Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 168735 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #50: October 13, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
I think there's a 99% chance that Lannan gets non-tendered. It remains to be seen if they will then sign him to another deal.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #51: October 13, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
1: Cut Edwin loose. He's not consistent enough to be on a good team, especially when Lannan could probably do what he does for way less.
2: Back end of bullpen help. Broxton, Uehara, and Madson are good options.
3: Bring Laroche back on a two year deal.
4: Trade Morse. Tyler Moore is a better option at this point. Yeah, he's a big lumbering oaf in the outfield like Morse, but he can be shifted to first when Laroche's new contract is up, thus clearing left for Harper and opening up center for whichever CF prospect pans out.
5: New starter. I would be okay with Lannan, but I have a feeling it won't be that simple. Haren is a former D-Back, so I can see Rizzo signing him to an Edwin type deal. I can also see them offering Greinke the moon. Seriously. I could totally see that happening.
6: Leave Danny alone. Keep Lombo around just in case, but let's give Danny another shot.
7: That's pretty much it. The rest will come about naturally as our young guys gain more experience.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #52: October 13, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
I'd like to do a run-down, position by position:

2013 roster:

1B - LaRoche*
2B - Espinosa
3B - Zimmerman
SS - Desmond
C - Suzuki/Ramos

LF - Werth
CF - Parra** or B.J. Upton***
RF - Harper

OF - Bernadina
OF/IF - Moore
IF - Lombo
IF - Tracy

SP - Stras
SP - Gio
SP - JZimm
SP - Grienke/Haren
SP - Detwiler

RP - Storen - Closer (yes still you ungrateful nags!)
RP - Garcia
RP - Mattheus
RP - Stammen
RP - Burnett ‡
RP - Lefty ‡‡
RP - Madson ‡‡‡

* - LaRoche signs a 2 year extension worth 25 Mil with a mutual option for a third
** - Parra would be a leadoff hitter with great CF defense, but I wonder if he is more of an 8 hole hitter with the option of Werth leading off.
*** - I still have a feeling a change of scenery helps Upton out here, and Washington may still be the best place for him.  He would bat 2nd or 6th and Werth would still lead off.

‡ - Burnett and the club come to the mutual option year.  He is not extended and this is his last year as a Nat.
‡‡ - No really good FA targets so I think a trade is in order unless we take back Mike Gonzalez who was pretty solid and gives us lots of vet experience.
‡‡‡ - Best option to have here, and likely too I think.  Wouldn't be a closer, but it was evident that this bullpen needs solid experience back there.

Lineup with Upton:

1.  LF - Werth
2.  RF - Harper
3.  3B - Zimmerman
4.  1B - LaRoche
5.  SS - Desmond
6.  CF - Upton
7.  C - Suzuki
8.  2B - Espinosa
9.  P - Pitcher

Lineup with Parra:

1.  CF - Parra
2.  RF - Harper
3.  3B - Zimmerman
4.  1B - LaRoche
5.  LF - Werth
6.  SS - Desmond
7.  C - Suzuki
8.  2B - Espinosa
9.  P - Pitcher

Obvious players gone from this season:

Morse - Traded for relief pitching to an AL club.
Clippard - Traded for a potential lefty bat in the minors.

Hard to lose both here, but I think after Clippard's saves this year, he has high value (not as good as after last year though) and Morse has great value to an AL club.  I like them both, but the OF defense must become stronger and honestly a guy like Parra or Upton provides more defensive value and in the case of Upton, similar power production just not as high of an average.  Parra sorts out the lead off questions, but Werth is a good option for now.  This team could use left handed relief options for the future, so I think that is something to pursue with both of these guys in a trade.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #53: October 13, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Sorry for the long post!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #54: October 13, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
Greinke+Upton=Do not want

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #55: October 13, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »
Agree - let's try Garcia as the 5th starter

Greinke+Upton=Do not want

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #56: October 13, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
Gerardo Parra isn't a free agent this offseason and is under team control till 2015. What are we trading to get him?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #57: October 13, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
Either let LaRoche or Morse go so Moore gets in there. If you sign LaRoche then trade Morse. If you can't sign LaRoche move Morse to 1B.

