Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2  (Read 56552 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #275: September 16, 2009, 10:30:43 PM »
what do AlGo and Nieves have to do with Guzman? What do you want from your back-up catcher?

i was responding to your post that nieves hasn't been doing his job.  and there are no options other than guzman.  guz/desmond are the best combo we have as of now. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #276: September 16, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
What do you want from your back-up catcher?
OPS over .650.  .600 is terrible.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #277: September 16, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Q: Jim, what did you say to your players tonight?

RIGGLEMAN: The gist of what I said -- you pick up the paper, you hear things, and a lot of comments get started with, 'The worst team in baseball, the Washington Nationals.' And you know, we're not the worst team in baseball. Unfortunately you are whatever your record says you are, but we've got a good ballclub. And this good ballclub just found ways tonight to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose a ballgame, which adds to the record, the negativity, and allows people to write those things. For me, our record does not indicate the quality of the ballclub we have. The score of that ballgame did not indicate the ballgame that was; that game was 2-0 for a long time, and now it ends up 6-1 and it looks like the worst team in baseball again. So I'm just reminding our players, when you make that many mistakes in a ballgame you are going to allow those things to be said, and we've got to be accountable for that... Tonight, we legitimately made a lot of mistakes, and it starts with me and the staff. If our players are making those kinds of mistakes then we've got to make sure we're coaching them better, managing them better, to not make those mistakes. Because that was a lot of bad things happening in that ballgame that we cannot allow to continue to happen.

Q: What were the mistakes in particular that bothered you?

RIGGLEMAN: We were bunting when we weren't supposed to be bunting. Balls in the air, we were doubled up a couple times. We were trying to turn a double play we can't turn. You know, just things that we just can't do. If we're gonna be a better ballclub, we just can't do those things.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #278: September 16, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
No, Jim, we're the worst team in baseball. Trust me, we're the worst.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #279: September 16, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
"Joe Blanton was due for a good game against the Nationals"

I guess Phil Wood went to the sportsfan882 school of mathematics :roll:
Still my favorite board argument...

(I missed the whole "fact in my mind" tirade...)

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #280: September 16, 2009, 11:59:15 PM »
And you know, we're not the worst team in baseball. Unfortunately you are whatever your record says you are
Unbelievable.  Can't wait for them to get rid of this tool.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #281: September 17, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »
Nationals win 70+ games next year!!
While that seems nice from where we're at now, 73 wins would still leave us all frustrated.  We'd actually be the Reds instead of just gobbling up all their leftovers.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #282: September 17, 2009, 12:37:24 AM »
While that seems nice from where we're at now, 73 wins would still leave us all frustrated.  We'd actually be the Reds instead of just gobbling up all their leftovers.
yep. we just won 73 in '07. I won't get cised until we win 80+ games.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #283: September 17, 2009, 12:51:43 AM »
If we win 90, I'll get so cised that I'll silly. :whip: :whip:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #284: September 17, 2009, 06:43:33 AM »
"That wasn't Desi's fault," Riggleman said. "We wanted Livan swinging the bat there. When he bunted, that caught Desmond by surprise. He wasn't sure if he could go or not. That was just a situation where I'm trusting Livan to swing the bat.

"He is such a good hitter that I want him to swing the bat. When he swung the bat [in the fourth inning], he hit a double. He has done it a couple of times where he is convinced that he can get the bunt down past the pitcher and second baseman. I prefer if he swings the bat."
PWNED X INFINITY

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #285: September 17, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »
PWNED X INFINITY

desmond froze and he was close to 3rd base.  he's gotta be quicker to make a decision to either go home or go back to 3rd.  sorry no pwnage here. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #286: September 17, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
PWNED X INFINITY

Ok you have outed your self as a cherry-picker. Riggleman is an idiot who makes excuses in his press conferences, except when he confirms what you want him to say, then it's solid evidence :roll:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #287: September 17, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
Ok you have outed your self as a cherry-picker. Riggleman is an idiot who makes excuses in his press conferences, except when he confirms what you want him to say, then it's solid evidence :roll:

still waiting for an excuse from SF on nieves bonehead play that put us in a 1-0 hole ...

btw livan pitched well, i wouldn't mind signing him for next year as a back end of the rotation option.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #288: September 17, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »

btw livan pitched well, i wouldn't mind signing him for next year as a back end of the rotation option.

This post is only acceptable if followed by "LANC - I was totally wrong" - kthx.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #289: September 17, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
There's a difference between making excuses for the team and absolving someone by assigning blame to a specific person.

That said, hammonds has a point.  Regardless of what was expected of Livo, Desmond shouldn't have just stood there with his thumb up his ass.

Offline blue911

« Reply #290: September 17, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
There's a difference between making excuses for the team and absolving someone by assigning blame to a specific person.

That said, hammonds has a point.  Regardless of what was expected of Livo, Desmond shouldn't have just stood there with his thumb up his ass.

+1.

Then again neither should of Maxwell or Guzman.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #291: September 17, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
This post is only acceptable if followed by "LANC - I was totally wrong" - kthx.

no not at all.  it's a cheap move.  i was warning the LANC, don't nag if livan sucked, b/c this is exactly the type of move the Lerners are known for: searching through the bargain bin. 

now it's time to step up and get a front of the line starter in addition.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #292: September 17, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »

i'm a huge desmond fan - as you can see by my sig - but i still have the ability to call him out when needed.  (unlike some people on here 8))

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #293: September 17, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
no not at all.  it's a cheap move.  i was warning the LANC, don't nag if livan sucked, b/c this is exactly the type of move the Lerners are known for: searching through the bargain bin. 

now it's time to step up and get a front of the line starter in addition.

It was a smart baseball move - you have tunnel vision. What other innings eaters were available at league minimum that day, especially pitchers who are extra motivated to stay in DC due to a love of Georgetown?

Offline blue911

« Reply #294: September 17, 2009, 10:53:22 AM »
It was a smart baseball move - you have tunnel vision. What other innings eaters were available at league minimum that day, especially pitchers who are extra motivated to stay in DC due to a love of Georgetown?

Not tunnel vision so much. I think the Nats need to go after a front line starter. My problem is the only pitcher the is both a front line starter and a guaranteed free agent is Lackey. I just can't see him wanting to even visit DC, let alone work here.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #295: September 17, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »

you are totally missing my point ...

i'm on board with the move, i think it's a good one.  it was a bargain bin/cheap, move, yes.  but it's a good one if we rely on livan as a back end starter.  then in the offseason we need to go after a frontline starter (or two). 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #296: September 17, 2009, 11:06:22 AM »
Not tunnel vision so much. I think the Nats need to go after a front line starter. My problem is the only pitcher the is both a front line starter and a guaranteed free agent is Lackey. I just can't see him wanting to even visit DC, let alone work here.

Offline blue911

« Reply #297: September 17, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

No matter how much you think money solves everything, Anna Nicole Smith still died fat and drunk.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #298: September 17, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »
No matter how much you think money solves everything, Anna Nicole Smith still died fat and drunk.

it doesn't, but in our case, when we need all the help we can ... it's a step in the right direction.

Offline blue911

« Reply #299: September 17, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
it doesn't, but in our case, when we need all the help we can ... it's a step in the right direction.

The Nationals may need Lackey, but it isn't reciprocal. Money will probably be a consideration only if he isn't offered a fair deal from a team in contention.