Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 12114 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #150: March 31, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
Fugazi reunion would be good.

Hell yeah. Fugazi.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #151: April 01, 2012, 04:30:44 AM »
Just saw Moody Blues will be at DAR on the 3rd. I haven't been to one of their concerts since they played Baltimore when I was just out of the army. Met a Baltimore girl and dropped my 1st tab. What an amazing trip.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #152: April 01, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
Just saw Moody Blues will be at DAR on the 3rd. I haven't been to one of their concerts since they played Baltimore when I was just out of the army. Met a Baltimore girl and dropped my 1st tab. What an amazing trip.

Ah, the Moody Blues.   +1

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #153: April 01, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »

Got a wife and kid in Baltimore Jack
I went out for a ride and I never got back....

On my wayy for dinner and BRRRUUUUUUCE!  J ust getting in the mood!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #154: April 02, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »
Awsome show.  Lets see if loading the picture works.  Usually its too big.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #155: April 02, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »
It was on a huge screen with 2 side screens.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #156: April 02, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »
Did he do the microphone flip? 

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #157: April 02, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
Springsteen show was excellent last night. Great performance and setlist. I last heard "Trapped" live at the Capital Centre on the "Other Band" Tour in August 1992, so that one was nice to hear with the full band. I don't listen to Tracks or Greetings very often but it was nice to hear "Seaside" and "Does This Bus Stop," just like two years ago it was a surprise to hear "Blinded by the Light." The ovation on "Tenth Avenue" was moving. Just went on and on. Perfect show-closer on this tour. The sound was a lot better than some other Verizon Center shows. I think part of that is highly dependent on where you sit. For a McCartney show about 10 years ago we were in the upper level corner, around Section 404, and we could barely make out his introductions to the songs due to poor acoustics. My wife said she had some trouble with the intros last night, but I didn't (other than the annoyance caused by the chatterbox behind us, of course). I thought there seemed to be less of the "bouncing" or "echo" effect you sometimes get at an arena show and that the sound wasn't nearly as muddy. Also, everybody's mentioned the addition of the horns and how they flesh out the sound, and I agree with that, but the thing we both noted that we enjoyed were the steel drums.

Only downside for us was some of the people in the crowd around us marred the experience, but that's not something anyone can control. We were in 110. Guy next to me was quite tall (I'm just over 6 feet) and rather fat and I kept having to duck around him to try to see the stage. Plus, he smelled foul—I think he hadn't used deodorant—and he was one of the people who raises his arms above his head to applaud. Ugh. At least he only did the annoying "mobile phone videographer" bit once at the beginning. (I almost pulled out my phone to take a picture and post online saying "Don't be this guy," but ultimately said "Why bother" because the people who need to see that sort of thing wouldn't ever see that sort of comment online.) My wife had the seat to my left and she's short, so I was doing my damndest not to block her view of the stage, but she said afterwards that basically she could only see the left side of the stage (Soozie/Nils/Bruce). Same guy also announced quite loudly "TIME FOR A BEER RUN" during "The Promise" (one song I'd never heard live and had long wanted to).

Before the show we discovered to our surprise that four of my wife's work colleagues were in the row behind us a few seats over (four women)....proved annoying when it turned out that two would-be Romeos had the two seats to their left (immediately behind us) and spent the whole show hitting on my wife's colleagues. The guy immediately behind us just wouldn't shut the freak up for even 30 seconds....I came damn close to blowing up at him when he kept talking loudly during "My City of Ruins." Plus he was spitting dip into a cup and I kept feeling like he was going to spill it. The guy was doing everything he could to get in that woman's pants, but she didn't leave with him at the end of the show....

I suppose my worst crowd experience remains Billy Joel and Elton John at Nationals Park two or three years ago. We were on the floor and some of the crowd were demanding that people remain seated, to the point of calling ushers to demand that people be told to sit (the ushers, to their credit, refused to do so). I also recall back in April of 1992 I won free tickets, 12th row on the floor, to a Bryan Adams concert in Roanoke and the arena staff insisted that we remain seated or else be ejected. So those two remain the worst crowd experiences.

But it's a shame that our memory of last night's show is likely to be tarnished for a long time by the unpleasant crowd experience.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #158: April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »
I also recall back in April of 1992 I won free tickets, 12th row on the floor, to a Bryan Adams concert in Roanoke and the arena staff insisted that we remain seated or else be ejected. So those two remain the worst crowd experiences.

