Author Topic: Back up plan if Gio is suspended?  (Read 5044 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Back up plan if Gio is suspended?
« Reply #25: January 29, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
The Vindicator is tanned, rested, and ready.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #26: January 29, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
Vasquez, Maya, and Garcia

Ryan Perry (whom we got from Detroit in the Bally trade) is also being converted to a starter.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #27: January 29, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »
TRJPWH and the return of Thunder.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: January 29, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
Levale Speigner.

or Chuck Norris.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #29: January 29, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »
There is no backup plan. He signed with the Phillies.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #30: January 30, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Me
Me personally if I'm a pitcher and I make the salary of gio. Wouldn't you go to see the team doctor or ask rizzo for help in finding a specific supplement? Your making millions for christ sake use your team resources. The owner is a billionaire. Wouldnt you feel safer doing it that way, instead of going through a third party doctor?

If he's suspended and we lose him 50 games, and espinosa is out with lombo in and were struggling against a loaded braves team, nobody is going to be laughing on here. This team doesnt need the distraction now. The braves and the dodgers are stacked. Losing Gio or epinosa will hurt us during the season. I think this team has a 2 yr window to win it all. Just my 2.

This is the whole reason why he's under suspicion even though the records released to this point don't explicitly say 'steroids' or 'hgh' or whatever.  Why would he go to this guy if he was just getting something he could get from team docs or someone more reputable?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #31: January 30, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »
I think this team has a 2 yr window to win it all.
Every major player is here through 2015. That's 3 years.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #32: January 31, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »
Me
Me personally if I'm a pitcher and I make the salary of gio. Wouldn't you go to see the team doctor or ask rizzo for help in finding a specific supplement? Your making millions for christ sake use your team resources. The owner is a billionaire. Wouldnt you feel safer doing it that way, instead of going through a third party doctor?

If he's suspended and we lose him 50 games, and espinosa is out with lombo in and were struggling against a loaded braves team, nobody is going to be laughing on here. This team doesnt need the distraction now. The braves and the dodgers are stacked. Losing Gio or epinosa will hurt us during the season. I think this team has a 2 yr window to win it all. Just my 2.

Yeah but let's say, hypothetically, you are a pitcher and make the salary of Gio.  And, hypothetically, you want an illegal substance?  Then where do you go? (Miami).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #33: February 01, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Your making millions for christ sake use your team resources. ... instead of going through a third party doctor?

I have to agree. And I am assuming that Gio is completely innocent.  For what they are paying him, he assumes a level of responsibility - if he want to take a certain (legal) supplement, and he has chosen a source, go to an authority - either the team or MLB - and check out the source.  It's the least he could have done.  And then, if the authority approves, and the source later is found to be dirty, he's covered.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #34: February 01, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »
I have to agree. And I am assuming that Gio is completely innocent.  For what they are paying him, he assumes a level of responsibility - if he want to take a certain (legal) supplement, and he has chosen a source, go to an authority - either the team or MLB - and check out the source.  It's the least he could have done.  And then, if the authority approves, and the source later is found to be dirty, he's covered.

Let's just say Gio strikes me as a nice guy and (like most ballplayers) won't be the person who finds a cure for cancer.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #35: February 02, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #36: February 03, 2013, 09:47:48 PM »
Talk on MLBTR about trading for another lefty starter

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #37: February 03, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
Talk on MLBTR about trading for another lefty starter
All I saw was Nick Cafardo (a Boston Globe writer) saying the Nats may be interested in Franklin Morales? Am I missing something?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #38: February 04, 2013, 12:51:41 AM »
All I saw was Nick Cafardo (a Boston Globe writer) saying the Nats may be interested in Franklin Morales? Am I missing something?

that would be a nice move.  relatively young (26 I think), has good stuff, and can slide into the pen when gio comes back.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: February 04, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »
Before the Morse trade, he was the guy I wanted the Nats to go for (and the sox to walk away from Napoli).  Morales looked very good as a starter until he tired near the end of the year.  Going back and forth between the pen and starting did not help him as a starter.  He had a good year in relief when he was not starting.  Throws pretty hard.  He'd would step in as our top lefty in the pen, ahead of Duke, but could start if the worst happens to Gio.

That said, Cafardo is pretty random in throwing poop agains the wall.  The diffference between a rumor  Cafardo reports, one Heyman reprots,  and one that Rosenthal reports is that Rosenthal has worked for the information, Heyman has been fed it by Boras or someone with an agenda, and Cafardo generally just is saying "this makes sense to me" without sourcing it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #40: February 04, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
Before the Morse trade, he was the guy I wanted the Nats to go for

But would Morse alone have gotten him in return?  I think we should have packaged Morse together with one or two bench players and gotten something more substantial.  But with Morse gone, who's left to trade?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #41: February 04, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
But would Morse alone have gotten him in return?  I think we should have packaged Morse together with one or two bench players and gotten something more substantial.  But with Morse gone, who's left to trade?

I'm pretty certain that Morse would have gotten him.  I would think the Red Sox would trade Morales for AJ Cole.  That said, I wouldn't trade AJ Cole for Morales if I'm the Nats.  If they need that extra starter that badly, just sign Vasquez or Roy Oswalt.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #42: February 04, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
If they need that extra starter that badly, just sign Vasquez or Roy Oswalt.

The only free-agent starter we would be able to sign is one who (a) is either willing to be assigned to AAA, or (b)  can pitch out of the bullpen and is willing to.  I'm sure (a) doesn't apply to either Vasquez or Oswalt. Can either one pitch out of the bullpen?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #43: February 04, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
I agree - those guys wouldn't sit in AAA or the bullpen. 

But - we don't actually need to sign anyone right now, so it doesn't make sense to me to trade something of value for Morales.  Right now, he'd be a moderate upgrade over Duke as the long relief guy in the pen. 

If Gio gets suspended, then maybe you look to sign Vasquez or someone like that.  I wouldn't trade a top prospect just on the chance that Gio might get suspended.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #44: February 04, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
Gio is a.... Hope he blows out his arm. This team does not need a distraction. I'm still mad....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #45: February 04, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
Gio is a....

A what?  A dim wit? At this point you can't really conclude any more than that.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #46: February 04, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
A what?  A dim wit? At this point you can't really conclude any more than that.

If I'm lerner why do I want this kind of player on my team. He's ruining the chancing of them winning a title imo. Gio is more than a dim wit. If he's guilty, I hope he blows his arm out or get's trade after this year for three prospects or whatever. Just get him out of dc. No distractions right now for this clown.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #47: February 04, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
 :nts:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #48: February 04, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
If I'm lerner why do I want this kind of player on my team. He's ruining the chancing of them winning a title imo. Gio is more than a dim wit. If he's guilty, I hope he blows his arm out or get's trade after this year for three prospects or whatever. Just get him out of dc. No distractions right now for this clown.

Day-um  ...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #49: February 04, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
LO - when you drop the 5th picture from the avi?