Author Topic: CAPS Week 3 - October 18-21  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
CAPS Week 3 - October 18-21
« Topic Start: October 19, 2006, 04:45:24 AM »
Thread dedicated to Week 3 games for the Washington Capitals

October 18: Capitals vs. Panthers @ Verizon Center; 7:00pm
October 19: Capitals @ Thrashers; 7:00pm
October 21: Capitals vs. Lightning @ Verizon Center; 7:00pm

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #1: October 19, 2006, 04:50:49 AM »
Caps vs Panthers - 5-2 Caps Final

Score was deceiving if you ask me.  Caps had some great shots during the 1st period but appeared flat the rest of the game.  And they still have a terrible time with the power play.  Very few shots on goal - what can be done?

It appears that opponents are effective with defending Ovechkin but have no answers for Semin.  I wonder if the emphasis on defending Ovechkin is allowing Semin to shine?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: October 19, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »
Most of those 5 goals can be attributed to Florida playing badly rather than the Caps playing well.

Although most of the first period the Caps controlled the play, not a ton of scoring ops though.  

Didnt see a replay of hewards goal but it might have been a softie.  Bradley looked like he whiffed and it went through the pads.

Whatever, I'll take it.  

Crowd was pretty sparse. Probably around 5k actually showed.

Ovechkin seemed to show a little more jump. Good hit near the end I think.  Have to see a replay to tell if the guy fell or was hit.  But it looked cool

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: October 19, 2006, 10:28:28 AM »
Ugly win but I'll take it.  Other than that 15 minute stretch in the first period the Caps were sub-par.   Kolzig played decent.  Our specialty teams suck big time.  We have absolutely no offensive power play and have trouble stopping other teams' power plays as well.  Looks like Brent Johnson will go tonight against the Thrashers.  It would be nice for us to pull out the win but I doubt it.  The Atlanta goalie Lehtonen is a beast.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: October 19, 2006, 05:51:08 PM »
Kolzig played great last night.

Caps on pace for 98 pts :)

Let's pull out a win tonite, boys!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: October 19, 2006, 09:54:03 PM »
October 19th at Phillips Center:
Caps 3
Thrashers 4

HORRIBLE LOSS TONIGHT.  Our Defense and Special Teams were trash.  I can't type any more.. arghh

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #6: October 20, 2006, 09:15:50 AM »
Quote from: "sportsfan882"
HORRIBLE LOSS TONIGHT.  Our Defense and Special Teams were trash.  I can't type any more.. arghh
You must have watched a different game than me.  The Caps were winning all the way until 40 seconds left in the game.  They withstood a two consecutive (4 minutes) 5-3 Atlanta power plays in the third.  

What a depressing gut buster of a loss in the shoot-out though.  Despite that, Brent Johnson is the MAN.  I love this guy!  He blocked 18 shots on goal in the third period which included a flurry during the 4 minute 5 on 3.  He's got great eyes.  I hope he's the future Caps net-minder and they don't trade him away!

Nats Bruin

« Reply #7: October 20, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »
I just watched the tape and YES the Caps were winning on the scoreboard
but POOR Johnson and for that matter Kolzig in the previous games. The Caps have NO defense and give up way too many shots (been an issue for a long time). Johnson stood on his head, but he wouldn't have had to be such a factor last night if they just had some decent defensemen.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #8: October 20, 2006, 11:56:15 AM »
Quote from: "Nats Bruin"
I just watched the tape and YES the Caps were winning on the scoreboard
but POOR Johnson and for that matter Kolzig in the previous games. The Caps have NO defense and give up way too many shots (been an issue for a long time). Johnson stood on his head, but he wouldn't have had to be such a factor last night if they just had some decent defensemen.

