Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103745 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #525: February 07, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
Pretty sure my bold foxes are due to my neighbors feeding them. It's either that or they live under his deck. I see them over there all the time.

These are the same neighbors that have a salt lick to attract deer.  :doh: I'm tempted to let some bow hunters onto my property and have them slaughter deer near the salt lick until they remove it.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #526: February 07, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
Also, why feed a fox? They are capable hunters. No shortages of squirrels, mice around.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #527: February 07, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
Also, why feed a fox? They are capable hunters. No shortages of squirrels, mice around.

But they're so cuwte and fuzzy-wuzzy!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #528: February 07, 2013, 01:07:30 PM »
Well, it is close to Valentine's day, so I was planning on getting maybe flowers and chocolates and finding a nice restauarant, but if you say foxes prefer squirrels, I might try that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #529: February 07, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
Well, it is close to Valentine's day, so I was planning on getting maybe flowers and chocolates and finding a nice restauarant, but if you say foxes prefer squirrels, I might try that.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #530: February 07, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
My neighbor accross the street nearly crapt hisself one night - he went out to toss a bag of trash in the wheelie can outside, he flipped open the lid and a fox was on its way out. He told me he's not sure whether he or the fox was moving faster trying to get away from each other...

The foxes, raccoon and opossum in our neighborhood are fed well from the trash cans.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #531: February 07, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
my cousin/roomie had a good idea ... open the front door while going to the back door in hopes of it flying outside.  of course it left the kitchen and went into the family room.  so then tried the opposite, and once again the bird went back to where it was.

finally the animal control showed up and caught the bird and held it in its hand.  little dude, must've been pretty riled up ... but glad it's out of my house. 

p.s. i was told neighbor asked the guy to come into her house to check out a problem there.  good thing we called haha.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #532: February 19, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
I'm working out of the home office and I was downstairs in the kitchen eating lunch about 15 minutes ago when one of the two friendly squirrels showed up outside. He hopped up on the flowerpot that's on a small table outside the bay window, stared at me for a minute.....

....and then tried to jump onto the kitchen table. Of course, there's a window in the way and he slammed right into it. Damn, I wish I had had my iPhone handy to take video, but I never expected he'd crash into the window like that. Since he seems OK it was pretty damn funny.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #533: February 19, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
Doesn't sound friendly to me.  Sounds like an attack!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #534: February 19, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Nah, I think he just wanted food. After he bounced off the window he ran over to the door and put his paws up on the windowsill to peer inside.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #535: February 19, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
When I was in college, I had a temp job at some office off Braddock. I took smoke breaks (I smoked when I was young and dumb) out front. Right where I smoked, some guy with a window office had a sign that said

"Beware Attack Squirrel"

which I thought was really odd.

A few days into the job, I was smoking a cigarette outside in the same location. This squirrel was on a tree about 10 feet away staring at me. I was curiously staring back at the rodent. All of a sudden, the vile tree rat jumped off the tree and charged right at me. I was so surprised the thing was attacking me that I screamed like a little girl and ran for cover.

Anyway... squirrels do, surprisingly, attack on occasion.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #536: February 19, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
Also, I think I recall Hoo feeding them which is one way to incite undesirable behavior in wild animals.  Better to run at them screaming the first time so they steer clear later.    :twisted:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #537: February 20, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »
Squirrels make for fine hats.

How they for eatin'?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #538: February 20, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
Squirrels make for fine hats.

How they for eatin'?

I hear they make a good squirrel gravy to be eaten with biscuits. My brother had a friend named Chucky that like fried squirrel brains.  :shock:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #539: February 20, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
Fried squirrel brains are a delicacy because they are so hard to find and so . . .

squirrely.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #540: February 20, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
Fried squirrel brains are a delicacy because they are so hard to find and so . . .

squirrely.

:tomatoes: :tomatoes: :tomatoes: :tomatoes: :tomatoes:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #541: February 20, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »

Anyway... squirrels do, surprisingly, attack on occasion.

You wouldn't be the first person to think this particular one on our deck has a sinister bearing at times (taken last November):

This is the same little fellow seen on the previous page of this thread looking like he wants a hug; he's also the one who jumped into the window yesterday.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #542: February 20, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »

The great flaw in human evolution is that we are compelled to feed anything that is cute.

Scientists now think that cats self-domesticated. The ancestor of all house cats showed up in a human settlement one day and said "I live here now". Then our ancestors said "awwwwww!" and started feeding it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #543: February 20, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »
squirrels are adorable.  we had one enter through the chimney, dart across several rooms freaking us out.  then we were looking for it, when my mom screams and we know where it ends up.  so we race upstairs, it's sitting on the bed (i'm the first to get in the room), goes past me ... bounces off the walls to go back downstairs (past my brothers head) and then ends up in the fireplace.  we throw the fencing back on it ... put the couch over it and tape the sides.  either he's a ghost and vanished or he escaped.

but yeah squirrels are adorable still.  never heard of an attack, though.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #544: February 20, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
Scientists now think that cats self-domesticated. The ancestor of all house cats showed up in a human settlement one day and said "I live here now". Then our ancestors said "awwwwww!" and started feeding it.

That's how we ended up with "Stinky Moe."  He just showed up on our back porch one night and we fed him.  He kept coming back so we eventually trapped him, neutered him and he lives in the house now.  His favorite spot in the whole house is in our basement, right in front of our pellet stove.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #545: February 20, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
That's how we ended up with "Stinky Moe."  He just showed up on our back porch one night and we fed him.  He kept coming back so we eventually trapped him, neutered him and he lives in the house now.  His favorite spot in the whole house is in our basement, right in front of our pellet stove.

I was still thinking squirrel when I read this and freaked thinking you had a pet squirrel.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #546: February 20, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
I was still thinking squirrel when I read this and freaked thinking you had a pet squirrel.

:cheers:

Me too but I didn't wanna say anything.   I thought, "What an odd name for a squirrel."

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #547: February 20, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
Our two kittens, Greta and Ivan were born and lived, until we took them, outside under a friend's deck. Within a day or so, they behaved liked they'd lived their whole lives inside. It's incredible how affectionate they are, especially Ivan who already weighs 11lbs :o :lol: Greta weighs in at a hole 5lbs or so and Slimmy, weighs 12lbs. Slimmy is about 8 years old.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #548: February 20, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
I'm guessing Stinky Moe is thinking, "darn, this sitting by the fire sure beats hanging in the woods in subzero temprerature.  My ancestors used to be desert animals.  I could sit here forever."

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #549: February 20, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

:cheers:

Me too but I didn't wanna say anything.   I thought, "What an odd name for a squirrel."

I embarrass myself all the time. Nothing new... :shrug:

But what else would you name a squirrel?  :shock: