Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 96513 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #125: March 14, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
Chester may have been the best lineman on the team last season. You probably read that on some publication (maybe even paid them for it).  :lmao:

There's no question Jackson is more explosive. He has a better yards/rec ratio but he's also been in the league 3 more years. Garcon was 53 yards shy of your magical 1000 yard season playing with the likes of Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky. Also, Jackson has two DUI's and another driving arrest that led to a 3 game suspension so he's a couple of cocktails away from a long suspension.

Garcon is a number 2. The Skins paid 42 million for a number 2 receiver.

Then they go and get Josh Morgan, who's, at best, a number 4.

Redskins gonna Redskins

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #126: March 14, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »

Redskins gonna Redskins

I don't disagree with any of this.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #127: March 14, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
So, basically, all that building through the draft mantra is going to be tossed out the window. Good grief.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #128: March 14, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »

Quit trolling.

:lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #129: March 14, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

without a first or second round pick, it's not like they had any way of getting anything better than a number two except for Jackson, and he has other baggage

Offline spidernat

« Reply #130: March 14, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
without a first or second round pick, it's not like they had any way of getting anything better than a number two except for Jackson, and he has other baggage

True but that doesn't alter my stance.

Quit trolling.

:lol:

:?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #131: March 14, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »

Wes Welker - 6th Round pick
Steve Smith - 3rd round pick
Victor Cruz - Undrafted
Mike Wallace - 3rd round
Brandon Marshall - 4th round
Brandon Loyd - 4th round
Steve Johnson - 7th round

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #132: March 14, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
Victor Cruz - Undrafted
Mike Wallace - 3rd round
Brandon Loyd - 4th round

great, how many other receivers went in those rounds and busted- Brady was drafted in the 6th- should we pass on RGIII?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #133: March 14, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »
great, how many other receivers went in those rounds and busted- Brady was drafted in the 6th- should we pass on RGIII?

Plenty of busts were taken in the first round. My point is that quality players can be found throughout the draft. Even at receiver. This year's draft is actually pretty deep at receiver too.

But no, we decided to throw money at Pierre Garcon. Oh yay ... a receiving cadre filled with average number 2s, old guys in the slot, guys who can't run routes and Brandon Banks ....

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: March 14, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »
If a guy is an obvious number 1, they aren't making it to the third round, yes we should take a guy somewhere, but it's a gamble and the team has other needs, and signing Garcon at least gives them a number two (something they didn't have last year)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #135: March 14, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
They had a lot of #2 last year.  :?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #136: March 14, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »

Redskins gonna Redskins

Morgan was actually a solid signing, I like him.

The point about WRs in the draft is that they're very hard to project in the first few rounds. Tons of busts. You can get good players in Rounds 4-7 and through undrafted (especially the possession types). Instead of paying 42 million for a mediocre WR.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: March 14, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
You can get good players in Rounds 4-7 and through undrafted (especially the possession types). Instead of paying 42 million for a mediocre WR.

that's a great solution if you're a team with decent wide receivers and you just want to replenish and make sure you have depth, the redskins have nothing- if they bring back the elderly and run a few late round picks out there, it won't go over well 

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #138: March 14, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »
Chester may have been the best lineman on the team last season. You probably read that on some publication (maybe even paid them for it).  :lmao:

There's no question Jackson is more explosive. He has a better yards/rec ratio but he's also been in the league 3 more years. Garcon was 53 yards shy of your magical 1000 yard season playing with the likes of Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky. Also, Jackson has two DUI's and another driving arrest that led to a 3 game suspension so he's a couple of cocktails away from a long suspension.

Honestly, you're right.I checked ProFootballFocus. I suppose it depends on your ideas on football sabermetrics. It said he was nearly as bad as Brown... I didn't watch Chester intently enough to say whether he was good either way (though I will note that he was graded well on pass blocking...).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #139: March 14, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
I hope Broyles is still there in the fourth round ....

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #140: March 14, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
If there was one player I wish the Redskins would sign, it's Eric Winston. Very good RT, would provide a massive upgrade over Brown, and best of all he just came out of a zone blocking system very similar to Shanahan's. Unfortunately, though, he wants to play for a winner. That, and the Redskins have no cap space (if they care about following the rules).

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #141: March 14, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
Morgan was actually a solid signing, I like him.

The point about WRs in the draft is that they're very hard to project in the first few rounds. Tons of busts. You can get good players in Rounds 4-7 and through undrafted (especially the possession types). Instead of paying 42 million for a mediocre WR.

If there was one player I wish the Redskins would sign, it's Eric Winston. Very good RT, would provide a massive upgrade over Brown, and best of all he just came out of a zone blocking system very similar to Shanahan's. Unfortunately, though, he wants to play for a winner. That, and the Redskins have no cap space (if they care about following the rules).
Dan Snyder continues to run the Redskins as a fantasy football team.  He focuses on the positions used in fantasy football (QB, WR's, RB's), looking for "names" that he recognizes.  A RT or safety, etc is not a fantasy football position, so they don't matter to him. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #142: March 15, 2012, 12:01:05 AM »
Dan Snyder continues to run the Redskins as a fantasy football team.  He focuses on the positions used in fantasy football (QB, WR's, RB's), looking for "names" that he recognizes.  A RT or safety, etc is not a fantasy football position, so they don't matter to him. 
(Image removed from quote.)

I do believe that Shanny is calling most of the shots here. I also agree that Winston would be a great addition.

As far as the receivers go, I think Hankerson has #1 potential. Potential mind you, I'm not saying he will be a #1 but I think he has the talent to be one. Granted we only saw one real game of him, but in that one game, he showed a lot of what made a pretty good prospect. Garcon will, if nothing else, stretch the field and give the team a good deep threat and he did pretty good for the Colts considering the mess they had at qb last season.

It sounds like Josh Morgan is one of those dark horse kind of guys that teams started to take notice of. True he didn't do much last year, but he was hurt.

At least Dan Snyder isn't spending crap tons of money on past-their-primes and never-was' again.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #143: March 15, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »
My son's comments on the latest news-

Haven't heard anything yet official on Eddie royal, but I like the Josh Morgan signing bc its cheap and he's an underrated stud (he was a quietly productive beast for the 49ers last year). Not crazy about how much I think we overpaid garcon but hopefully he lives up to the contract and becomes the number 1 receiver he has been trying to be. I also think this is going to be a huge year for Leonard hankerson. We need to get o-line and start getting Fletcher's situation straightened out. Have no idea what to do with Landry?!?!?!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #144: March 15, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »
Why bring in Pierre, I like to drop the ball, Garcon for 42 million dollars? At least VJ has had a 1000 yard season. As the number 1 receiving option.

According to Mike Clay with Pro Football Focus, in 2010, Garcon finished with 13 drops on 119 targets, the third-worst ratio among qualified wide receivers. The most notable drop occurred in the 2010 Super Bowl against the Saints, a play some considered a turning point in the Colts' loss....

Despite an uptick in targets (123), Garcon finished 2011 with only five drops and the 15th-best ratio among wide receivers. It should also be noted he posted career-high numbers (70/947) despite the non-Mannings throwing him passes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/pierre-garcon-has-good-hands/2012/03/14/gIQAd18zBS_blog.html

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #145: March 15, 2012, 02:57:40 AM »
It's all about speed and YAC.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #146: March 15, 2012, 07:30:03 AM »
Terp its because all tye Colts did was throw bubble screens and short passes. He had three monster games last year. The rest of the time he was average.

Eric Qinston and Ben Grubbs should have been this team's first priorities. Once again, Redskins doing it wrong. Danny has to be the off season champ.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #147: March 15, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
According to Mike Clay with Pro Football Focus, in 2010, Garcon finished with 13 drops on 119 targets, the third-worst ratio among qualified wide receivers. The most notable drop occurred in the 2010 Super Bowl against the Saints, a play some considered a turning point in the Colts' loss....

:lmao:  While technically the drop in the SB against the Saints happened in 2010 (February 2010 to conclude the 2009 season) this shows how idiotic it is to pay any attention to these joke publications that put out inaccurate crap for fantasy football geeks. They quote the 2010 season numbers and point out that the most notable drop of that campaign occurred in a game that was part of another season.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #148: March 15, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »

Victor Cruz - Undrafted
Mike Wallace - 3rd round
Brandon Loyd - 4th round

Calvin Johnson - 1st round
Larry Fitzgerald - 1st round
Andre Johnson - 1st round
Randy Moss - 1st round
Greg Jennings - 2nd round
Ochocinco - 2nd round
Deshaun Jackson - 2nd round

For the sake of picking solidly established guys, I'll leave off Dez, Crabtree, Julio Jones, and AJ Green for now.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #149: March 15, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
:lmao:  While technically the drop in the SB against the Saints happened in 2010 (February 2010 to conclude the 2009 season) this shows how idiotic it is to pay any attention to these joke publications that put out inaccurate crap for fantasy football geeks. They quote the 2010 season numbers and point out that the most notable drop of that campaign occurred in a game that was part of another season.

But does that change the fact that he had 5 drops last season? Or do you have other stats you can list? I'm not suggesting this is gospel, I'm just putting it out there that perhaps his drop issues are less a problem now than they were before.

So rather than being totally douchey and dismissive of what I proffered, how about you counter it with something informative as opposed to mindfacts and arrogance, Super Bowl drop notwithstanding.