Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 55289 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Topic Start: August 26, 2009, 05:18:04 PM »
What can you do on your Mac that I can't do on my PC, hmm?

Pretty much what you said :)

Everything that I already know EXACTLY how to do QUICKLY and easily on Windows OS X.

I just prefer the way the Mac "works" over that of Windows, though I believe that with Windows 7, Microsoft is on par with OS X in pretty much every area except for security, which the argument can be made that the Mac is only protected by obscurity, which I don't buy as the full reason but it does help.

I also liked building PCs back in the day, but now that notebooks are out pacing desktop sales, you pretty much have to buy a notebook from a company.  I don't know of too many people that build their own notebooks.

I admit that the looks of a Mac appeal to me and is one of the reasons that I like buying them, but they are also better built than a run of the mill PC notebook.  Solid machined aluminum makes if feel well built and sturdy.  The PC notebooks I have owned and used were plasticky and flimsy feeling.  Sony builds some good notebooks (or at least they used to) but then the price argument for PC over Mac goes out the window since most of the Vaios I have seen are priced right up there with a Mac.

I do dislike Apple's policy of restricting OS X to their hardware, but I understand why they have to do it.  I would never buy a Mac Pro if I could build my own PC for cheaper with just as much power.

What does make my blood boil is when people who know don't know what they're talking about rave on about how much better Macs are because of XYZ fallacious reasons.
I'm a Mac user, and I agree 100% with this, and it goes both ways.  Windows fanatics do it too.

I do have to say that if in 3-4 years when it comes time to replace my MacBook Pro Windows 8 has continued to improve as they have with 7 and I can find a manufacturer that makes a quality machine on par with Apple that I would not rule out buying a "PC" over another Mac.