Let Jackson go and get a fifth starter, maybe even bring Lannan back. You have Stras, Gio, JZimm and Det at the top and that's a dominant rotation if they keep improving.

Let some of the arms come up to bolster the pen. I like Garcia in the pen but they keep talking about him as a starter next year. I still like Drew as the closer.

This team won 98 games this year. They don't need a whole lot.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #59: October 13, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
I think there's a 99% chance that Lannan gets non-tendered. It remains to be seen if they will then sign him to another deal.

Why pay him to stay in the minors thus year to cut him loose?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #60: October 13, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
some notes from MLBTR:

Mark DeRosa was left pondering his future after last night's game, writes Amanda Comak of The Washington Times.  The 37-year-old believes that he has been hampered by injury in recent years and is capable of doing more, but isn't sure if another opportunity will come along this winter.  Then again, the veteran noted that he wasn't expecting a phone call last year either before the Nats signed him to a one-year deal in December.

Reliever Sean Burnett seems likely to turn down his end of the $3.5MM mutual option he has for the 2013 season, but he would ultimately like to return to the Nats, writes Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.  Burnett will undergo surgery next week to take care of a bone spur issue, according to a person familiar with his injury.

Earlier today, we learned that Edwin Jackson would like to stay with Washington as he gets ready to hit the open market.  Adam LaRoche also reiterated his desire to stay put but disclosed that contract talks have yet to really advance.

Offline imref

« Reply #61: October 13, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
Good sign - Kilgore says the Nats and LaRoche are working on an extension.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/10/13/adam-laroche-nationals-hope-to-reach-new-contract/

3/$39 with a mutual option for a 4th might work.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #62: October 13, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Good sign - Kilgore says the Nats and LaRoche are working on an extension.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/10/13/adam-laroche-nationals-hope-to-reach-new-contract/

3/$39 with a mutual option for a 4th might work.

I like the idea of an extension because we need more of a balance of lefty/right bats, but at the same time I think Tyler Moore is the future at 1B (who, by the way, should have gotten more pinch hit opportunities this postseason) and don't want to lose him or put him to waste.

Offline imref

« Reply #63: October 13, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
I like the idea of an extension because we need more of a balance of lefty/right bats, but at the same time I think Tyler Moore is the future at 1B (who, by the way, should have gotten more pinch hit opportunities this postseason) and don't want to lose him or put him to waste.

I see your point, but i'm guessing Rizzo would prefer the LH bat.  Put Moore in for LaRoche and the only lefty is Harper (and Danny).  Moore is good trade bait.  Hmmm, which one of Oakland's starters do we want?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #64: October 13, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Gerardo Parra isn't a free agent this offseason and is under team control till 2015. What are we trading to get him?

Get creative?  :shrug:

Probably going to take someone like Meyer but not much else.  Parra had a good season, but still isn't the .300 AVG, .350 OBP lead off guy that other teams are desperate for.  I think he comes cheaper than Denard Span, who is probably closer to what the Nats need at the top of the lineup.

I have a question to the guys saying that Garcia or Lannan would be adequate as the other guy in the rotation.  Are you serious?  If you have a chance to get a Grienke or a Haren and all it costs is just money, and it improves the rotation to make it the best in the game, why don't you do it?  Look, now fans are seeing a winning team.  They got really close but certain areas of the game fell through and they couldn't win outright.  Now fix the issues by going out and getting great players.  Garcia is great, but I don't see him being nearly as effective as a starter.  He has three great pitches, but he is just wild enough with just enough velocity to be a very good reliever.  Especially with his age, I don't think it's time to try the C.J. Wilson treatment on him.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #65: October 13, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »

Probably going to take someone like Meyer but not much else.  Parra had a good season, but still isn't the .300 AVG, .350 OBP lead off guy that other teams are desperate for.  I think he comes cheaper than Denard Span, who is probably closer to what the Nats need at the top of the lineup.

