Author Topic: Davey to Rest the Regulars Once Nats Clinch NL East  (Read 778 times)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Davey to Rest the Regulars Once Nats Clinch NL East
« Topic Start: September 24, 2012, 11:37:33 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8420341/washington-nationals-davey-johnson-sit-regulars-once-team-clinches

What do you guys think?  Sounds like Davey agrees with my logic that we would be better off playing the Giants than a wild card team.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: Davey to Rest the Regulars Once Nats Clinch NL East
« Reply #1: September 24, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
Hell, I don't care if we're the #1 or #2 seed (I'd prefer to play the Giants, of course), I'm just glad that Davey is going to rest the starters. No need to wear them out before a postseason sprint. And it lets the team see how these minor league players and non-regular can play. More T-Mo ABs!

Offline zoom

« Reply #2: September 25, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
personally, i would like to win the division before discussing this stuff.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #3: September 25, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
personally, i would like to win the division before discussing this stuff.

If the Nats go 4-5 the Braves would have to win out to win the division.  I feel like we pretty much have this thing wrapped up.  Put a bow on it.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #4: September 25, 2012, 12:31:02 AM »
And actually that's wrong.  The Braves would tie the division in the instance I just described.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #5: September 25, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
The magic number is combination of Nats wins AND Braves losses.  So my thinking is. If we win the division. I doubt the Braves could tie. 

So yeah.  REST THEM

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #6: September 25, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8420341/washington-nationals-davey-johnson-sit-regulars-once-team-clinches

What do you guys think?  Sounds like Davey agrees with my logic that we would be better off playing the Giants than a wild card team.

Who are we to say otherwise but facing a team that probably has used its ace and and may be emotionally worn out from a one-game playoff might be an advantage over facing a division winner that's rested and has its rotation lined up.

Offline zoom

« Reply #7: September 25, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
If I am a betting man, I take Hamels over Lannan and Medlan over Eovaldi.  That would bring us to a magic number of 5 with 8 to play.   We aren't there yet.   

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #8: September 25, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
If I am a betting man, I take Hamels over Lannan and Medlan over Eovaldi.  That would bring us to a magic number of 5 with 8 to play.   We aren't there yet.   

According to the site, its Detwiler vs. Hamels

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #9: September 25, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised (but happy) to see this. Also, there is a news article that says Wang gets one more start this year...

According to the site, its Detwiler vs. Hamels

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Yeah, I was surprised (but happy) to see this. Also, there is a news article that says Wang gets one more start this year...

I wouldn't be surprised if Wang got the start after we clinched. Or are we going with a 6 man rotation and we'll put him in when it's his turn?

Offline CALSGR8

I'll have to see what Kilgore says.  I want Detwiler in a routine for post season!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I remember last year the Phillies rested their starters, we 4-game swept them, and they never got their momentum back. The hot teams that are competing in races at the end of the year have been winning.

So I don't really like the idea of resting starters but I trust Davey.

Offline CALSGR8

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/09/24/all-three-left-handers-to-face-phillies-chien-ming-wang-could-make-another-start/

Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post
Ross Detwiler will pitch the opening game Tuesday of the upcoming series in Philadelphia, followed by John Lannan and Gio Gonzalez.

Offline Ray D

I don't care when we clinch the division, we don't rest until the Phillies are eliminated.  We could clinch best record before the end of the season and if the Phillies still have  a chance at the wild card, we need to play that last series like it's the playoffs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Pedo Bear needs his ABs. Don't deny him his ABs.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Who are we to say otherwise but facing a team that probably has used its ace and and may be emotionally worn out from a one-game playoff might be an advantage over facing a division winner that's rested and has its rotation lined up.

Both teams will be on the same amount of rest which as we know can be hazardous to baseball teams so the playing field is even there.  Also I just believe the Nats match up very well against the Giants.  In the last two seasons we are 9-4 against them including 5-1 this season.  Both teams have great pitching but the Nats have the superior bats so I think the Giants are just one of those matchups in sports where we just have a huge advantage.  Even Davey has mentioned that he doesn't like the idea of not knowing where he would open the DS and if we are the second seed we will know where it will be played.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
I don't care when we clinch the division, we don't rest until the Phillies are eliminated.  We could clinch best record before the end of the season and if the Phillies still have  a chance at the wild card, we need to play that last series like it's the playoffs.

It's almost impossible to clinch before the Phillies are eliminated. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Davey won't rest all the regulars. He will give days off in rotation...probably more often for guys who are playing hurt, like Ryan Z and Espi.

First example is Morse, now: sore hand, needs time off, and the Nats have Bernadina, Moore, Lombo, and Corey Brown who could play LF.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.

There are so few games left that it probably won't even have an effect on the W-L record to give regulars a rest.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Playoff opponent doesn't matter to me right now - we're playing like crap.  I'd like to see a happy medium of resting and ensuring the players are ready for the playoffs. 

Offline aspenbubba

I remember last year the Phillies rested their starters, we 4-game swept them, and they never got their momentum back. The hot teams that are competing in races at the end of the year have been winning.

So I don't really like the idea of resting starters but I trust Davey.

+ 1

Spot starts for the Goons. Late inning substitutions when the game is in -hand. A little work for the starters like 3 innings.

Rest Morse , Zim and Espi. Let Desmond get to back to .300 and rest him. It is not like we haven't been successful when everyone was out at one time or another. Sit Harper so he can re-focus and get one more HR to pull ahead of Mel Ott.I think he is pressing the issue.

Offline hammondsnats

that's fine.  let 'em rest.  if we have the division won (and possibly the #1 seed), it's fine to rest some of our regulars. 

MLB Network agreed with Davey and said you can go about it two ways ... start your regulars, but pull them after an AB or two and then play your bench guys.  Or give a few of your regulars a day off and fill them with bench guys, the next day, flip flop. 

It'd be good for Lombardozzi, Tracy, DeRosa, Flores, etc to get ABs before the playoffs.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Last two World Series winners didn't rest anyone. Pedal to the metal

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
I think it is fine to rest them (in football I'm against the resting thing).  Do the second way give the regulars a day off and have the bench guys play, then next game switch off.