Author Topic: Lou Piniella announces decision to retire following 2010 season  (Read 756 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Cubs manager Lou Piniella today gave the following statement to announce he has made the decision to retire following the 2010 season. "I couldn't be more appreciative of the Cubs organization for providing me the opportunity to manage this ballclub," said Piniella. "I've had four wonderful years here that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I've grown to love the city and the fans but at my age (67 at the end of the season) it will be time to enter a new phase in my life. It will enable me to spend more valuable time with my family - my wife, my kids and my grandchildren. God has blessed me to have been able to work this many years in the game that I love.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100720&content_id=12429328&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc&partnerId=ed-3877148-147430208

Enjoy your retirement Lou.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I take a perverse pleasure when players or managers exclude teams like the Nats from their short list, and then fail anyway.

I was happy to never see Mussina get a ring, damn shame that Teixeira picked one up so fast.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Best of luck Lou.

Lou Piniella today announced he has elected to step down as manager of the Chicago Cubs following this afternoon's game against the Atlanta Braves at Wrigley Field for family reasons.

http://www.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100822&content_id=13777138&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc&partnerId=ed-3916577-153845310

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Oh, Geez.  I hope its not something too serious.   :(

Offline DPMOmaha

His mom's been ill for a while now.  He even had to take some time away from the team earlier this year to help take care of her.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
If the team was any good, he'd stick it out I bet.

Offline blue911

If the team was any good, he'd stick it out I bet.

I'd think the same if he hadn't already decided to retire at seasons end. His mom is 90 and in failing health, sounds like he's doing what most of us wish we could do, spend as much quality time with a parent before it's too late.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I'd think the same if he hadn't already decided to retire at seasons end. His mom is 90 and in failing health, sounds like he's doing what most of us wish we could do, spend as much quality time with a parent before it's too late.

He's Lou freaking Pinella. 10 bucks says if he changes his mind later a team will hire him as skipper. He's being a good man right now.

Offline CALSGR8

No, I don't think he will.  Believe me!  It takes a lot emotion out of you when you're caring for an ailing parent.  Even afterwords, it takes awhile to get over the loss.

Offline Coladar

I think he'll be back, more today than any other. Someone like Piniella, two years from now, won't want to remember this disaster of a season being his last. But today's game was the icing... Two years from now, sitting at home, he won't want to remember a 16-5 defeat as his last game. No way. I really think he'll be back, likely for a two year deal.

Offline CALSGR8

Maybe in a year or 2.  Not a month or 2 though.

Offline saltydad

Good for Louuuuuuuu.