need to kill a mouse in my garage. Can I set a mousetrap without attracting chipmunks? I've read that mouse traps aren't effective for chipmunks. -- does that mean that the trap would half-kill a chipmunk or that they wouldn't work at all?

I just don't want my wife stumbling on a half dead chipmunk, I don't think it would go over well if the chipmunk had to suffer.

I guess I could get some "ethical" traps and drown the mice.  :shrug:

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #391: August 18, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »
I need to kill a mouse in my garage. Can I set a mousetrap without attracting chipmunks? I've read that mouse traps aren't effective for chipmunks. -- does that mean that the trap would half-kill a chipmunk or that they wouldn't work at all?

I just don't want my wife stumbling on a half dead chipmunk, I don't think it would go over well if the chipmunk had to suffer.

Yes, I doubt your wife would be too pleased with that. Consider getting a 'Have A Heart' trap from Home Depot and then releasing the little fella in a neighbors gargage. J/K maybe better a wooded area near your house?

Offline blue911

« Reply #392: August 18, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
Yes, I doubt your wife would be too pleased with that. Consider getting a 'Have A Heart' trap from Home Depot and then releasing the little fella in a neighbors gargage. J/K maybe better a wooded area near your house?

You could release it in your job's break room. That way you could eat their lunches.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #393: August 18, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
You don't have a cat?  The shelters are full of guys who would love to help you out...any rodent smaller than a capybara would be dead or banished within an hour. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #394: August 18, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
we're the only house on the block without mice. something to think about..... :shrug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #395: August 18, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »
we're the only house on the block without mice. something to think about..... :shrug:

They're probably terrified ABC's going to chop them and stir fry 'em up Thai style in a fit of nostalgia.  Or, he already has.   Either way works.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #396: August 26, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »
Turns out, so will one of these:

(Image removed from quote.)

Howie caught TWO of those bad-boys yesterday on his very first day we let him out.  First one he was convinced was dead so he brought it into the house and when my wife saw him with something in his mouth she tried to get him back out to release it which then only spooked poor Howie so he hid under my sons' bunkbed and then released it.  Much to Howie's surprise, the chipmunk was still very much alive and immediately attempted to escape.  Then, my wife, my two sons and Howie all tried to corral the chipmunk each with their own agenda (Howie was pride of a kill, wife just wanted it the hell out of the house, preferrably dead, my youngest son wanted to save the chipmunk's life and my older son just wanted it to be over so he could go back to playing his video game).  Eventually, my wife caught the rodent as it made it's way into my sons' dirty clothes hamper so she scooped up the entire hamper and emptied it on the back porch and the chipmunk escaped.

Howie was disappointed.

However, while on my way out the door to bring my son to Scouts last night, I saw Howie come across the backyard with yet another chipmunk in his clutches.  This time, the chipmunk didn't make it.

Sad news.  Howie was hit by a car today.  Since I told the story here, I thought I'd share the news here as well.

Rest In Peace my super-special boy.  Your family loves you and misses you.  You will remain in our hearts always.  :'(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #397: August 26, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
 :icon_frown:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #398: August 26, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
I'm sorry- losing pets always sucks

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!