I have a question to the guys saying that Garcia or Lannan would be adequate as the other guy in the rotation.  Are you serious?  If you have a chance to get a Grienke or a Haren and all it costs is just money, and it improves the rotation to make it the best in the game, why don't you do it?  Look, now fans are seeing a winning team.  They got really close but certain areas of the game fell through and they couldn't win outright.  Now fix the issues by going out and getting great players.  Garcia is great, but I don't see him being nearly as effective as a starter.  He has three great pitches, but he is just wild enough with just enough velocity to be a very good reliever.  Especially with his age, I don't think it's time to try the C.J. Wilson treatment on him.

Lol, it will take more than Meyer.

Seriously, some of you value prospects way too much. Meyer is still projected to be a reliever. He's at least two full seasons away from anything other than spot duty. And the D-Backs want to trade away Upton, not Parra. The Dbacks will be looking middle infielder or third baseman, which we don't really have a plethora of.

And while it is just money, you can't expect a GM to just go out and spend tons of it. Especially since that GM has just spent time and money developing a team that had the best record in baseball. We're looking at very minor changes this offseason. That money needs to be slotted to sign players to long term extensions. And we've already depleted the farm system with the Gio team. What we have is still several years away. Which limits our trading partners to teams that are 3-5 years from competing.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #66: October 13, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
Why pay him to stay in the minors thus year to cut him loose?

Strasburg insurance, like they said from the beginning

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #67: October 13, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »

Agreed.  We have a legit chance to make another run next season.  Now isn't the time to get cheap, especially when you have a chance to get ANOTHER top of the line starter.

Offline nicksnats

• Uk Natitude!
« Reply #68: October 13, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the deal is with trades and contracts? Is it like basketball with a salary cap?

As much as a love Morse id like to see a bit more speed in the outfield. Other than that I dont see why we should make drastic changes. We had the best regular season record which could have been 100+ wins if we had more luck.

I may be talking complete crap so excuse my rookie opinions!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #69: October 13, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
Strasburg insurance, like they said from the beginning

$5 mil is a lot of money for insurance, it doesn't make sense to me to pay that much money if he's not in our long term plans.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #70: October 13, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »
When you trade for a player, you get the contract.

My desire to trade Morse stems from this being as high a trade value as we're going to get and he will be a free agent after next season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #71: October 13, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
$5 mil is a lot of money for insurance, it doesn't make sense to me to pay that much money if he's not in our long term plans.

We paid it this year

Offline imref

« Reply #72: October 13, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »
Lol, it will take more than Meyer.

Seriously, some of you value prospects way too much. Meyer is still projected to be a reliever. He's at least two full seasons away from anything other than spot duty. And the D-Backs want to trade away Upton, not Parra. The Dbacks will be looking middle infielder or third baseman, which we don't really have a plethora of.

And while it is just money, you can't expect a GM to just go out and spend tons of it. Especially since that GM has just spent time and money developing a team that had the best record in baseball. We're looking at very minor changes this offseason. That money needs to be slotted to sign players to long term extensions. And we've already depleted the farm system with the Gio team. What we have is still several years away. Which limits our trading partners to teams that are 3-5 years from competing.

agreed.  I don't think we do much other than sign another starter, a utility player, and a bullpen arm.  I don't think Rizzo is making any big trades.  If anyone does get traded, it's likely to be Tyler Moore.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #73: October 13, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »
We paid it this year

Yeah, that's what I meant, we paid a ton of money to keep him on the team this year, I'd be surprised if we let him go.  But plans change and maybe he was just insurance for 2012.

Offline johnsk54

« Reply #74: October 13, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
While the wounds are still fresh... it's going to be hard to find fault with Eckstein after the team scored the second most runs in Nationals history this season... with only the 2006 team scoring more.
Well said !