Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103760 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #425: August 28, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
You don't have a cat?  The shelters are full of guys who would love to help you out...any rodent smaller than a capybara would be dead or banished within an hour. 

I think cats are cute and hilarious, but unfortunately I'm highly allergic.

The store didn't have any ethic traps so I ended up getting some d-Con bait pellets (poison) and some Victor Sonic PestChaser devices (apparently they emit some high frequency sound that drives rodents nuts). Sounds like the kind of plan that will fail, but we'll see.

I also replaced my garage door seal, which was chewed up and was the entry point the rodents were using.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #426: August 28, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »
Any tips for deer control in NoVA?

These don't seem to work. http://www.amazon.com/Sweeneys-5600-6-Deer-Repellent-Stations/dp/B001UL62UK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've been using Bobbex, but that only seems to work until it rains. I sprayed this weekend and just saw a deer family chowing down on a bush that I sprayed. They already crushed all my hosta, even the ones close to the house.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #427: August 28, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
I've completely given up.

These don't seem to work. http://www.amazon.com/Sweeneys-5600-6-Deer-Repellent-Stations/dp/B001UL62UK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've been using Bobbex, but that only seems to work until it rains. I sprayed this weekend and just saw a deer family chowing down on a bush that I sprayed. They already crushed all my hosta, even the ones close to the house.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #428: August 29, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »
Do you have a gun ?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #429: August 29, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
I think cats are cute and hilarious, but unfortunately I'm highly allergic.

The store didn't have any ethic traps so I ended up getting some d-Con bait pellets (poison) and some Victor Sonic PestChaser devices (apparently they emit some high frequency sound that drives rodents nuts). Sounds like the kind of plan that will fail, but we'll see.

I also replaced my garage door seal, which was chewed up and was the entry point the rodents were using.

Bet you have a food source in your garage - bird seed, grass seed, whatever.  Might consider a full cleaning too.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #430: August 29, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »
I have sealed bird seed. I probably have grass seed as well, actually. I'll take a look.

Do you have a gun ?

Do you have a gun ?

I live in Fairfax County and don't have the 20 acres :lmao: required to discharge a firearm on private property. Laws aside, it would be extremely dangerous to hunt on my property. I'd probably hit Tom on his commute home.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #431: August 29, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »

These are effective, but only within a small area.  Still, you can defend say a small garden with them.  You can hook multiple ones running off the same faucet by using short sections of hose to connect them.  We have two in the front of our house, just have to remember to turn the sensor off in the morning lest a visitor find it before you remember   :lol: 

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS

Deer are creatures of habit, once they get an established milk run they'll keep at it, so another strategy is to use something to disrupt their migratory pattern and get them going elswhere.  Do they always go around one particular side of the house, or come out a path from the woods?  Another option would be a deer fence, they are semi invisible and can be moved to mess with the deer or used to enclose a garden.   If you have a vegatable garden they are a must.  If you have an herb garden, in my experience aside from italian parsley the deer don't like herbs.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #432: August 29, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »
I have sealed bird seed. I probably have grass seed as well, actually. I'll take a look.

I live in Fairfax County and don't have the 20 acres :lmao: required to discharge a firearm on private property. Laws aside, it would be extremely dangerous to hunt on my property. I'd probably hit Tom on his commute home.

I have a friend in Oakton who has now killed 17 deer from his back porch with a bow, over the last few years.  He eats some, donates the rest to hunters for the homeless  or whatever that charity is that processes venison for needy.

Kevrock, now I see why you're in such great shape, just hauling those trash cans down and back up the hill twice a week is quite a workout.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #433: August 29, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
thought about taking a wiz near the bush in question?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #434: August 29, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »

We bought heavy duty metal trash cans (smaller ones) that we put all our seed in, they seal to keep vermin out and we keep them outside the house since the rodents can still smell the seed.  Thus removing the incentive for incursion.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #435: August 29, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »

I buy mountain lion wiz- seems to work

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #436: August 29, 2012, 09:02:18 AM »
Tom, more serious answer after this call, but :lmao: at the photos on Amazon for that product.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #437: August 29, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »
I have several bottles of bobcat piss I use on the car to keep the rats from chewing wires, etc...seems to work, though the car then smells like a zoo.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #438: August 29, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »

I'll give it a shot.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #439: August 29, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »

What should one drink ahead of time for maximum impact?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #440: August 29, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »
Kevrock, now I see why you're in such great shape, just hauling those trash cans down and back up the hill twice a week is quite a workout.

It stinks.

We bought heavy duty metal trash cans (smaller ones) that we put all our seed in, they seal to keep vermin out and we keep them outside the house since the rodents can still smell the seed.  Thus removing the incentive for incursion.

I had one of those, but I managed to get pantry moths in it (they love bird food). I have a airtight plastic thing I'm using until I'm convinced I have the trash can moth free.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #441: August 29, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
Had a stray orange tabby cat show up on the back porch last night.  Left wome water and food for it and I woke up to find that the food was gone.  I hope he was able to eat something. 

Made me feel a bit better.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #442: August 29, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »
Be careful with the piss thing.   It attracts ticks.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #443: August 29, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
You could put out some peanut butter with rat poison in it and the deer will find a place to take a long nap.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #444: August 29, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
I'd like to do that to some of the kids around here.
You could put out some peanut butter with rat poison in it and the deer will find a place to take a long nap.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #445: August 29, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »

This would probably also kill the song birds that I love so.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #446: August 29, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
THanks for all the suggestions. In appreciation, here are some pictures of the baby (teenage?) owls that my wife took a month or two ago.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #447: August 29, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
One more

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #448: August 29, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
:clap:

Owls are the best birds.  We have more in the way of hawks, eagles and falcons up here - I'd love a larger owl population.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #449: August 29, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »
:clap:

Owls are the best birds.  We have more in the way of hawks, eagles and falcons up here - I'd love a larger owl population.

Owls are great.  We sleep with the windows upon in season and it's always neat to hear the calls at night.  Rare to see them however.