Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103724 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #200: May 25, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
Termite treatment these days is poisoned bait. It doesn't travel much unless termites eat it...

At least, that's what I think we installed. :?
he's a nice guy, definitely, pushes the eco friendly products and recommend against termite protection (even though it costs a lot) because the chemicals are bad for the environment

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #201: May 25, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
Hey now, Phish are great live.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #202: May 25, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
I don't listen to the band, but I like Ben & Jerry's Phish Food frozen yogurt.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #203: May 25, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
I'm with Cartman when it comes to hippies and jam bands.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #204: May 29, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
Shenandoah National Park is in our "backyard", is it not?

Good, needed that technical interpretation to bring you this story.

What do Boy Scout dads do when the honey-do lists are progressed and a holiday is on?  Do a 12.5m hike in SNP was our choice yesterday.  At the start of the hike one of my companions, a scientist, proclaimed it a "nice day to see some snakes", which proved a bit prophetic.  Parking near Mathews Arm, we headed down to cross Jeremy's Run, and headed up Knob Mountain for a ridge hike.  On the way I nearly stepped on a little garter snake, about 12" long.  Then we encountered a 5' black rat, who proved his mettle by refusing to budge off the trail and striking at the stick we used to move him.  Also came across a doe with suckling fawn about 30' away, along with an assortment of other deer and a wide collection of butterflies.

At the end of Knob Mtn we turned back up the Jeremy's Run trail, with 14 stream crossings and soon found a couple of water snakes sunning on a log.  But then came the delight.  I was walking last of 3.  Dwight, first in line, stumbled on a rock and came down hard with a stomp on his other foot.  This caused the timber rattler lying quietly 3' away to spring immediately to a defensive posture and rattle vigorously for 4-5 seconds while the humans tried to sort through the pandemonium.  Fortunately Dwight's stumble took him beyond striking range and we were able to revel in the discovery.  My first ever eastern rattlesnake!    :woop: 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #205: May 29, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »
The past few nights something has been pooping in my front yard - either a fox or a skunk - based on the scat.

The first night it was fresh scat in an area that I am seeding - I guess it was eating my seeds when nature called. The next night, fresh scat on 2 of my slate pavers (in case I didn't see it the first night?"). And last night on the sidewalk closer to the house -  more fresh scat. I hope he moves along in a day or so.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #206: May 29, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
Could it not be a raccoon, too? I'm not a scatologist.
The past few nights something has been pooping in my front yard - either a fox or a skunk - based on the scat.

The first night it was fresh scat in an area that I am seeding - I guess it was eating my seeds when nature called. The next night, fresh scat on 2 of my slate pavers (in case I didn't see it the first night?"). And last night on the sidewalk closer to the house -  more fresh scat. I hope he moves along in a day or so.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #207: May 29, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »
Could it not be a raccoon, too? I'm not a scatologist.

I wouldn't rule out the raccoon or an opossum.

http://www.terrierman.com/scatanswers.htm

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #208: May 30, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
got the pest guy to the house today, went up to the attic with him, turned on the light and we were greeted by a black snake- good times

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #209: May 30, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
got the pest guy to the house today, went up to the attic with him, turned on the light and we were greeted by a black snake- good times

He's up there in case you have any nice rodents to eat.  Of course, if there's a way to get into your house from the attic, he'll find that as well.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #210: June 04, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
Yesterday morning we were eating breakfast and we had our kitchen windows open when we suddenly heard the lady next door yelling something. We looked outside and she was swatting madly with a broom yelling "Bad squirrel!" over and over again. Then a squirrel jumped over to our deck railing and she swatted one more time with the broom and then she went back inside...... sure enough, it was our friendly squirrel and he jumped over to one of the deck chairs and started watching us eat. So we threw him some peanuts and for some insane reason he decided to go back across the same neighbor's deck en route to hoarding them wherever he puts them. He must be a glutton for punishment (although we didn't hear her come back outside to chase him away again).

I wonder if he was digging in her plants or something.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #211: June 04, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
Yesterday morning we were eating breakfast and we had our kitchen windows open when we suddenly heard the lady next door yelling something. We looked outside and she was swatting madly with a broom yelling "Bad squirrel!" over and over again.

:lmao:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #212: June 04, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
Squirrels are very sensitive, and often brood over other creature's opinions of them. I hope this one finds the strength to go on.

Yesterday morning we were eating breakfast and we had our kitchen windows open when we suddenly heard the lady next door yelling something. We looked outside and she was swatting madly with a broom yelling "Bad squirrel!" over and over again.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #213: June 04, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel

Squirrels are very sensitive, and often brood over other creature's opinions of them. I hope this one finds the strength to go on.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #214: June 04, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »

:lmao:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #215: June 04, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Mathguy:
B. Badanov:
same for moose

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #216: June 04, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »
Mathguy:

B. Badanov:
same for moose

E. Fudd:
same for wabbits

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #217: June 04, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »

Poor Mr. Squirrel Nutkin.  :(

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #218: June 04, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
Mathguy:

B. Badanov:

same for moose

E. Fudd:

same for wabbits

W. Coyote

same for Roadrunners

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #219: June 07, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
I had a freaking young male cardinal fly THROUGH my spokes will I was riding to work today.  Good thing it was a steep uphill, or he would have been radish slices.  I stopped and watched him for a while as he sat on a branch and contemplated what had just happened, and then he buzzed off to the upper branches to my relief. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #220: June 07, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
Nice. :)

Flipping raccoon (I guess) is messing with my hummingbird feeder. I got home from my game and the feeder was swinging wildly. It was empty and there was sugar water spilled all over the freaking place.

I guess I have to find a new spot where the raccoon can't reach. :shrug: Problem is, they are pretty clever and can reach most everywhere around the house.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #221: June 07, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Any advice for keeping a chipmunk out of my garage? Is there any way to keep him away without having to kill him? Anyone know if a repellent like this would work? http://www.critter-repellent.com/chipmunks/test/chipmunks-test-yard-landscape.php

If I have to kill it, I have read that peanut butter and rat traps will work.
I'd buy a fox
they sell predator urine at some hardware stores- fox urine around the perimeter of my fence got rid of a bunch of rabbits who were destroying a garden, might work for chipmunks

saw this this morning

http://forthunt.patch.com/articles/surprise-kittens-turn-out-to-be-foxes-photos?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001
A relative, who happens to live near Fort Hunt Road outside Alexandria, has 2 chipmunks with several holes near the foundation of the house.  A fox the size of a small dog was seen on the street in front of the house 2 weeks ago. 

I just found a 1 inch round hole near the top of the roof.  It looked like something gnawed through the roof shingle into the attic, which I plugged.  A few years ago, there were raccoons hanging around in the roof area, which a pest control company removed.

So I'm wondering if I should try to see if the chipmunks are still around, and whether to ensure their demise, if that fox didn't take care of them.  And what problems the fox could cause.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #222: June 07, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »
Pretty much sounds like my place.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hummingbird/msg081545368050.html

Just glad the raccoon hasn't figured out how to unscrew the bottom of the feeder yet. They are clever as heck.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #223: June 07, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
Actually, I'll just bring the hummingbird feeder in each night. It's easy to reach and detach. That problem is solved, at least.

I fully expect the raccoon to re-double his efforts on either my suet cage or my bird feeder after I do this.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #224: June 08, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »

So I'm wondering if I should try to see if the chipmunks are still around, and whether to ensure their demise, if that fox didn't take care of them.  And what problems the fox could cause.

This will take care of your chipmunk infestation: