Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 89614 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Remember past years when we traded away guys like Guzman, Marquis, Jerry Hairston, and others for a random Single-A prospect? I want to see the Nats add a player or two this season that way. We did last season with Gomes and he was a minor plus. I think we'll probably try to find one more reliever to replace H-Rod.

It is easy to say I'd like to see an extra outfield bat brought in to replace DeRose, but remember our outfield isn't bad right now. With Morse hitting we are now have two spots (Morse+Harper) locked down and in the last remaining spot we can rotate Lombo and Moore. Ankiel and Bernadina are good bench piece. Maybe we bring in an extra OF bat, but the situation immediately becomes very cluttered and then if Werth comes back healthy then the depth gets very deep and ABs become tough to find.

If I could choose, I'd like to see a veteran utility guy. Someone who can play MI and keep Desmond and Espinosa fresh. I know Lombo can play SS but I don't think the coaching staff trusts taking Desmond off the field.

Also, SUNSHINE ALERT

How awesome is it guys like Ankiel and Bernadina, former opening day starters, are finally backups? Right now our bench is made up of guys like Lombo, Moore, etc. I can't think of a season the past few years that our bench wouldn't make up our starters. We obviously have to get better but the improvement is happening. Right now we're asking the question "Is someone better than what we have?" rather than "Please God, get Cora/Guzman/AlGo/Bernie off the field! Trade for anybody!"