Are you sure that wasn't at the Salem Civic Center?  Either way, I remember going to that one in eighth grade. 

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #159: April 02, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »
Are you sure that wasn't at the Salem Civic Center?  Either way, I remember going to that one in eighth grade. 

I'm pretty sure it was the Roanoke Civic Center arena, the same place where they hold the bar exam every July. (Even though I passed the bar, the concert trip was still a far more enjoyable visit to that place....) A band called the Storm were the opening act. I won the tickets from WUVA-92.7 FM in Charlottesville (talk about convenient ticket pickup, their office was one floor down in my dorm).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #160: April 13, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
Springsteen at Nats Park - September 14.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #162: April 21, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
Great band, saw them as Soul Brains in high school (1996?).  No thanks for $29+ in 2012.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #163: April 24, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
Springsteen at Nats Park - September 14.

Season ticket holder pre-sale tomorrow at 10.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #164: April 24, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »
It's funny.  My only concern was how many tickets I can buy.  Not how much.  Haven't seen Bruce live since 2002. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #165: April 24, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »
How many do you want ?

It's funny.  My only concern was how many tickets I can buy.  Not how much.  Haven't seen Bruce live since 2002. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166: April 24, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »
I can get up to 6, so that's what I'll do and worry about who to sell them to or give them to later.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167: April 25, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
JCA-CCIC.  Went with the Gallery level seats rather than field or lower level.  Tinge of regret now.  Section 306 is heavenly, perhaps too heavenly.  I'm too old for the field, although I'm guessing most of his fans are too old for the field.  Lower seating bowl would have been the right play, I think.  A little elevation might help to see the stage. But nighttime, Bruce, and a view of the Capitol from the ramps isn't bad.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #168: April 25, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
JCA-CCIC.  Went with the Gallery level seats rather than field or lower level.  Tinge of regret now.  Section 306 is heavenly, perhaps too heavenly.  I'm too old for the field, although I'm guessing most of his fans are too old for the field.  Lower seating bowl would have been the right play, I think.  A little elevation might help to see the stage. But nighttime, Bruce, and a view of the Capitol from the ramps isn't bad.

I got six in Sec. 128 (behind Nats dubout) for $122 (with charges) each. I just went with the best available and since I'm not an experienced online concert buyer, I was afraid to keep searching and ending up with crappy seats.

I know I might get pummeled for saying this, I'm not that super excited about seeing Bruce. I was really into him in HS and must have seen a couple of dozen of his shows from 1975-79. From North Carolina to Connecticut. I just feel like that was a special period in my life and I can't recapture that. Besides I don't like his new stuff that much.:~)

I will probably just sell the tix to friends at face value. Or maybe I'll go. Don't know yet.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #169: April 25, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
The last time I saw Springsteen where he was really amazing was, I believe, 2004.  Anytime since then he's either been a total bore or been way too low key.  Throw in that his recent album, which he'll play at least 4-5 songs from, is a total disgrace to the guy that wrote "Racing in the Streets" and you've got a recipe for an old freak driving S-class Mercedes nostalgia fest.  I'll just have to go with remembering that awesome show I saw him do in 2000.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #170: April 25, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
I bought 4 in 131, row W.  $125 ea. all-in.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #171: April 27, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
Somebody just posted this in the DC ticket sale thread on a Springsteen forum:

I got seats in LOT B...what is that the parking lot? I only bought them because they were cheap ($40 each) but I don't see them on the seating chart.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I bought two tix in 321 Row A via the general public sale this morning.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172: April 27, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »
I assume you will be standing the whole time except when he does weird country yodeling stuff with Patty, so the glass underneath the rail should not be a problem.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #173: April 28, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
I assume you will be standing the whole time except when he does weird country yodeling stuff with Patty

Really? Then, I'm not going.

OK, I just had possibly the coolest thing ever happen to me. A good friend of mine (all the way back from high school) calls me and he's all pumped about dropping like $300 a ticket on seats in the lower bowl. "Are you in man, or what?" and "my wife has never seen Bruce" and "man, that will bring some memories" and all that.

Calmly told him I got two tickets for him and his wife in Sec. 128 for face value of $125...Seriously, I think he soiled himself.

Still don't think I'm going to go though. I really don't like anything he's recorded in like the last 25 years....

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174: April 28, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »
25 years?  1987?  The Rising is pretty good, and I think Magic holds up really well.  The live album from MSG made a few of the cuts off of his 90s work sound terrific, like Youngstown.