Author Topic: Should Harper be platooned?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Should Harper be platooned?
« Reply #75: August 15, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
Slowly reaching the point I think he should be sent down through the end of Syracuse's season then called up again to be a part of the late playoff push then as a valuable bench guy in the playoffs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #77: August 15, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
Slowly reaching the point I think he should be sent down through the end of Syracuse's season then called up again to be a part of the late playoff push then as a valuable bench guy in the playoffs.

Yes. Or at least give the kid a rest: Bernadina and Moore deserve playing time, and Lombo ought to be in the lineup someplace when Desmond returns.

Offline madj55

« Reply #78: August 15, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
Yes. Or at least give the kid a rest: Bernadina and Moore deserve playing time, and Lombo ought to be in the lineup someplace when Desmond returns.

Agreed, right now I'd much rather see Bernadina out there than Harper. Hoping Bryce snaps out of it though.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #79: August 15, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »
Bryce is going through a very expected and rough slump. Hes only 19 and hes been up since May. Hes not going to be effective every single day despite what the media says.

hes going to be a very good player in time....just needs to come back to earth and just get back to what he was doing in the first place to get the call up.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #80: August 15, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I feel bad for him. He's helplessly hacking away.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #81: August 15, 2012, 10:47:55 PM »
RZK he never did anything to earn his call-up... He was struggling in AAA when they brought him up.

It's what surprised me so much about his hot start in the MLB.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #82: August 15, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
I don't think he has anything left to prove in the minors. I want him facing major league breaking balls until he can learn to lay off them. But he should be doing it further down in the order.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #83: August 16, 2012, 12:29:52 AM »
I don't think he has anything left to prove in the minors. I want him facing major league breaking balls until he can learn to lay off them. But he should be doing it further down in the order.

I agree.

Move Bryce to around the 7th spot.

Push Werth up to the 2nd spot when Ian Desmond comes back.

Espinosa
Werth
Zimmerman
Morse
LaRoche
Desmond
Harper
Suzuki

Its a great problem to have when you got excess guys (Berny,Lombo, Moore, etc.) to pinch hit and be actually good at it.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #84: August 16, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »
I agree.

Move Bryce to around the 7th spot.

Push Werth up to the 2nd spot when Ian Desmond comes back.

Espinosa
Werth
Zimmerman
Morse
LaRoche
Desmond
Harper
Suzuki

Its a great problem to have when you got excess guys (Berny,Lombo, Moore, etc.) to pinch hit and be actually good at it.

I could be down with that. Extra days off should also be in order.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #85: August 16, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »
Danny's my boy and all... But I don't want him leading off against RHP. He needs to be batting 6th or 7th against RHP.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #86: August 16, 2012, 05:19:51 AM »
Danny's my boy and all... But I don't want him leading off against RHP. He needs to be batting 6th or 7th against RHP.

OK, Let Werth lead off against RHP

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #87: August 16, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »

Now that Desmond is coming back way earlier than I thought and the FO it maybe a good time to send Harper down to Syracuse to regain some confidence and bring him back when rosters expand. It happened to Trout last year and I don't think there is really any other candidate on the 25 man except Moore. Harper needs some days off up here so it isn't like he is going to miss all the remaining games this month. Cesar needs to be kept on the 25 man in case Desmond has a set back.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #88: August 16, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »
Rivero is on the 40 man already so there is coverage for any reinjury, plus there are guys like Jose Lopez (and Izturis) who can be picked up for minimal costs.  Lombo goes to the bench and provides the occasional day off when Desmond returns.

Bryce's arm and speed is just so superior to Moore that you don't even have to get into the range and reading the ball.  When Moore misjudges a fly, you are dead.  When Bryce misjudges a fly, at least there is a shot he can get to the ball with his make up speed, and if it drops no one will run on that arm.  Once or twice a week, Moore should start ahead of him to keep Moore fresh, but he should not start ahead of Bryce in any important game.

As for where to hit him in the order, I'm all for dropping him to 6th or 7th. I'd like to keep ALR and him separated by about 2 hitters, so that means ALR batting 3d or 4th.  I might try this v RHP:

Werth
RZ
ALR
Morse
Desi
Harper
Espi
Catcher

and slide Espinosa up to leadoff v LHP and slide everyone else down one slot.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #89: August 16, 2012, 09:05:27 AM »

Bryce's arm and speed is just so superior to Moore that you don't even have to get into the range and reading the ball.  When Moore misjudges a fly, you are dead.  When Bryce misjudges a fly, at least there is a shot he can get to the ball with his make up speed, and if it drops no one will run on that arm.  Once or twice a week, Moore should start ahead of him to keep Moore fresh, but he should not start ahead of Bryce in any important game.

at what point does the bat matter? Moore is hitting better now and should be getting more starts

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #90: August 16, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »
Rivero is on the 40 man already so there is coverage for any reinjury, plus there are guys like Jose Lopez (and Izturis) who can be picked up for minimal costs.  Lombo goes to the bench and provides the occasional day off when Desmond returns.

As for where to hit him in the order, I'm all for dropping him to 6th or 7th. I'd like to keep ALR and him separated by about 2 hitters, so that means ALR batting 3d or 4th.  I might try this v RHP:

Werth
RZ
ALR
Morse
Desi
Harper
Espi
Catcher

and slide Espinosa up to leadoff v LHP and slide everyone else down one slot.

I think you are missing my point and Smithians. Harper is the problem not Moore. He just needs to regroup. Sit him here or let him get his edge back in 'Cuse. Bernie can cover for him with his magical lighter bat and slot in Moore against LHP. It is only for 15 games and Harper is certainly going to be rested for 3-4 of them.

I don't disagree with what you have proferred I just think the damage would be minimal for the team if he goes back for 2 weeks.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #91: August 16, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
I want him up and in the line up v. the Braves.  If that means a game off v. the Mets to just work in the cage (once Bilo escapes the cage), fine.   It's the idea of sending him down until the end of the minor league season that I don't accept.  I don't see having him hit against junkballers in AAA is going to help him all that much with major leaguers with major league stuff. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #92: August 16, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Interesting lineup, but I don't really like Werth leading off. It didn't seem like he liked that role last year.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #93: August 16, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »
Junk ballet may help since laying off crap out of the zone seems to be one of his problems, also destroying aaa pitching could be a nice confidence boost

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #94: August 16, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
I say that it is not a matter of Harper needing to prove anything in AAA, but more that he still has hitting lessons to learn: hitting stuff that breaks to the outside, for example. Where can he learn?

First thought: platoon him with Moore in LF, putting Bernie in CF. Yes, Moore is painful to watch on tough plays, but Harper needs to hit LH pitchers throwing  pitches that break outside and dip. That doesn't happen in a platoon.

And...

- Morse needs to play every day
- Lombo needs to play often, and seems the best leadoff hitter

I've got no answers. That's why the Nats benefit from Davey. He had Ray Knight/HoJo, Mookie and Dykstra, Backman and Timmy Teufel. He'll figure it out.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #96: August 16, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
RZK he never did anything to earn his call-up... He was struggling in AAA when they brought him up.

It's what surprised me so much about his hot start in the MLB.

who is rzk?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #97: August 16, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
RyanZimsKazoo.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #98: August 16, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
RyanZimsKazoo.

oh haha i thought linty meant ryan zimmerman (with a random k in there).

bryce is going to bounce back.  not worried.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #99: August 16, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
I think Harper needs some more seasoning in the minors because he really does look lost.  It did wonders for Trout.  Look at his 2011 vs 2012 stats.  This would also give Lombo the chance to still lead off.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/troutmi01.shtml