Exactly.  Our defense is not getting the job done at all.  It's even worse when they are a man short.  Everyone says a point is a point, but you do not let games like this one just slip away.  They will surely come back to haunt you.
BTW, what has happened to our shootout guys?  They look lost.  We have lost more overtime games than any other team in the NHL.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: October 20, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »
Withstanding two consecutive 5-3 power plays can't be ALL the goaltender.  I'm seeing just the opposite as you guys...we need more flurrys of shots on offense.  Despite his score last night (muscled the puck in front of the blue ice), Ovechkin has been effectively neutralized and we only managed two shots on goal during one of our power plays - even though we DID score, that's pathetic.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #10: October 20, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »
They can't expect to win games 9-8 and make the playoffs.
The "plan" that Teddy has come up with is for the defense to "GROW"
into a cohesive unit. Thats alot easier if we had just one NHL caliber D-man back there.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #11: October 20, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »
They can't expect to win games 9-8 and make the playoffs.
The "plan" that Teddy has come up with is for the defense to "GROW"
into a cohesive unit. Thats alot easier if we had just one NHL caliber D-man back there.
The Thrashers didn't score 8 they scored 4.  Don't exaggerate.   :?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: October 21, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »
October 21 at Verizon Center
CAPS 4
LIGHTNING 6

This loss tonight was flat out embarrassing.  We blew a lead at home against a bad team.  Kolzig was atrocious as was our defense.  We also committed way too many penalties.  Semin and Ovechkin looked good on offense once again.  Next: 4 game road trip, eeek

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: October 22, 2006, 10:14:55 AM »
It seems whenever we play Tampa, the refs always find a way to miss obvious calls against TB and call the littlest things against us.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: October 23, 2006, 03:00:25 AM »
That puck bungle by Ben Clymer in the third period was the epitomy of embarassment.  And he did it right after we had pulled within a goal...after that it took the wind out of any comeback sails we might have had.  They showed him on the bench hanging his head - he should have just went to the locker room - I was so mad.   :x

Marc Denis was spectacular for Tampa.  Kolzig looked ... well - his age.  Looks like he will be performing most of the goal tending on the upcoming road trip.   :oops:

Nats Bruin

« Reply #15: October 23, 2006, 06:43:23 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
It seems whenever we play Tampa, the refs always find a way to miss obvious calls against TB and call the littlest things against us.

:lol:  "I don't care who you are, THATS FUNNY RIGHT THERE!"

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: October 23, 2006, 04:55:46 PM »

I don't know if you agree with me or not, but the proof is there multiple times over the past few years.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #17: October 24, 2006, 06:52:17 AM »

I don't know if you agree with me or not, but the proof is there multiple times over the past few years.

No Ted, I don't agree with you....the EXCUSE is there multiple times over the past few years. Officiating hasn't been the reason for the Caps futility.....talent has!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: October 24, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »
I can't believe we've been saddled with Bertuzzi in the SE division, where we'll have to see a lot of him.  That guy should be in jail.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #19: October 24, 2006, 11:42:19 AM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
I can't believe we've been saddled with Bertuzzi in the SE division, where we'll have to see a lot of him.  That guy should be in jail.

The Caps could use Todd the Tank on their roster!

2005-06 NHL SEASON
Played in all 82 regular season games
Finished tied for third in team scoring with 71 points (25-46-71) and hits with 129

I'd go to more Caps games and Teds ticket prices would be closer to being justified if we had Bertuzzi (or somebody with his talent).

I like him in the SE at any rate.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: October 24, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »

No Ted, I don't agree with you....the EXCUSE is there multiple times over the past few years. Officiating hasn't been the reason for the Caps futility.....talent has!

I'm just talking about games vs TB. The Playoff series in 03 is a prime example.

Maybe you haven't watched their games vs TB, but I see us getting screwed night in and night out vs them. Some of the games we lost ourselves, but most of them TB got help from the officials.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: October 24, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"

Bertuzzi = WAY, WAY overrated.

I'm just happy Luongo is OUT of Florida and the SE.

Nats Bruin

« Reply #22: October 25, 2006, 08:05:53 AM »

I'm just talking about games vs TB. The Playoff series in 03 is a prime example.

Maybe you haven't watched their games vs TB, but I see us getting screwed night in and night out vs them. Some of the games we lost ourselves, but most of them TB got help from the officials.

I had season tickets until the lockout and watched ALL the TB games. The prime EXCUSE when you lose to a team is "they got help from the officials". Winning is a tangible thing, and we lost because we weren't good enough.